Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
Sid Hartman

Re: 2020 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by Sid Hartman »

INSIJS wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:12 pm Serious question. Does Pitino get into recruiting or does he mainly leave relationship building to the Assistants and then help close?
If he’s the closer, he’s like the Eddie Gaurdado of closers and not Mariano Rivera type
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Sid Hartman wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 pm
INSIJS wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:12 pm Serious question. Does Pitino get into recruiting or does he mainly leave relationship building to the Assistants and then help close?
If he’s the closer, he’s like the Eddie Gaurdado of closers and not Mariano Rivera type
:lol:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
full force five

Post by full force five »

My son plays for PL. I saw Richard twice at the high school, once when they were playing Lakeville North last year and this fall when they had captains practices. I guess he took his family our to Bonfire in Savage this fall as well. Whatever Pitino is doing locally isn't working. I would hire Dame Johnson or someone plugged in locally. Pitino has a couple nice recruits coming in but difference makers?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I think he's more involved now than he was previously when his staff had Kimani and Ben.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:41 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:23 pm He's going to marquette, Indiana and Minnesota already informed by phone they are OUT.
I think Minnesota will be better off without Garcia. I have an inside source that says the he doesn't possess the strongest character.
I've never heard anything like that myself.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
full force five

I don't agree about the character part. He's cocky, but most kids of his talent are. I do think he's a little soft when playing against kids his own size but it's being picky.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:19 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:23 pm He's going to marquette, Indiana and Minnesota already informed by phone they are OUT.
I think Minnesota will be better off without Garcia. I have an inside source that says the he doesn't possess the strongest character.
I would be surprised if he starts and finishes his career at Marquette. Additionally if a "blue blood" program offered him, he would likely change his mind. It's just a feeling I get talking with someone who knows him.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:13 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:19 am

I would be surprised if he starts and finishes his career at Marquette. Additionally if a "blue blood" program offered him, he would likely change his mind. It's just a feeling I get talking with someone who knows him.
Arizona, UNC and Kansas all offered and were in his top 7. He backed away from Kansas and Arizona supposedly because of the off the court stuff (parents involved I'm sure). UNC got other commitments quicker and they were then eliminated. I think Indiana was second after Marquette but Marquette was appealing to him because it was closer to home.

The interesting nugget about UNC too is they tried to get Kerwin Walton to commit on his visit and he didn't so they went in a different direction. I think Arizona is the favorite there.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Pitino is far from being alone in keeping in-state talent in the BT and did not 3 MN kids start their 1st round NCAA game?

https://m.startribune.com/gophers-tackl ... 565258342/
Oturu, Kalscheur and Omersa were part of Minnesota’s highly touted 2018 class, but they make only three of 22 Minnesota high school players offered by the Gophers who stayed home from the past three classes.

The Gophers aren’t alone in looking out of state recently to fill their roster. They were among seven Big Ten teams that didn’t sign an in-state prospect in the 2019 and 2020 classes, including top-tier programs Michigan State, Michigan and Maryland.

Northwestern hasn’t signed a player from Illinois in four consecutive classes. Minnesota could strike out on in-state prospects for the third time in four years.
Not saying I wouldn't like it to be better just offering some food for thought.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Pitino should bring anyone he can for a visit on Saturday.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:51 pm Pitino is far from being alone in keeping in-state talent in the BT and did not 3 MN kids start their 1st round NCAA game?

https://m.startribune.com/gophers-tackl ... 565258342/
Oturu, Kalscheur and Omersa were part of Minnesota’s highly touted 2018 class, but they make only three of 22 Minnesota high school players offered by the Gophers who stayed home from the past three classes.

The Gophers aren’t alone in looking out of state recently to fill their roster. They were among seven Big Ten teams that didn’t sign an in-state prospect in the 2019 and 2020 classes, including top-tier programs Michigan State, Michigan and Maryland.

Northwestern hasn’t signed a player from Illinois in four consecutive classes. Minnesota could strike out on in-state prospects for the third time in four years.
Not saying I wouldn't like it to be better just offering some food for thought.
My major concern is no MN kids have said yes since Ben Johnson left. Ben was big on getting Murphy and Coffey here as well as the local kids in the past (the three sophomores on the roster).
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:25 pm Pitino should bring anyone he can for a visit on Saturday.
He had some intriguing names at the game last night including Treyton Thompson (2021 big from Alexandria, now at a school in Indiana)
Tre Holloman 2022 pg from Cretin
Malcolm Jones 6-8 2022 kid from Prior Lake.
Cade Haskins 2021 De La Salle shooter
j2j

