Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

State of the Gophers Hoops

Home for Gopher Basketball
full force five

Re: State of the Gophers Hoops

Post by full force five »

Nice write up from a guy who is plugged in. It all hinges on Coffey honestly. If he is a back we will be in contention for a Big-10 title, if not we will have to scratch and claw for a shot at the NCAA's.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:55 pm Nice write up from a guy who is plugged in. It all hinges on Coffey honestly. If he is a back we will be in contention for a Big-10 title, if not we will have to scratch and claw for a shot at the NCAA's.
I tend to agree. They're a bubble team without him but with him they're able to compete with anyone in the big ten. Talent wise I still think they'd have less than the 16-17 team just because that team boasted such a great starting lineup in Mason, Springs, Coffey, Murphy and Lynch with Curry and McBrayer off the bench but if Coffey is back, that's a really good starting lineup with Willis/Curry/Tre/Omersa/Hurt as the backups. Not too bad.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

I don’t see Coffey in mock drafts. Does he have reliable info he will be picked?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
AlohaBob

Post by AlohaBob »

si has him listed as 77 best prospect. List compiled last month (4/23) and does not take into account players above him who have since removed themselves from the draft...

So if I can use a college basketball term, it appears he is on the bubble.

77. AMIR COFFEY, G/F, MINNESOTA | JUNIOR
Height: 6’8” | Weight: 210 | Age: 21 | Last Rank: NR

Coffey closed the season playing the best basketball of his career, and while it may not be enough to get him drafted, his growth since moving over to play point forward has been noteworthy. He has good vision for the position, terrific size and some burst off the dribble, and has quietly developed into an intriguing prospect. Coffey is not the most convincing three-point shooter, which is his biggest impediment to an NBA roster, but he brings something to the table defensively and as a secondary creator that’s worth noting. He might benefit from returning for one more season and spending an entire year playing on the ball.
Hornets wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:17 pm I think those who claim to be LBGT are sick and disgusting and yet you apparently are ok with it......most dems are.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 pm
full force five wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:55 pm Nice write up from a guy who is plugged in. It all hinges on Coffey honestly. If he is a back we will be in contention for a Big-10 title, if not we will have to scratch and claw for a shot at the NCAA's.
I tend to agree. They're a bubble team without him but with him they're able to compete with anyone in the big ten. Talent wise I still think they'd have less than the 16-17 team just because that team boasted such a great starting lineup in Mason, Springs, Coffey, Murphy and Lynch with Curry and McBrayer off the bench but if Coffey is back, that's a really good starting lineup with Willis/Curry/Tre/Omersa/Hurt as the backups. Not too bad.
And also Ihnen. I think he can have an immediate impact.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:22 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 pm
And also Ihnen. I think he can have an immediate impact.
Hope so... I'm keeping expectations low for him and Freeman at this point. I do think both have pretty good upside.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Sigh.....tough start to the season.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Why can't Richard's teams ever shoot FT's? They are 8-17 today. That is embarrassing.
Let's get Tropical
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Well have a lot of free time on our hands for the winter as this team is done before they even get to the Big Ten season...story of Little Richie's tenure his team can't shoot free throws
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Herky

Post by Herky »

DePaul is pretty good I think. Iowa was in on Charlie Rose hardcore and word was he was going to come to Iowa until his Dad asked Fran for money for a commit. Fran backed off and he went to Cal. Then left for Kansas and now DePaul. The entire team is new but they are better than people thought.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:30 pm Well have a lot of free time on our hands for the winter as this team is done before they even get to the Big Ten season...story of Little Richie's tenure his team can't shoot free throws
This should be his last year. This squad is atrocious and there is no standout talent coming up on this roster other than Oturu.

Coyle hit a HR with Fleck. I believe he will with the next BB coach.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:02 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:30 pm Well have a lot of free time on our hands for the winter as this team is done before they even get to the Big Ten season...story of Little Richie's tenure his team can't shoot free throws
This should be his last year. This squad is atrocious and there is no standout talent coming up on this roster other than Oturu.

Coyle hit a HR with Fleck. I believe he will with the next BB coach.
Attendance this year will be atrocious, hope Coyle can do what he did with Fleck and get a guy in here that can recruit and bring some energy. The Barn is best venue in Minnesota when team is good and place is packed.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I'm in the camp that fully believes Richard is in trouble. The continued swings and misses at the state's top talent are going to loom large. Way too many fliers on players that have no business being in the Big 10 either.
Let's get Tropical
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:31 am I'm in the camp that fully believes Richard is in trouble. The continued swings and misses at the state's top talent are going to loom large. Way too many fliers on players that have no business being in the Big 10 either.
He loves to give scholly's in spring to fringe players as he is desperate after missing out on his main targets
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Gophers haven’t been able to shoot free throws since the 90s.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:31 am I'm in the camp that fully believes Richard is in trouble. The continued swings and misses at the state's top talent are going to loom large. Way too many fliers on players that have no business being in the Big 10 either.
This. He's never recruited as well as some have made it out either imo and it's getting worse.

