Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: 2020 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Foreman would be a good pick up. Too bad on Peterson... they could have used him now if he was sitting out and they had another scholarship to give to a grad transfer who can help immediately.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Big Head

Post by Big Head »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:48 am
Big Head wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:31 am Seems like a pretty solid recruiting class if we are now done ... Hopefully, Robbins and Peterson are eligible this season.

Carr better come back so we don't end up desperately trying to fill another spot.
Carr will be back per Evan Daniels. Nothing announced but I think the goal was to collect information. I would be surprised if he's here though beyond next season.

I think Robbins is going to be a big time difference maker on both ends... Johnson should be solid too, add some grit and toughness to the frontcourt. Peterson was a good get IMO because he's a wing with size, has some playmaking skills, is a decent shooter, not great... I think people thought Ihnen would be the same but so far he's more of a 4 than a 3. Worrisome thing now is if Robbins and Peterson aren't able to play, you're down to 11 scholarship guys and one of those is Eric Curry.

Curry/Omersa/Mitchell/Freeman
Johnson/Ihnen
Williams
Kalscheur/Mashburn
Carr/Greenlee

Not too well balanced, I think you'd have to start Ihnen out of place at the 3 then. The team without Robbins is near the bottom of the big ten... with Robbins they could shoot up into the middle, hopefully.
Just when you think Pitino is done recruiting for the year, one or two kids bail and he needs to fill the roster... Happens every year and we are stuck picking up a Diedhou, Springs, Washington, Demir, Greenlee, etc. late in the recruiting cycle to fill out a roster. It is kind of frustrating as a fan that we are never done-done. It's got to somewhat be Pitino that is instigating some of these kids to leave or de-commit.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Big Head wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:56 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:48 am
Big Head wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:31 am Seems like a pretty solid recruiting class if we are now done ... Hopefully, Robbins and Peterson are eligible this season.

Carr better come back so we don't end up desperately trying to fill another spot.
Carr will be back per Evan Daniels. Nothing announced but I think the goal was to collect information. I would be surprised if he's here though beyond next season.

I think Robbins is going to be a big time difference maker on both ends... Johnson should be solid too, add some grit and toughness to the frontcourt. Peterson was a good get IMO because he's a wing with size, has some playmaking skills, is a decent shooter, not great... I think people thought Ihnen would be the same but so far he's more of a 4 than a 3. Worrisome thing now is if Robbins and Peterson aren't able to play, you're down to 11 scholarship guys and one of those is Eric Curry.

Curry/Omersa/Mitchell/Freeman
Johnson/Ihnen
Williams
Kalscheur/Mashburn
Carr/Greenlee

Not too well balanced, I think you'd have to start Ihnen out of place at the 3 then. The team without Robbins is near the bottom of the big ten... with Robbins they could shoot up into the middle, hopefully.
Just when you think Pitino is done recruiting for the year, one or two kids bail and he needs to fill the roster... Happens every year and we are stuck picking up a Diedhou, Springs, Washington, Demir, Greenlee, etc. late in the recruiting cycle to fill out a roster. It is kind of frustrating as a fan that we are never done-done. It's got to somewhat be Pitino that is instigating some of these kids to leave or de-commit.
Some of the top teams in the country are picking up grad transfers now too... Washington was a 4 star pg they got in the fall too...

I'm not crying over Greenlee transferring, he should have never been on the team.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

He's from Minnesota...

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Gach is one to keep an eye on I think. Evan Daniels just had a story up which confirms he's transferring and seeking a waiver to play immediately. There was question whether he'd go try and play pro ball.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:19 pm Gach is one to keep an eye on I think. Evan Daniels just had a story up which confirms he's transferring and seeking a waiver to play immediately. There was question whether he'd go try and play pro ball.
Can he get an immediate waiver if he's transferring "home?"
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Former Gopher target.

Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:52 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:19 pm Gach is one to keep an eye on I think. Evan Daniels just had a story up which confirms he's transferring and seeking a waiver to play immediately. There was question whether he'd go try and play pro ball.
Your guess is as good as mine! NCAA makes it up as they go.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:20 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:52 pm
Your guess is as good as mine! NCAA makes it up as they go.
Transferring home during a pandemic seems like a pretty good reason, but who knows!
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Don't know how credible this is, but found it on Gopherhole regarding Both Gach:
I don’t know that I would call myself close to situation but am moderately connected to Austin basketball scene and Southern Minnesota basketball scene.

What I do know is he has a strong interest in being closer to home. This is probably a faulty analogy but if you think about what Tyler Johnson means to the Minneapolis North community... that’s how Both Gach is thought of in Austin. The Sudanese basketball community kids look up to him. The program is turning out multiple scholarship kids these days. I have heard from several people that are close to him that he would have a strong interest in the U.

With that said, he also will likely feel a responsibility to take care of his family financially. I believe he has multiple (5-6-7?) siblings that struggle financially. The opportunity to play professionally will be alluring to that family. The counter to that is his older brother Gach Gach was a D2 All American and first in family to graduate college. The family and Sudanese community in Austin is very proud of that. I think the opportunity to play in front of family and friends along with get a degree will win out.

There is also a sense that he missed out on some of the “hometown hero” stuff when he left Austin just days before the start of his senior year to go to Compass Prep in AZ. That Austin team would have likely won the AAA state title. His twin brother stayed with his friends and finished the year. That team lost to Delano in the semis when Wishert carried them to a title.

Point being... it seems like he would love to come back and soak up playing locally. For a kid who missed his senior year of playing at home and has now played three straight basketball seasons with limited support network around him, it feels like that will help us. I know he’s been in town at least on or off in past months and several in basketball community think the U is very likely.

All of that said.. I think the three options in order are:

1.) Play at U
2.) Play for a sexy national program that comes calling (he never got to experience the recruiting process as a prep really). Playing at a national power could elevate his status.
3.) Go Pro

All of that to say, I think it’s highly unlikely to go to a non blue blood HM program.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:06 pm
What's the upside of this kid? At one point he went 2-35 from 3 last year and averaged almost 3 turnovers per game over the season. Rotational wing?
Ketchup can be nuancy
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Ask Not wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:54 pm
What's the upside of this kid? At one point he went 2-35 from 3 last year and averaged almost 3 turnovers per game over the season. Rotational wing?
He's a transfer! Get him! GET HIM!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hmm. A bunch of mid tier talent. A group of guys not eligible and everyone will make excuses "If only we had so and so" when we know how these rules work.

Guy or two that everyone says "Could of changed the season" plays the next year and is mediocre.

Yep, sounds like a Pitino recruiting class.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

He's your starting 3... and based on the teams who have reached out, it looks like a guy Minnesota should 100% be after.

Carr/Kalscheur/Gach/Johnson/Robbins is a really good starting 5.

Gach's shooting percentages are a little worrisome but then again the starting guards last year didn't shoot all that great either.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:48 am Hmm. A bunch of mid tier talent. A group of guys not eligible and everyone will make excuses "If only we had so and so" when we know how these rules work.

Guy or two that everyone says "Could of changed the season" plays the next year and is mediocre.

Liam Robbins was one of the top transfers on the market. Are you upset the Gophers got him and he may have to sit out for a year?
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:48 am Hmm. A bunch of mid tier talent. A group of guys not eligible and everyone will make excuses "If only we had so and so" when we know how these rules work.

Jamal Mashburn Jr., Martice Mitchell, Liam Robbins, and Brandon Johnson is a really good recruiting class. And Pitino isn't done yet. He's still in on guys like Both Gach, David Mutaf, Bo Hodges, etc.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:35 am
He's your starting 3... and based on the teams who have reached out, it looks like a guy Minnesota should 100% be after.

