Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: 2020 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:48 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:19 pm I can already hear the Little Richard excuse machine this winter. We're too young. We're too new to the program. I don't know how to coach.

Great gets, but it's results time on the floor or move on already.
Too young? Robbins and Gach both went to prep schools and are three years removed from HS now (I think). Carr same deal due to transfer, Kalscheur a junior, Curry would be a fifth year guy next year, Johnson a grad transfer.... this is a veteran group!
Yeah, I was just sick of hearing that excuse from him last year. No more excuses. Win or GTFO.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:17 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:19 pm I can already hear the Little Richard excuse machine this winter. We're too young. We're too new to the program. I don't know how to coach.

Too young? Robbins and Gach both went to prep schools and are three years removed from HS now (I think). Carr same deal due to transfer, Kalscheur a junior, Curry would be a fifth year guy next year, Johnson a grad transfer.... this is a veteran group!
Yeah, I was just sick of hearing that excuse from him last year. No more excuses. Win or GTFO.
This. I read a comment a few back back on yahoo sports about Gach and I took a look in the comments section and a fan from one of the other schools he was picking from (Can't remember exactly which one) said "Why would he go to Minnesota, Pitino has done less with talent than about anyone"

Time to shit or get off the pot.

Finish in the top 5 of Big 10 and win a tourney game or two.

Many here will except a bubble team and dumped right away in the tournament. Not me.

I think this team could be very good with the right HC. With Pitino, it probably ends up a bubble team. Hey, it looks better than a month ago.

It isn't Oturu and Walton though and those are the types Richard needs to go where we want to go imo.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
full force five

Post by full force five »

This team went from below average to top 4 in the big 10. They need to clear two more hurdles with Robbins and Gach getting wavers. Robbins, Johnson, Gach, Gabe, Carr is a really good starting 5 along with great depth.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

If Richard doesn't make the tourney, he's gone one way or another. Might as well bring in a few more seasoned players to try and get him there.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:17 pm

Unfortunately the team just wasn't all that good last year beyond Oturu and Carr... Kalscheur is a nice piece but probably shouldn't be your third scoring option... I like the balance the team will have (AND DEPTH) next year. Gach was a huge get though for that wing spot... if somehow Curry is healthy and Robbins isn't eligible, I still like this team. They have options at center though it's up in the air what it looks like if Robbins doesn't play. If they didn't have Gach though, Tre Williams probably starts... oh Ihnen at the three? Not ideal at this point.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Lol, another transfer. Pitino has no idea how to build a program.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:31 am Lol, another transfer. Pitino has no idea how to build a program.
Auburn, Maryland and Iowa St were after him. Guess they don't know how either. :lol:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:36 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:31 am Lol, another transfer. Pitino has no idea how to build a program.
Auburn, Maryland and Iowa St were after him. Guess they don't know how either. :lol:
Pitino has to chase transfer after transfer after transfer because he can't put together a team through highschool recruits. I'm not knocking the player, I'm knocking Dick Pit.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:39 am
Pitino has to chase transfer after transfer after transfer because he can't put together a team through highschool recruits. I'm not knocking the player, I'm knocking Dick Pit.
Mashburn and Mitchell were top 150 players. So were Ihnen and Tre Williams.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:55 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:39 am

Mashburn and Mitchell were top 150 players. So were Ihnen and Tre Williams.
You get top 150 recruits almost by default playing in the big ten. There's 64 power 5 teams...how many of those teams also have at least 4 top 150 or former top 150s?

It's similar to MLBs top 100 prospects...they aren't that special, every team has them.

Year after year Pitino has to fill holes with multiple transfers because he can't form a roster through recruiting highschoolers
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Good for the Gophers! No matter who the coach is of how they get their players, I’m happy for the kids 🙂
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Bubu's right - he's trying to piece together a team to get to bubble status. Where have we heard this story before? Gach scored 10 pts/gm, committed 3 TO/gm and shot 25% from 3. He's not coming in to save the season.

Pitino is a shitty recruiter. Just not as shitty as Tubby, who is now at Highpoint (maybe). He's landed 2 of __ important recruits from Minnesota in 7 years. Unlike Tubby, he wasn't qualified to coach in the Big Ten when he arrived as a desperation hire by Teague.
They keep giving him one more year because his agent leveraged a better deal than the university. Great guy, not great coach.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:46 pm
Bubu's right - he's trying to piece together a team to get to bubble status. Where have we heard this story before? Gach scored 10 pts/gm, committed 3 TO/gm and shot 25% from 3. He's not coming in to save the season.

Pitino is a shitty recruiter. Just not as shitty as Tubby, who is now at Highpoint (maybe). He's landed 2 of __ important recruits from Minnesota in 7 years. Unlike Tubby, he wasn't qualified to coach in the Big Ten when he arrived as a desperation hire by Teague.
They keep giving him one more year because his agent leveraged a better deal than the university. Great guy, not great coach.
He raised expectations for the team by having a starting lineup (potentially) of Carr, Kalscheur, Gach, Johnson and Robbins. With Mashburn Jr, Williams, Ihnen, Curry, Omersa off the bench, the expectations are tourney or bust, zero questions!

