Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Home for Gopher Basketball
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Re: Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Take it for what it’s worth, because Doogie is hit or miss, but he said in his last Scoop podcast that Eric Musselman(Nevada) would have interest in the gophers job we’re it to open up. Pitino just beat Purdue again so I’m guessing he’s safe, and Doogie isn’t Captain reliable, but thought I’d post it.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:06 pm Take it for what it’s worth, because Doogie is hit or miss, but he said in his last Scoop podcast that Eric Musselman(Nevada) would have interest in the gophers job we’re it to open up. Pitino just beat Purdue again so I’m guessing he’s safe, and Doogie isn’t Captain reliable, but thought I’d post it.
If this is true, they better strike.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:06 pm Take it for what it’s worth, because Doogie is hit or miss, but he said in his last Scoop podcast that Eric Musselman(Nevada) would have interest in the gophers job we’re it to open up. Pitino just beat Purdue again so I’m guessing he’s safe, and Doogie isn’t Captain reliable, but thought I’d post it.
If this is true, they better strike.
Tough to pink slip Pitino after making it to the B10 tournament Semifinals and the NCAA tournament. But if Musselman is a guarantee I guess I would consider it as AD. IF, IF Musselman was actually interested and agreed.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Doogie talks to agents all the time so he has to decipher when they're lying to him or not. Thursday on 1500 he got a text from a Griffen source (had to be the agent) saying the restructure was done. That was pretty cool to hear live on the radio a local guy get the news before Scheffer or Rapaport.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoiberg will be back in MN recruiting shortly.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:16 pm

Had to think he could do better than Nebraska. I know they have fantastic facilities and support but that’s like the 9th, 10th, or 11th best job in the B10 depending on what you value.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Had to think he could do better than Nebraska. I know they have fantastic facilities and support but that’s like the 9th, 10th, or 11th best job in the B10 depending on what you value.
Apparently he's been checking with recruits through whoever so I don't know what type of head start he has on that job but we shall see.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Boston College rumor dead for now.

SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Whatever keeps him out of the Wolves front office, I guess.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

I don't know who the next one is, but I suspect next year it's Richie the P.
Ketchup can be nuancy
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

With a win in the tournament, Does everyone like Ricky now?
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

He out-coached Mack and won by 10 in a game they were expected to lose by what, 5.5, without a PG. Plus late key injuries too. Pitino had them ready to play. He’s an above-average coach.

Something to build on. Yes, we all would like to have some more guys signed for 2019, but with Kalscheur and Oturu they have a great base.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 pm With a win in the tournament, Does everyone like Ricky now?
I like how this season has finished. He still has a terrible overall record though and was out coached most of the year. They played so bad for a stretch that it almost looked like they wouldn't make the tournament.

I think he deserves to come back for his last on his deal. I would make a decision after that. The last thing I want is them to hand him a extension because he beat a average Louisville team.

They beat Mich St tomorrow, sign him up. Lose and let's see what happens next year.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 pm With a win in the tournament, Does everyone like Ricky now?
There was a stretch where I thought the team was lost. Maybe they were tired, maybe it was the lack of PG talent, Ricky appeared he couldn’t figure out how to adjust in-game and utilize his team to give them the best chance to win (yes, that’s my opinion), but I like how Ricky and his team fought at the end of the season.

I still think IW could been utilized a lot more throughout conference play that could keep him happy and help the team the win. I think there were conflicts in the lockeroom that kept him on the bench this year.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:35 pm
I like how this season has finished. He still has a terrible overall record though and was out coached most of the year. They played so bad for a stretch that it almost looked like they wouldn't make the tournament.

I think he deserves to come back for his last on his deal. I would make a decision after that. The last thing I want is them to hand him a extension because he beat a average Louisville team.

They beat Mich St tomorrow, sign him up. Lose and let's see what happens next year.
Does keeping him on his last year of his deal without any direction really handcuff recruiting?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

So, who's all available again?
Let's get Tropical
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:37 pm So, who's all available again?
:lol:
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

He wasn’t out-coached most of the year. He held his own and then some.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Credit where it's due; that was one hell of a move getting Murphy back in for a curtain call.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

INSIJS wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:15 pm

He wasn’t out-coached most of the year. He held his own and then some.
That's your opinion. No way I believe that. Not saying to fire him but hell to the no.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Don't hand Richard a extension, Coyle.

I'm now rooting for you Richard. In fact, I always have been but I gave up faith. I have said many times that I like Richard as a person but I don't know if he can coach.

With that said... He needs to put together two solid year's in a row.

2013-14 NIT champs. Brings almost everyone back and has a terrible year.

2016-17 #5 seed NCAA tourney team. Brings all the big player's back and the team disappoints.