Post by j2j »

We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Who is that?
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Upon a little research, looks like he's a 4 star for 2021.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Kerwin Walton was at the DePaul game. I walked by him in the concourse at one point.. I can confirm he's taller than me. I'm about 6'3 with my shoes on.
full force five

Malcolm Jones 6-8 2022 kid from Prior Lake. . . . . not there yet for major D-1 looks. He's Robert Jones brother, my guess is he grows another 2 inches. Scored 17 against a butter soft East Ridge team. My god I'm glad we didn't get Carlson who is going to Wisconsin, Dawson Garcia just dominating him score 30. . . .I think Carlson had 15 or 17 points, no way he is more than 6'8".
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:20 am Malcolm Jones 6-8 2022 kid from Prior Lake. . . . . not there yet for major D-1 looks. He's Robert Jones brother, my guess is he grows another 2 inches. Scored 17 against a butter soft East Ridge team. My god I'm glad we didn't get Carlson who is going to Wisconsin, Dawson Garcia just dominating him score 30. . . .I think Carlson had 15 or 17 points, no way he is more than 6'8".
I haven't been too impressed watching Ben at this point. I thought Dainja and Crowl looked better at the state tournament. Garcia is a stud.

Pretty sure I campaigned for the Gophers to offer Robert Jones. Instead they took Sam Freeman who Pitino has basically admitted is a project. Big body but...

Here's Robert Jones' statline at Denver so fr:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-bask ... bert-jones
full force five

Would have taken in a second over Sam Freeman. I know Robert Jones would have signed here. Not flashy but a hard working big man.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Jamison Battle is playing really well (and a ton of minutes) at George Washington. Damn.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Are the rodents in the hunt for Holmgren? If not, why not? Daddy went to the U so why not son?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:11 pm Are the rodents in the hunt for Holmgren? If not, why not? Daddy went to the U so why not son?
Doubt he ends up here. The numbers normally are not good for five star players staying home.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 am
full force five wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:20 am Malcolm Jones 6-8 2022 kid from Prior Lake. . . . . not there yet for major D-1 looks. He's Robert Jones brother, my guess is he grows another 2 inches. Scored 17 against a butter soft East Ridge team. My god I'm glad we didn't get Carlson who is going to Wisconsin, Dawson Garcia just dominating him score 30. . . .I think Carlson had 15 or 17 points, no way he is more than 6'8".
I haven't been too impressed watching Ben at this point. I thought Dainja and Crowl looked better at the state tournament. Garcia is a stud.

Pretty sure I campaigned for the Gophers to offer Robert Jones. Instead they took Sam Freeman who Pitino has basically admitted is a project. Big body but...

Didn't Carlson just put up 40?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:53 pm

No idea, did he? I'm basing this all off what I saw last year. Common sense tells me most of these guys improve their game.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Kerwin Walton was a guest of the Gophers yesterday for the game. Celebrated with the team in the locker room after. Heard from a buddy he was at Buffalo Wild Wings with Omersa and Oturu after the game.
full force five

Seems like were are in a good place for Kerwin Walton. I think we're still in need of another big man, but Mitchell coming in will help. Oturu/Freeman/Mitchell/Omersa is a nice 4 and 5 combo for next year.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:49 pm Seems like were are in a good place for Kerwin Walton. I think we're still in need of another big man, but Mitchell coming in will help. Oturu/Freeman/Mitchell/Omersa is a nice 4 and 5 combo for next year.
Hopefully Curry is healthy too. With Walton they are looking at a lot of options for the 1-3 spots, team would probably have the most depth Pitino has ever had.

Oturu/Omersa/Freeman
Curry/Mitchell/Ihnen
Walton/Williams
Kalscheur/Willis
Carr/Mashburn/Greenlee

That looks really good. I would move Willis to the sixth man, hope you can find some four guard sets too where Walton or Tre can somehow slide to the 4 with one of the bigs. I wonder if Freeman/Ihnen/Greenlee all stay if they remain so deep on the depth chart.
full force five

I could see Greenlee or Freeman moving on. I don't really see Omersa as a 5 however.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:15 pm I could see Greenlee or Freeman moving on. I don't really see Omersa as a 5 however.
He's the 5 when Oturu is out so far. Athletic ability gives him options!
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:17 pm
The Replacements wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:53 pm

No idea, did he? I'm basing this all off what I saw last year. Common sense tells me most of these guys improve their game.
I've heard he scored 40 against Dainja in the Breakdown game at Hopkins. Completely outplayed Dainja, from all accounts that I've heard.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***