Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Home for Gopher Basketball
Bob Wiley

Re: Next Gophers Men’s Basketball Coach

Post by Bob Wiley »

The mark for any Minnesota coach should be beating Iowa, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Northwestern. You should be able to out recruit those schools every year.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:32 pm The mark for any Minnesota coach should be beating Iowa, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Northwestern. You should be able to out recruit those schools every year.
Spot on Bob....spot on!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:30 am
INSIJS wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 pm He out-coached Mack and won by 10 in a game they were expected to lose by what, 5.5, without a PG. Plus late key injuries too. Pitino had them ready to play. He’s an above-average coach.

Something to build on. Yes, we all would like to have some more guys signed for 2019, but with Kalscheur and Oturu they have a great base.
He's an above average coach? He's won 36% of Big 10 games. One finish above 7th place in the conference in 6 years. Injuries have played a part, but those losses can be circumvented with a solid bench. The Gophers have no depth because he's whiffed way too many times in recruiting.
Beating Louisville was nice, but let's not pretend it was some brilliant coaching scheme. They got hot from 3. Louisville sure wasn't counting on that.
If they don't get back to the tourney next year, he needs to go. 7 years is long enough to prove yourself.
Perfectly said. I would also like to know how much intel his old man gave him for the Louisville game.

He's earned his final year here. I agree that he needs another good year. You have really low standards if you think he has been good here.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Are you dopes confident that Coffey comes back for his senior year? The kid played quite well down the stretch and will his dad and others push him to enter the draft?
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Hornets wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:00 pm Are you dopes confident that Coffey comes back for his senior year? The kid played quite well down the stretch and will his dad and others push him to enter the draft?
I think it’s 65/35 he'll be back.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:20 pm
Hornets wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:00 pm Are you dopes confident that Coffey comes back for his senior year? The kid played quite well down the stretch and will his dad and others push him to enter the draft?
I hope he stays as it would be crushing to the program if he doesn't....
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:22 pm
No chance he is not back.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Do you have an inside scoop on this or just a gut feeling? I think there certainly IS a chance he goes, that's my gut feeling.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:29 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Do you have an inside scoop on this or just a gut feeling? I think there certainly IS a chance he goes, that's my gut feeling.
No scoop but I don't see it.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Coffey's only chance in the NBA is as a 3 and D guy...and his 3 is nowhere good enough right now.
He'd probably be OK on a team like Houston, Phoenix or the Lakers. He could just stand in the corner on offense while Harden, Booker or LeBron play iso hero-ball on every possesion.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:30 pm Coffey's only chance in the NBA is as a 3 and D guy...and his 3 is nowhere good enough right now.
He'd probably be OK on a team like Houston, Phoenix or the Lakers. He could just stand in the corner on offense while Harden, Booker or LeBron play iso hero-ball on every possesion.
Pop could do grate things with Amir Coffey.
(as an undrafted free agent - he's not going anywhere)
Ketchup can be nuancy
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:30 am
INSIJS wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 pm He out-coached Mack and won by 10 in a game they were expected to lose by what, 5.5, without a PG. Plus late key injuries too. Pitino had them ready to play. He’s an above-average coach.

Something to build on. Yes, we all would like to have some more guys signed for 2019, but with Kalscheur and Oturu they have a great base.
He's an above average coach? He's won 36% of Big 10 games. One finish above 7th place in the conference in 6 years. Injuries have played a part, but those losses can be circumvented with a solid bench. The Gophers have no depth because he's whiffed way too many times in recruiting.
Beating Louisville was nice, but let's not pretend it was some brilliant coaching scheme. They got hot from 3. Louisville sure wasn't counting on that.
If they don't get back to the tourney next year, he needs to go. 7 years is long enough to prove yourself.
Actual in-game coaching. He hasn’t been getting out coached on the bench very often.

Remember when Tubby would get out-coached in games all the time? Ever watch Turgeon at Maryland?
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I'm pretty sure he is back but I think it's clear the guy will be playing in the NBA at some point in the next year or so.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Now Nate Oats is off to Alabama. Oats and Otzelberger were two guys I figured would be on a short list for Coyle if he made a change.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:43 pm Now Nate Oats is off to Alabama. Oats and Otzelberger were two guys I figured would be on a short list for Coyle if he made a change.
Neither guy excited me. I’m happy to give Pitino time. I’m optimistic on the spring recruiting and next season if Coffey returns.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Credible poster on GI says Mussleman contacted MN to say he'd be interested in the job.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:29 pm Credible poster on GI says Mussleman contacted MN to say he'd be interested in the job.
Is the interest mutual?

