Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:23 pm
Ask Not wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 am

IMO, Richard will leave on his own after next season. Buyout is getting lower which is nice for the U but I think Richard will look to see what job potentially opens out east.
Someone needs to want him first. Who's going after a sub-par to middlin' coach from Minnesota? I don't know if you're over-valuing the school or his last name.
Agree. I don't think he should ever have been given a opportunity of this magnitude to begin with.

I don't see him being sought after.
Be more specific. You don't see him getting a power 5 /6 job or what? He's going to be a head coach again after he leaves Minnesota.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:11 pm
Be more specific. You don't see him getting a power 5 /6 job or what? He's going to be a head coach again after he leaves Minnesota.
He'll coach again, but I don't think he'll be sought after following next year unless he make a surprising run in the tourney and becomes a 'hot candidate.'

As far as I'm concerned, he's a version Tim Miles, Fran McCafffery or Chris Collins and I don't think any of them are going to be widely sought after for meaningful jobs. Hearing rumors of other schools sniffing around does not equate to movement.
Ketchup can be nuancy
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:28 pm
He'll coach again, but I don't think he'll be sought after following next year unless he make a surprising run in the tourney and becomes a 'hot candidate.'

As far as I'm concerned, he's a version Tim Miles, Fran McCafffery or Chris Collins and I don't think any of them are going to be widely sought after for meaningful jobs. Hearing rumors of other schools sniffing around does not equate to movement.
I don't think he's as good as even those 3.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

St Johns just opened up.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Reusse says St Thomas getting booted is 99%
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:09 pm St Johns just opened up.
I could definitely see Pitino going there if he was on the hot seat here.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:26 pm
St Johns isn't hiring Pitino. They can do much better.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:29 pm
Yeah? Steve Lavin has been their best coach in last 20+ years.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Mike Jarvis says hello.

Yes they have had some bad coaches, that's the point. Why hire another one that's 30 games under .500 in conference play.

He's a hair better than the lame duck coaches they have had recently.

St. Johns is still a much bigger destination than the Gophers.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 pm

Mike Jarvis says hello.

Yes they have had some bad coaches, that's the point. Why hire another one that's 30 games under .500 in conference play.

They’re not getting a top tier coach. I think they would hire Pitino. Agree to disagree.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 pm

Mike Jarvis says hello.

They’re not getting a top tier coach. I think they would hire Pitino. Agree to disagree.
I agree they won't get one now. Most of the top candidates are gone. I liked Mullin there but he quit.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 am

Someone needs to want him first. Who's going after a sub-par to middlin' coach from Minnesota? I don't know if you're over-valuing the school or his last name.
Agree. I don't think he should ever have been given a opportunity of this magnitude to begin with.

I'll say this.. It won't be as good of a job as he has now. It will be a BIG downgrade.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Well, if Pitino really is an East coast kind of guy, it doesn't get much more East coast basketball than St John's in the heart of NYC. The heat is that they want Bobby Hurley though.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:51 pm

I'll say this.. It won't be as good of a job as he has now. It will be a BIG downgrade.
So you're saying out of the power 5/6 conferences then... come on, get specific otherwise you're not really saying much here.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:16 pm Well, if Pitino really is an East coast kind of guy, it doesn't get much more East coast basketball than St John's in the heart of NYC. The heat is that they want Bobby Hurley though.
He's spent most of his life in the Kentucky area or northeast (Dad was coaching the Celtics, Knicks etc), Pitino went to Providence and had some assistant gigs out there too I believe. I absolutely think he'd love to "head home" at some point.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 am
So you're saying out of the power 5/6 conferences then... come on, get specific otherwise you're not really saying much here.
It won't be a job as good as Minnesota. That's what I've got.

This will be the best job Tiny Pitino (Love that one from my new friends over at the Razorbacks forum) will ever have.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:15 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 am

It won't be a job as good as Minnesota. That's what I've got.

This will be the best job Tiny Pitino (Love that one from my new friends over at the Razorbacks forum) will ever have.
Minnesota is one of the weaker power 5/6 jobs in the country... so I'm trying to get some perspective on your expectations.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

JB Bickerstaff will be the Gophers coach at this time next year. I’m calling it. ;)
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:18 pm JB Bickerstaff will be the Gophers coach at this time next year. I’m calling it. ;)
I'd take him now.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:42 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:18 pm JB Bickerstaff will be the Gophers coach at this time next year. I’m calling it. ;)
I'd take him now.
So would I, no question. But don’t see it happening. I think JB would be a rockstar coach in college basketball. Coached in the NBA, relatively young, and defense is his calling card.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Craig Smith has to be the name to watch going into this year if things don't go well for the Gophers and Pitino.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I'd be good with JB
Let's get Tropical
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Didn't want to start a new thread, but Beilein left Michigan to coach the Cavs and Jowan Howard replaced him. :shock:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:19 pm Didn't want to start a new thread, but Beilein left Michigan to coach the Cavs and Jowan Howard replaced him. :shock:
I'm assuming you just learned about that (not ripping you for it)… I think it was a great move for Michigan. I continue to think Pitino needs an assistant with local ties .. the area and/or to the U.