I have said it before... New coaches come in and there is always a excitement level in the first couple recruiting classes. Happened with Tubby, Monson, Richard etc.. It wears off though if you don't keep it "Hot" and it's wore off for Pitino about two years ago.

He's not a good X's and O's coach, players don't seem to develop under him and his recruiting is sub par at this point. Why are we holding on to this guy?

Imo, he won't have a job as big as this one again.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:26 pm
This. He's never recruited as well as some have made it out either imo and it's getting worse.

I have said it before... New coaches come in and there is always a excitement level in the first couple recruiting classes. Happened with Tubby, Monson, Richard etc.. It wears off though if you don't keep it "Hot" and it's wore off for Pitino about two years ago.

He's not a good X's and O's coach, players don't seem to develop under him and his recruiting is sub par at this point. Why are we holding on to this guy?

Imo, he won't have a job as big as this one again.
"As big" .. it's time you again look at the history of the program. It's not very impressive. I guarantee Richard will have another power 5 job at some point in his career.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

At some point here he needs to put Ihnen and Tre out there and let them sink or swim. Demir should be a bench guy, I might even say bring Willis off the bench. You need to try and develop guys who are going to be here for awhile. Everyone who matters on the team is here for 2-3 years. Sooner you figure out what you got in the younger guys, the better.

Oturu/Omersa
Ihnen/Demir
Williams/Hurt
Kalscheur/
Carr/Willis
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Dick didn't schedule a weak non-conference, but you'd still like the record to be better. Hopefully playing higher level competition in the non-conference will help this team down the road. Michigan State is notorious for this, though they are a better basketball program than the Gophers, so play even better competition in the non conference. Usually they sacrifice a few wins by doing this, but coming down the stretch of the season, they always seem to put it together.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Herky wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:58 pm DePaul is pretty good I think. Iowa was in on Charlie Rose hardcore and word was he was going to come to Iowa until his Dad asked Fran for money for a commit. Fran backed off and he went to Cal. Then left for Kansas and now DePaul. The entire team is new but they are better than people thought.
I was impressed. Charlie Moore controlled the game, wish I could have him over Marcus Carr. Reed and Butz were really tough inside. Coleman-Lands and Weems were solid wings and then Hall was a really tough defender. They had him harrassing Carr all over the floor on defense. Good DePaul squad.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:02 pm Dick didn't schedule a weak non-conference, but you'd still like the record to be better. Hopefully playing higher level competition in the non-conference will help this team down the road. Michigan State is notorious for this, though they are a better basketball program than the Gophers, so play even better competition in the non conference. Usually they sacrifice a few wins by doing this, but coming down the stretch of the season, they always seem to put it together.
It's a fair argument to say "I thought I would have Amir" when they made the schedule.. Most thought Coffey would return but also worth considering Coffey was unbelievable the last few games and was already turning 22 in the summer. Why not go out on a high note versus coming back where you really don't have to prove anything. Coffey wasn't here for records, wanted to play for the Gophers but his goal was always to play in the NBA.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Little Richy got that dick wet tonight.

Didn't see it watching Kings HWks
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Looking at the roster, they are young. All the “good” players will be around for a while. They also have a couple of four star guys coming in.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Clemson is in really, really rough shape this year. They had 3 starters I think out with injuries. Oturu in foul trouble a lot, as were other players.

My worrisome thing will be they basically have 7 guys (again) that Pitino trusts. Maybe 8 if you count Tre Williams. Then it's Greenlee, Freeman, Ihnen and Rudrud after that. Could be a long year.

Ihnen and Freeman must be way, way behind for the lack of minutes they're getting.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Bob Wiley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 am Looking at the roster, they are young. All the “good” players will be around for a while. They also have a couple of four star guys coming in.
Have read they're still in on Kerwin Walton. Why one might ask.... because Pitino's system favors guards big time. He gives them freedom and will let them play a ton of minutes if they're doing well.

Mashburn Jr is a player, undersized but a player. Mitchell is raw but will be much better than Sam Freeman.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I hate this playing two B10 teams and going back to non conference for awhile. It's ridiculous.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Big 10 opener tonight. Who is pumped? No one? Yeah, me either. I think this might be the most apathetic I've ever been for Gophers basketball.

They need some Jackie Moon level promotion to make this interesting.

Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:25 pm Big 10 opener tonight. Who is pumped? No one? Yeah, me either. I think this might be the most apathetic I've ever been for Gophers basketball.

They need some Jackie Moon level promotion to make this interesting.

ZERO hype.

I didn't have any last year either and they over achieved but were still pretty mediocre. This team rough.

Better or worse than the 15-16 year? That is thy question.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Gonna be a snoozer of a year, wouldn't you type?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

These guys suck