Thanks for all the updates!
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Style

Post by Style »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:48 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:29 pm Credible poster on GI says Mussleman contacted MN to say he'd be interested in the job.
Is the interest mutual?

Thanks for all the updates!
Yup, much appreciated.

I’ve never been a big Mussleman supporter so I did a little research to see if I could figure out the rave. Turns out his Wikipedia page, yes lol, is pretty, pretty positive. I think maybe his mom wrote a few of the nice things.

Joking aside, the guy wins wherever he’s at outside of the NBA where I was most familiar with him. In doing a google search and reading a few articles, he seems to be a pretty forward thinker that would identify as a players coach.

54 years old is older than I thought. The clock isn’t ticking on him yet, but it’s definitely in the same room as him.

If Pitino were to bolt to the great state of Arkansas, I think I’d now be okay with him as coach. Still not my #1, but could get behind him. He can thank his mother for her Wikipedia edits to get that extra supporter from MN!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

If this is true, Gophers are moronic for not getting him.

Not a top choice for me but my choices are probably unrealistic. You have a sought after HC who actually wants to come here and Richard isn't even in the same stratosphere as Musselman.

I love the peeps who say "Give Pitino more time" it's year SEVEN!! :lol:

I'm on Razorbacks forum right now. Some good people over there.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Would love to have Muss here! Buh bye Richard!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 am
If this is true, Gophers are moronic for not getting him.

Not a top choice for me but my choices are probably unrealistic. You have a sought after HC who actually wants to come here and Richard isn't even in the same stratosphere as Musselman.

I love the peeps who say "Give Pitino more time" it's year SEVEN!! :lol:

I'm on Razorbacks forum right now. Some good people over there.
I don't see this anywhere anymore. The more time thing came up during year three. Lots of people wanted to fire him yet he had just brought in a fairly good recruiting class and had Coffey/Curry/Hurt locked up for the next year with Lynch/Fitzgerald sitting out.

The defense I think that is out there and is hard to argue with is... what are you expectations? They've made the tournament like 14 times in program history. They should have been in the last three years if not for injuries/Lynch being a sexual predator.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

If this is true why isn't there any steam of this anywhere today? Seems like it would have been leaked. We must not be interested?
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:37 pm
If this is true why isn't there any steam of this anywhere today? Seems like it would have been leaked. We must not be interested?
I’m assuming that interest was if Pitino left for another job.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Yeah, I don't know. Just seems like a holding pattern. Arkansas wants Chris Beard, or at least make a pitch to him. If they can't get him, Musselman probably the guy. But Pitino has talked to with Arkansas and he might be interested in other options too -- Pitino has an extension ready to sign if he's ready but hasn't pulled the trigger apparently yet. Is he waiting for something out east to open up? Seton Hall? St. John's?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:04 pm
Yeah, I don't know. Just seems like a holding pattern. Arkansas wants Chris Beard, or at least make a pitch to him. If they can't get him, Musselman probably the guy. But Pitino has talked to with Arkansas and he might be interested in other options too -- Pitino has an extension ready to sign if he's ready but hasn't pulled the trigger apparently yet. Is he waiting for something out east to open up? Seton Hall? St. John's?
I can't see Beard going to Arkansas (I'm rooting for Tech to win it all) Is it better than Tech? Sure but I would think he is about to approach a level where way bigger opportunities are going to open up than Arkansas.

So the Gophers are talking to Pitino about a extension? Christ.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:24 pm

I can't see Beard going to Arkansas (I'm rooting for Tech to win it all) Is it better than Tech? Sure but I would think he is about to approach a level where way bigger opportunities are going to open up than Arkansas.

Where have you been? The extension was reported earlier in the week... likely one year added to end of deal. He hasn't signed it.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:28 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Where have you been? The extension was reported earlier in the week... likely one year added to end of deal. He hasn't signed it.
Oh ya I saw the extra year. I thought you were talking like a multi year extension.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Ok, I feel like I missed something...when did Arkansas become a coveted job?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Dan33185 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:31 pm Ok, I feel like I missed something...when did Arkansas become a coveted job?
I wouldn't say it's coveted but it's funny how Gopher fans are acting over this.

They are a better program than the Gophers. Then you get the "Why would anyone want to live there"

People from Arkansas are saying the same thing "Why would anyone want to live here"

Minnesota fans are a extremely soft bunch.

They just fired a guy who has taken them to the tourney 3 out of the last 5 year's.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master