Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers @ Purdue, Super Sunday Edition

Home for Gopher Basketball
beetlebum71

Gophers @ Purdue, Super Sunday Edition

Post by beetlebum71 »

Big game for the Rodents today. This is a season-defining opportunity. Beat Purdue in Mackey Arena, and you're a tournament team. Lose, and you've still got to find another signature win. The win at Wisc will go a long way, but losing at Illinois like they did took some of the heat from that one away. They have to find another quality road win. The road games they have left after today are MSU, Nebraska, Rutgers, N'western, and Maryland. They have 3 more opportunities to find that win after today, but I wouldn't want to wait too long. Let's get the W today!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Gophers @ Purdue, Super Sunday Edition

Post by HeHateMe »

beetlebum71 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:55 am Big game for the Rodents today. This is a season-defining opportunity. Beat Purdue in Mackey Arena, and you're a tournament team. Lose, and you've still got to find another signature win. The win at Wisc will go a long way, but losing at Illinois like they did took some of the heat from that one away. They have to find another quality road win. The road games they have left after today are MSU, Nebraska, Rutgers, N'western, and Maryland. They have 3 more opportunities to find that win after today, but I wouldn't want to wait too long. Let's get the W today!
They could win today and go on a horrendous losing streak and still miss. This conference is insane right now. Very small chance they win today but let's hope for an upset. I want that win against Wisconsin this week a lot more than this one.

6-4 is a great spot to be in. As long as they don't completely fall apart going forward they should be in the tournament.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Purdue is favored -11.5

I think we keep the deficit under 10 the entire way. One time, LEGGO!
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

They don't need a win today, but they will need at least one more Top 25 win to go with the 3 they already have.
I'm coming around to 10 conference wins being enough to get them in only because so many other teams will be below that. 10-10 might be good enough for 6th in the conference.
Ketchup can be nuancy
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Too much post up iso early on here. Move the ball. That's what worked so well against Iowa and Illinois. Keep it moving and get easy buckets.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

GREAT shot by Oturo to get us on the board!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Everyone had this is a Trevion Williams vs. Daniel Oturu game, right?
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

What the hell happened to McBrayer's jumper? It is incredibly ugly right now.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

beetlebum71 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:21 am What the hell happened to McBrayer's jumper? It is incredibly ugly right now.
I won't miss McBrayer after the year. He's too up and down for me. He's an average defender at best, streaky shooter, when he drives the ball to the hole he flails nearly every time. He's had some huge steals in close games but he should be a sixth man. Not a starter playing 2nd or 3rd most minutes a game.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Kalscheur the shut down defender.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Great close to the half. I think we saw what they need to focus on in the 2nd half in those last 5 minutes. Get out in transition, make Purdue continue to work for their perimeter looks, and take care of the basketball. Do those things, and the Gophs have a great shot to steal one.
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

What a meltdown.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

These scoring drought just crush this team.
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

That tall kid for Purdue is a total spaz.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Cripes wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:58 pm That tall kid for Purdue is a total spaz.
I disliked him strongly by the end of the game.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

beetlebum71 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:28 pm
Cripes wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:58 pm That tall kid for Purdue is a total spaz.
I disliked him strongly by the end of the game.
Entirely too aware of his hair. Not a fan.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:31 am
beetlebum71 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:21 am What the hell happened to McBrayer's jumper? It is incredibly ugly right now.
I won't miss McBrayer after the year. He's too up and down for me. He's an average defender at best, streaky shooter, when he drives the ball to the hole he flails nearly every time. He's had some huge steals in close games but he should be a sixth man. Not a starter playing 2nd or 3rd most minutes a game.
He's an above average defender.
That said, everything else is off - I'm writing it off to what he's going through off the court. I also think being a senior in a Power 5 conference is a net negative. They all come in believing they can one day be an NBA player and the realization that the dream is dead that accompanies the senior season leaves so many players less than what they were or could be.
Last edited by Ask Not on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:21 am
That said, everything else is off - I'm writing it off to what he's going through off the court. I also think being a senior in a Power 5 conference is also a net negative. They all come in believing they can one day be an NBA player and the realization that the dream is dead that accompanies the senior season leaves so many players less than what they were or could be.
He has quick feet but zero power on defense... people can easily use the muscle to get through him. He's made some incredible timely stops in some games but it's hard to watch offensively. And you're right, I should cut him some slack for the off the court stuff, never know how that affects a person. With that said, I thought he was perfect two years ago as a sixth man and I think they finally could slide him back into that role now and put Washington out there with the starters. The thing with Washington is the guy is pretty elusive, he's shown enough for me lately that he should have a bigger role -- I think that's been happening but give the kid a start here. Try something different!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Carsen Edwards is a gamer. I don't watch a ton of Purdue but he reminded me of Bobby Jackson yesterday. What a player. I hope he goes pro after this year.

Btw, Purdue just beat MSU at home by the same score. Edwards didn't shoot well for that one either.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:28 am
Nancy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:21 am

That said, everything else is off - I'm writing it off to what he's going through off the court. I also think being a senior in a Power 5 conference is also a net negative. They all come in believing they can one day be an NBA player and the realization that the dream is dead that accompanies the senior season leaves so many players less than what they were or could be.
He has quick feet but zero power on defense... people can easily use the muscle to get through him. He's made some incredible timely stops in some games but it's hard to watch offensively. And you're right, I should cut him some slack for the off the court stuff, never know how that affects a person. With that said, I thought he was perfect two years ago as a sixth man and I think they finally could slide him back into that role now and put Washington out there with the starters. The thing with Washington is the guy is pretty elusive, he's shown enough for me lately that he should have a bigger role -- I think that's been happening but give the kid a start here. Try something different!
I agree with your take, but I wonder what effect it would have on Dupree. I think being moved to the bench midway through his senior season would leave him fully castrated. Washington has a chance to be a difference maker. His shot isn't far off and the bigs will benefit from his ability to get by folks.
Ketchup can be nuancy
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

He has attained Myers Leonard levels of punchability.