He hasn't had two consistent year's back to back of a winning team. This coming season is Richard's make or break year imo.

No money needed to be payed out by the school after this year. Have another tournament year, extend him. If not, time to go.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:33 am Don't hand Richard a extension, Coyle.

I'm now rooting for you Richard. In fact, I always have been but I gave up faith. I have said many times that I like Richard as a person but I don't know if he can coach.

2016-17 #5 seed NCAA tourney team. Brings all the big player's back and the team disappoints.

He hasn't had two consistent year's back to back of a winning team. This coming season is Richard's make or break year imo.

No money needed to be payed out by the school after this year. Have another tournament year, extend him. If not, time to go.
The game plan yesterday was beyond terrible. I have very little respect for Little Richard. He gets bitch slapped every time he faces a cerebral HC. It's time to bring in a solid coach that can get the most out of 2-3 star recruits. Little Richie is a disaster.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:42 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:33 am Don't hand Richard a extension, Coyle.

The game plan yesterday was beyond terrible. I have very little respect for Little Richard. He gets bitch slapped every time he faces a cerebral HC. It's time to bring in a solid coach that can get the most out of 2-3 star recruits. Little Richie is a disaster.
How can you game plan against a team like MSU (arguably the best team in the country) when you don’t know if one of your best players can play?

Imo Nerves and a lack of execution put the team in a hole, not the game plan.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

What’s your game plan without Murphy yesterday?

They gave it everything they had. Forced 22 turnovers and kept fighting. Only way to still win was to hit 60% from 3 and it wasn’t close. MSU is better.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Especially down 3 of their top 4 bigs - Murphy, Stockman, Curry
Let's get Tropical
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

INSIJS wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:06 am

They gave it everything they had. Forced 22 turnovers and kept fighting. Only way to still win was to hit 60% from 3 and it wasn’t close. MSU is better.
The fact that the bigs were shooting threes in the first is all you need to know. That game was over before Murphy left the game. Zero ball movement offensively. I 100% agree that MSU is superior. That doesn't mean you just wing it and hope they hit 60% from three. Better ball movement would help create mismatches in their defense and create better shots. It'd also slow the game down for them. Curry was the only player shooting for the first 15 minutes besides a few brick 3 point attempts from Oturu, Murphy and Kalscheur. I think there were 2 or 3 assists in the first half if I remember correctly.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:23 am

The fact that the bigs were shooting threes in the first is all you need to know. That game was over before Murphy left the game. Zero ball movement offensively. I 100% agree that MSU is superior. That doesn't mean you just wing it and hope they hit 60% from three. Better ball movement would help create mismatches in their defense and create better shots. It'd also slow the game down for them. Curry was the only player shooting for the first 15 minutes besides a few brick 3 point attempts from Oturu, Murphy and Kalscheur. I think there were 2 or 3 assists in the first half if I remember correctly.
Wait...WHAT? Curry played yesterday? Thought he was done for the season?!?!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

INSIJS wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 pm He out-coached Mack and won by 10 in a game they were expected to lose by what, 5.5, without a PG. Plus late key injuries too. Pitino had them ready to play. He’s an above-average coach.

Something to build on. Yes, we all would like to have some more guys signed for 2019, but with Kalscheur and Oturu they have a great base.
He's an above average coach? He's won 36% of Big 10 games. One finish above 7th place in the conference in 6 years. Injuries have played a part, but those losses can be circumvented with a solid bench. The Gophers have no depth because he's whiffed way too many times in recruiting.
Beating Louisville was nice, but let's not pretend it was some brilliant coaching scheme. They got hot from 3. Louisville sure wasn't counting on that.
If they don't get back to the tourney next year, he needs to go. 7 years is long enough to prove yourself.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:30 am
INSIJS wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 pm He out-coached Mack and won by 10 in a game they were expected to lose by what, 5.5, without a PG. Plus late key injuries too. Pitino had them ready to play. He’s an above-average coach.

He's an above average coach? He's won 36% of Big 10 games. One finish above 7th place in the conference in 6 years. Injuries have played a part, but those losses can be circumvented with a solid bench. The Gophers have no depth because he's whiffed way too many times in recruiting.
Beating Louisville was nice, but let's not pretend it was some brilliant coaching scheme. They got hot from 3. Louisville sure wasn't counting on that.
If they don't get back to the tourney next year, he needs to go. 7 years is long enough to prove yourself.
This. And stop telling me the Minnesota kids will only go to blue blood schools.

He was in over his head when he got here, which isn't his fault, but now that he's a somewhat capable coach, his recruiters have left. Not a good combination.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Hornets wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:10 am
Small Hands wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:23 am

Wait...WHAT? Curry played yesterday? Thought he was done for the season?!?!
I meant Coffey. Lol. Sorry for the confusion.