Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Boilermakers @ Gophers

Home for Gopher Basketball
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Re: Boilermakers @ Gophers

Post by Ask Not »

Lunardi has Ohio St. (1 win vs. top-25) as a 10 seed
Gophers (4 wins vs. top-25) as an 11.
They're in and if they beat Maryland, they could be a 10 seed.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:55 am Lunardi has Ohio St. (1 win vs. top-25) as a 10 seed
They 100% have a tournament resume, the problem is overall wins. You'd like 1 or 2 more, the Nebraska game and Rutgers will stick out the most. You HAVE to win those games.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:15 am
Nancy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:55 am Lunardi has Ohio St. (1 win vs. top-25) as a 10 seed
They 100% have a tournament resume, the problem is overall wins. You'd like 1 or 2 more, the Nebraska game and Rutgers will stick out the most. You HAVE to win those games.
Most years, yes. This year it probably won't hurt them. Of course another win or two helps greatly, but most everyone they're on the bubble with plays 18 conference games. The Big 10 plays 20.
Last edited by feekdogg on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:15 am
Nancy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:55 am Lunardi has Ohio St. (1 win vs. top-25) as a 10 seed
Both road loses though. If they lost one of those games at home, I agree, doneskis. The non conference wins are really helping their chances, imo.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:55 am Lunardi has Ohio St. (1 win vs. top-25) as a 10 seed
I think I'd prefer an 11 seed. It depends on how everything shakes out, but the Big 10 probably isn't getting a 1 seed. It's possible that 2 of Mich, MSU or Purdue end up 2 seeds. Since teams from the same conference can't play in the round of 32 (technically, the Gophers could play MSU if they don't face them in the conference tourney, I guess), that would leave the Gophers with a 2nd round matchup with Tenn/Kentucky/Duke/UNC if they win round 1. If they're an 11 seed, they'd be more likely to matchup with a team like Houston/LSU/Texas Tech, etc. That seems like a better route to try ti make the Sweet Sixteen.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:08 am
I think I'd prefer an 11 seed. It depends on how everything shakes out, but the Big 10 probably isn't getting a 1 seed. It's possible that 2 of Mich, MSU or Purdue end up 2 seeds. Since teams from the same conference can't play in the round of 32 (technically, the Gophers could play MSU if they don't face them in the conference tourney, I guess), that would leave the Gophers with a 2nd round matchup with Tenn/Kentucky/Duke/UNC if they win round 1. If they're an 11 seed, they'd be more likely to matchup with a team like Houston/LSU/Texas Tech, etc. That seems like a better route to try ti make the Sweet Sixteen.
I'm sold. Go Maryland.
Ketchup can be nuancy
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Ohio State loses to NW tonight. That moves Gophers even closer to lock status.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I'm happy for the win over Purdue, and think the Gophers deserved it, butt...I'm reading some posts on GH, and they are all seem to be convinced that the ball was not off of Coffey, and we didn't get some help from the refs on that. I know its hard to overturn, as they called it off the Purdue guy, but that ball was clearly off of Coffey...twice even. The homerism on GH gets my blood boiling.

As far as the Gophers tournament prospects, I think they are in, but would have no problem if they arent. They didn't take care of a few teams they should have that won't be in the tournament. I guess its all about the quadrant system now though, and the Gophers got some good quad 1 wins. The team is definitely good and talented enough for the tournament, I just kind of feel they might not deserve it considering their road record, and not beating some bad teams. Looking forward to next season when this team will actually have some PG options.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:28 pm I'm happy for the win over Purdue, and think the Gophers deserved it, butt...I'm reading some posts on GH, and they are all seem to be convinced that the ball was not off of Coffey, and we didn't get some help from the refs on that. I know its hard to overturn, as they called it off the Purdue guy, but that ball was clearly off of Coffey...twice even. The homerism on GH gets my blood boiling.

As far as the Gophers tournament prospects, I think they are in, but would have no problem if they arent. They didn't take care of a few teams they should have that won't be in the tournament. I guess its all about the quadrant system now though, and the Gophers got some good quad 1 wins. The team is definitely good and talented enough for the tournament, I just kind of feel they might not deserve it considering their road record, and not beating some bad teams. Looking forward to next season when this team will actually have some PG options.
My frustration is I think this year has really exposed Richard as the leader of the program. I'm not sure if I can list all the issues but I feel like in bits and pieces I've put it all out there in the past. The idea that Ben Johnson didn't want to work for him anymore and Kimani Young took off when Pitino picked HIS guys in the last class with Harris/Washington over local kids who were interested in committing. He's historically been late on offering local kids who are maybe high major but then blow up their junior year... off the top of my head, Tyrell Terry, Tyler Wahl, Brad Davison, J'Vonne Hadley now.. there are others but you get the idea.

Now this year, he kicks Stockman to the curb to get Geno Crandall who spurns him of course to go to Gonzaga. His inability the last several years to have a decent bench is 100% on him. Two years ago with Curry and McBrayer coming off the bench was the only time where the bench looked somewhat OK but even after that it was only Hurt/Konate as the next guys available. Konate/Diedhiou, colossal mistakes! Relying on the NCAA to clear Marcus Carr when their only excuse was his coach was fired and it was a toxic environment? I believe they should be allowed to play immediately if they transfer when a coach they signed with is fired but come on... that rule is NOT in place.

The current roster and going into next year worries me a bit. Who are the bigs next year outside of Oturu? Yes, I know spring recruiting is big but I'm nervous. Matthew Hurt has 100 eliminated Minnesota now, I'm sure he'll end up at Duke but still... I think he wanted to come here and play with his brother. It's Pitino why he won't come here.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I would rather rack up as many wins as possible.

Keep winning.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:59 pm I would rather rack up as many wins as possible.

Keep winning.
As opposed to?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:23 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:59 pm I would rather rack up as many wins as possible.

Keep winning.
As opposed to?
Some in the comments were talking about seeding placement and why it may be a benefit to lose.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Keep winning.
As opposed to?
Some in the comments were talking about seeding placement and why it may be a benefit to lose.
Got it, yeah, I don't care what the seed is. I wanted to make the tournament, getting a 5th seed two years ago or getting an 11th seed this year makes zero difference to me. Once you get in, you'll get in there with another good team and battle it out for 40 minutes, season on the line.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:15 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:29 pm
As opposed to?
Got it, yeah, I don't care what the seed is. I wanted to make the tournament, getting a 5th seed two years ago or getting an 11th seed this year makes zero difference to me. Once you get in, you'll get in there with another good team and battle it out for 40 minutes, season on the line.
Go in with some momentum. This is honestly about where I thought this team would be but I didn't think this would be good enough for a tourney bid. Give or take a game or two.

They could really rise above my expectations by beating Maryland and making some noise in the B10 tourney.

Who knows, Michigan wasn't anything special last year but they got hot at the end.

They obviously had more talent than we do but you never know. :thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master