Gach was hurt a lot last year too supposedly. I haven't seen him a ton but based on the teams after him, especially Maryland and Iowa St who were trying to sell him on being the main ball handler... I think Pitino landed a good one.

Tubby was 10x worse especially at the end when he didn't appear to care much for recruiting.

I'm excited! Additions of Robbins, Johnson, Gach, Mashburn and Mitchell help cover the loss of Oturu and Willis to a much lesser extent.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Bob Wiley wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:29 am Good for the Gophers! No matter who the coach is of how they get their players, I’m happy for the kids 🙂
I like Pitino's personality so in that sense I hope it works out for him... his overall record says he shouldn't still have this job but this is the year (assuming there is college hoops) for him to have some good results next to his name. This is the deepest team since 16-17 for sure.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

He's a slightly better recruiter than Tubby and a worse coach.

I don't get all excited until I see the product. There are some here that claim we have struck recruiting gold year after year and most of these guys never end up being that good..

I'll wait and see.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:27 pm

I don't get all excited until I see the product. There are some here that claim we have struck recruiting gold year after year and most of these guys never end up being that good..

I'll wait and see.
I don't know if he's a better recruiter than Tubby. Tubby got some similar type prospects coming out of highschool, arguably better....Rodney Williams, Royce White, Ralph Sampson, Colt Iverson, Justin Cobbs, Mo Walker, Austin Hollins, Andre Hollins, Joe Coleman, Wally Elenson...these guys were all as, or more highly touted than the guys Pitino has been bringing in the last 7 years.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:04 pm

I'll wait and see.
I don't know if he's a better recruiter than Tubby. Tubby got some similar type prospects coming out of highschool, arguably better....Rodney Williams, Royce White, Ralph Sampson, Colt Iverson, Justin Cobbs, Mo Walker, Austin Hollins, Andre Hollins, Joe Coleman, Wally Elenson...these guys were all as, or more highly touted than the guys Pitino has been bringing in the last 7 years.
Agreed.

Every year we keep hearing how good Pitino is recruiting. He must be a horrible coach then because we are rarely good with no consistent success.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:33 am

I'll wait and see.
Agreed.

Every year we keep hearing how good Pitino is recruiting. He must be a horrible coach then because we are rarely good with no consistent success.
I don't really ever hear how great he is recruiting...where are you getting this from?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:51 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:33 am

Agreed.

I don't really ever hear how great he is recruiting...where are you getting this from?
It's talked about any time Richard is mentioned. Not sure how you haven't heard it. He's been starting to get called out the last couple of years.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I'll wait and see.
Tubby's first two classes here were incredible... and then it started to fall off. His last couple of classes were pretty bad and that's why he got canned.

Wally Ellenson? Geez.... he was terrible.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I'll wait and see.
Name some names.... show me who the gold guys are..... Jelly that everyone was excited about and turned out to be a dud?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:38 am

I'll wait and see.
Name some names.... show me who the gold guys are..... Jelly that everyone was excited about and turned out to be a dud?
Jelly was a top 150 though!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:35 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:38 am

I'll wait and see.
Jelly was a top 150 though!
He was like top 60-70!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

:lol: Why would he need to excuse a Big Ten Title and Final 4?
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

Now are we done? Is it wrong that I am expecting that someone else is going to leave next week and open up another spot that Richard needs to fill? I guess there is still a 25% chance Carr doesn't come back...

Pretty solid looking recruiting class.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Huh.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Big Head wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 am Now are we done? Is it wrong that I am expecting that someone else is going to leave next week and open up another spot that Richard needs to fill? I guess there is still a 25% chance Carr doesn't come back...

Past history says there is always a chance someone could head out.... but Carr will be back... Kalscheur is in place, Mashburn and Mitchell are moving on campus soon. All three big transfers are signed.

Now it's a waiting game on the waiver stuff for Robbins and then Gach.

Pretty good lineup though on paper!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:17 pm...but Carr will be back...
??
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:17 pm
Big Head wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 am Now are we done? Is it wrong that I am expecting that someone else is going to leave next week and open up another spot that Richard needs to fill? I guess there is still a 25% chance Carr doesn't come back...

Past history says there is always a chance someone could head out.... but Carr will be back... Kalscheur is in place, Mashburn and Mitchell are moving on campus soon. All three big transfers are signed.

Now it's a waiting game on the waiver stuff for Robbins and then Gach.

Pretty good lineup though on paper!
Pretty good? Stop underselling to these whiny chumps. Just added the best transfer class in the country by a stretch and it's a bad thing? Good recruiting class a bad thing too? What a loser for coaching Oturu into a lotto pick. What is he a moron? All these other guys will probably be good and then leave too.

Look forward to all you pussies watching the last 5 Big ten games of our championship and claiming you were on board from the jump.