Gach's shooting percentages are a little worrisome but then again the starting guards last year didn't shoot all that great either.
I'm definitely a homer, but I could see that lineup winning a couple games in the NCAA tournament.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:06 am

I'm definitely a homer, but I could see that lineup winning a couple games in the NCAA tournament.
Break it down for me. How does a 15-16 team lose the Big Ten POY runner-up and take a leap to the NCAA tourney and win a game or two?
I'm sorry, but I don't see a top-half of the Big Ten team.

This would be my hopeful starting 5 if Ihnen can cover the wing: Carr, Kalscheur, Ihnen, Curry, Robbins.
Back ups: Mashburn, Gach, Johnson (Omersa doesn't see 5 minutes/game)
Ketchup can be nuancy
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Ask Not wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:49 pm

Break it down for me. How does a 15-16 team lose the Big Ten POY runner-up and take a leap to the NCAA tourney and win a game or two?

This would be my hopeful starting 5 if Ihnen can cover the wing: Carr, Kalscheur, Ihnen, Curry, Robbins.
A line-up with Carr, Gabe, Gach, Johnson, and Robbins would have 5 guys that can average double figures. It would also be a versatile defensive line-up with the ability to switch in most cases. Just replacing Demir with Johnson will be such a big improvement defensively.

This team also would also have three ball handlers (Carr, Mashburn, Gach) instead of just one (Carr). What a difference that could potentially make in keeping Carr more fresh throughout games.

This could also potentially be Pitino's deepest team he's ever had here. Mashburn should contribute immediately and Ihnen is expected to make a jump this year. Add in a potentially healthy Curry and one more available scholarship that hasn't been used yet and it could be a fun team. I also like how many upper class-men will be on the team (Carr, Gabe, potentially Gach, Johnson, Robbins, Curry, Omersa, etc).

Now there are a lot of what ifs here (Robbins eligible, will Gach come home, Curry's health, Gabe's shooting) and like I said, I'm a homer...
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Ask Not wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:49 pm

This.

This is how it goes every summer to some here.

I don't believe this team will even be in the tourney.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Isn't the goal to have better balance on the team? Comparing last year's team with Oturu/Carr and not much else after that....

You lose Oturu but add 4-5 better players than everything else you lost?
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:53 pm Isn't the goal to have better balance on the team? Comparing last year's team with Oturu/Carr and not much else after that....

I think the goal is to have a couple all-Big Ten players (1st-3rd team) and a good supporting cast. Carr could be one, that's it. That's not good enough to win in the Big Ten.

Demir came with 14.8 / 6.9. Johnson: 15.4 / 8.1 against Akron, Toledo, Ball St. Buffalo, etc. Slight upgrade?
Gach: 25% 3pts / 3.6 reb / 2.8 TO
Robbins vs. Oturo = net negative

I want the team to win, but there is nothing about this offseason that says they will. Pitino is piecing a team together while other Big Ten teams are reloading.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:36 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:53 pm Isn't the goal to have better balance on the team? Comparing last year's team with Oturu/Carr and not much else after that....

I think the goal is to have a couple all-Big Ten players (1st-3rd team) and a good supporting cast. Carr could be one, that's it. That's not good enough to win in the Big Ten.

Demir came with 14.8 / 6.9. Johnson: 15.4 / 8.1 against Akron, Toledo, Ball St. Buffalo, etc. Slight upgrade?
Gach: 25% 3pts / 3.6 reb / 2.8 TO
Robbins vs. Oturo = net negative

I want the team to win, but there is nothing about this offseason that says they will. Pitino is piecing a team together while other Big Ten teams are reloading.
We don't know about Robbins enough yet but the transfer rankings suggest he's going to be pretty good. The people who have seen him play a lot say he has NBA potential...

I think Johnson will be a lot better for the big ten than Demir was. Johnson seems like he's the long physical type the Gophers lacked this year. If they get Gach, >>> Willis outside of shooting but Willis lacked size. I like the depth more too with Mashburn, a healthy Curry (hopefully), Ihnen and Williams into their second years. We'll see! Winning the big ten though.. this program is so far from that regardless of who the coach is.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »