Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Coffey testing NBA future

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Coffey testing NBA future

Post by HeHateMe »

Declared for the nba draft and will hire an agent. New rule still means you can come back despite having an agent.
Last edited by HeHateMe on Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Coffey testing NBA ftuture

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:39 pm Declared for the nba draft and will hire an agent. New rule still means you can come back despite having an agent.
He won't be drafted. I will say this is a good one to come out in. It's a horrible draft.

This might be his best chance with the talent in this draft and also being seen on a bigger stage. No guarantees they will be back there next year.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:41 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:39 pm Declared for the nba draft and will hire an agent. New rule still means you can come back despite having an agent.
He won't be drafted. I will say this is a good one to come out in. It's a horrible draft.

This might be his best chance with the talent in this draft and also being seen on a bigger stage. No guarantees they will be back there next year.
reports are he's probably gone if a team even in the second round gives him a promise. I'm on the fence if he'll get picked but I definitely think he's an NBA level talent. He'll be 22 in June, makes sense to try and go pro now.

I do think on the court they'll miss Murphy more if both move on but those are two pretty gigantic holes to fill. I would assume Michael Hurt initially starts at SF (unless they get a grad transfer?) and then Tre Williams eventually takes the 3 spot from Hurt.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:51 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:41 pm

reports are he's probably gone if a team even in the second round gives him a promise. I'm on the fence if he'll get picked but I definitely think he's an NBA level talent. He'll be 22 in June, makes sense to try and go pro now.

I do think on the court they'll miss Murphy more if both move on but those are two pretty gigantic holes to fill. I would assume Michael Hurt initially starts at SF (unless they get a grad transfer?) and then Tre Williams eventually takes the 3 spot from Hurt.
He's not on one mock draft board and they take into consideration guy's who haven't declared.

Dumb move imo. He won't stick anywhere and will end up playng overseas if he even makes a NBA team.

It was known in the beginning of the season from comments by his dad that they would attempt this.

I guess it's all about that money. Even if you sign one deal and don't make it, it's hard to blame a guy. That's life changing money and maybe your only chance at it.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Re: Coffey testing NBA future

Post by RubeTube »

Maybe he also thinks this team isn't going to make much noise next year also. It's not like they are winning a 10 championship or anything.

I can see his point. No ill will to a guy who wants to get paid. I don't see anything that suggests he will even remotely be a good NBA player but that's my opinion.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

No harm in trying with the new rules. But I tend to think 2nd round pick at best. If that's the case and he isn't guaranteed a deal or a roster spot, why not come back for one more go? Especially if he can move back to his natural position and showcase a little better.
Let's get Tropical
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Same thing Murphy did last year.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

He could lead the Big Ten in scoring as a senior with Murphy gone. That's a ticket to at least a 2nd round pick I'd think.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

He's 22 in June, I think he would prefer to leave now and go get paid.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Say Coffey did get drafted. What the hell does Coyle do?!?

I don't think this team will be that good next year without Murphy. At best they have a year like this last one. You lose Coffey and Murphy and they will be terrible.

I honestly can't see Pitino getting a extension here unless he goes deep in the tourney.

People are ripping on Arkansas program and like Feek said, they fired a HC who had a 60% win percentage in conference.

Meanwhile we have a guy who is going on year 7 with a 30 games below .500 Big 10 record.

You can't extend Richard imo unless a miracle is to happen next year.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Obviously take it with a grain of salt but over at GH, some are saying people are hearing that Coffey is leaving no matter what. Even if he's not drafted he will go overseas, G league etc..

Someone says he has beef with Pitino and is ready to bounce.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:17 am Obviously take it with a grain of salt but over at GH, some are saying people are hearing that Coffey is leaving no matter what. Even if he's not drafted he will go overseas, G league etc..

Dude, have you paid attention to anything the last couple of years with Coffey family and Pitino? This isn't new information!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:04 am Say Coffey did get drafted. What the hell does Coyle do?!?

I don't think this team will be that good next year without Murphy. At best they have a year like this last one. You lose Coffey and Murphy and they will be terrible.

I honestly can't see Pitino getting a extension here unless he goes deep in the tourney.

People are ripping on Arkansas program and like Feek said, they fired a HC who had a 60% win percentage in conference.

Meanwhile we have a guy who is going on year 7 with a 30 games below .500 Big 10 record.

Amazing how some people ripped Coffey this year and now we're terrible without him next year!

If Coffey is gone, that means they have 5.... count 'em again, FIVE open scholarships. Lot of room to play with, two starting forward spots open with a nice supporting cast still in place. Carr, Kalscheur and Oturu have all proven they can play in one year. I think Tre Williams will be solid, he won't come in with Coffey hype but I think he'll be able to step in fairly quick.

I'm fine with a Pitino extension to get through this year. To me the biggest thing for his future is which local 2020 kids does he lock up. You have to fire him if he can't get any of them.
Swaggy Pie

Post by Swaggy Pie »

0 chance he leaves IMO.

If he works his ass off on his three ball (focusing on catch and shoot, which would require him playing more off-ball) maybe he can play himself into a 1st round pick in the 2020 draft. But, not now.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Doesn't look like a guy who wants to come back.
Swaggy Pie

Post by Swaggy Pie »

That mean he's 100% leaving? Fuck.
Style

Post by Style »

It must be really bad between him and Pitino. There's no way leaving school is in his best long term interests BB wise.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Swaggy Pie

Post by Swaggy Pie »

If he goes: 2nd round pick (if not undrafted) and he'll essentially be choosing life in the G League over senior season with Gophers.

(although I said zero chance he leaves above, so...)
Swaggy Pie

Post by Swaggy Pie »

Why the hell did "G League" automatically link to an ecommerce page for "Badger Sport Big League Youth Custom Baseball Pant".

WHAT is wrong with this board?!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Swaggy Pie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:37 am If he goes: 2nd round pick (if not undrafted) and he'll essentially be choosing life in the G League over senior season with Gophers.

(although I said zero chance he leaves above, so...)
If Amile Jefferson can get a two way deal, so can Amir Coffey!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:31 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:17 am Obviously take it with a grain of salt but over at GH, some are saying people are hearing that Coffey is leaving no matter what. Even if he's not drafted he will go overseas, G league etc..

Dude, have you paid attention to anything the last couple of years with Coffey family and Pitino? This isn't new information!
I knew his dad did some bitching etc but I didn't think it was to this point.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Greg Marshall appears to be the target right now.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:34 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:04 am Say Coffey did get drafted. What the hell does Coyle do?!?

Amazing how some people ripped Coffey this year and now we're terrible without him next year!

If Coffey is gone, that means they have 5.... count 'em again, FIVE open scholarships. Lot of room to play with, two starting forward spots open with a nice supporting cast still in place. Carr, Kalscheur and Oturu have all proven they can play in one year. I think Tre Williams will be solid, he won't come in with Coffey hype but I think he'll be able to step in fairly quick.

I'm fine with a Pitino extension to get through this year. To me the biggest thing for his future is which local 2020 kids does he lock up. You have to fire him if he can't get any of them.
This team doesn't have a whole lot. Coffey didn't live up to the hype for me but it still doesn't mean he isn't one of our better player's.

It's really not that hard to figure out.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Style wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:32 am It must be really bad between him and Pitino. There's no way leaving school is in his best long term interests BB wise.
I thought it was weird he thanked his family, fans, and supporters, but not coaches. But that could also be me looking way too hard into things. I hope he’s back. He’s an AllBig 10 player next season.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:24 pm Greg Marshall appears to be the target right now.
I haven't seen his name anywhere.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:42 pm
Style wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:32 am It must be really bad between him and Pitino. There's no way leaving school is in his best long term interests BB wise.
I thought it was weird he thanked his family, fans, and supporters, but not coaches. But that could also be me looking way too hard into things. I hope he’s back. He’s an AllBig 10 player next season.
That is interesting though the picture has him shaking Pitino's hand. Hard to say, I know Richard Coffey is on record saying he doesn't know what type o offense Pitino runs so I'm assuming there is real frustration there. Because Coffey played so well down the stretch, he has to explore his options. And again, he's 22 in June. Can his game improve next year? Maybe but IMO what we saw the last few weeks of the season was Coffey at his top except he was playing PG not wing. It makes sense for him to head out. I hope somehow he gets drafted just so we can stop talking about how long it's been since a Gophers player got drafted.
Style

Post by Style »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:48 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:24 pm Greg Marshall appears to be the target right now.
I'd trade Coffey and Pitino for Marshall and call that an enormous W for the U of M.

But, where's that info coming from?
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:03 pm
I'd trade Coffey and Pitino for Marshall and call that an enormous W for the U of M.

But, where's that info coming from?
Didn't see it on Gophers Illustrated or Gopherhole …. and if there's any rumor, it's posted on there within minutes.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:51 pm I know Richard Coffey is on record saying he doesn't know what type o offense Pitino runs
I think a lot of people watching have that same question.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Well it's out there.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master