Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers Football thread

Home for Gopher football topics
feekdogg

Re: Gophers Football thread

Post by feekdogg »

The Gophers were underdogs against Fresno and Purdue. Swing and a miss.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:06 pm The Gophers were underdogs against Fresno and Purdue. Swing and a miss.
They were favored against Fresno st.

Here's the odds. I specifically remember it because I almost bet on Fresno.

They were 3 point favorites.

https://www.oddsshark.com/ncaaf/minneso ... 19-1114482
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

They were underdogs in Purdue but many had them even or at a 1.5 point.

They were a dog in this one but very close depending where you bet.

Fact of the matter is they need to go win at least a couple of these games for the season to matter.

You also said "Enjoy this Twins season" only to watch them not even compete and look like they belong in the playoffs.

I guess It takes me more to get excited than that these days.

I'm not saying they need to beat PSU either because I don't think they will. Just play them competitive.

Iowa and Wisconsin should both be beatable if this team is something special.

I mean seriously.. If the Gophers were to go drop all 3 to Penn St, Iowa and Wisconsin is this season really any better than Kills in 2014?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
NonprovincialMNFan

Post by NonprovincialMNFan »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:44 pm Piss and moan that they haven't beaten anyone this year all you want. That arguement would hold water if they were 5-3 with losses to Michigan, SMU and Baylor. They've beaten every team on the schedule thus far. What more do you want? A very, very small percentage of coaches reach the end of their contracts anyway. It's a shell game. You've given a coach who has won 10 games in a row a nice raise, which brings him right to the middle of the pack in the conference and given yourself 10 million dollars of protection in case they do beat a couple of quality opponents down the stretch and the big boys come after him harder. The rumors of USC and FSU were very, very true.

P.S. Keep your stupid political bullshit out of this forum.
Slap doesn't need his mommy to defend his takes.
Listen up butter cup, all I did was share my thoughts, I am not the one banging the drum.....I will however point out when people start filling in the blanks with highly emotional takes ...😥"according to you they should shut down the program"😥😥 which was clearly not said or even implied.

It's almost like none of you are aware of any of the gophers repeated blunders over the last 50 years.

I will also say that nothing would make me smile more than to be dead wrong. I hope it works out. All I have advocated for is more patience before extended, it's not like I burned down the Berman building.
Doc Holliday: There's no normal life, Wyatt, it's just life. Get on with it.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:44 pm Piss and moan that they haven't beaten anyone this year all you want. That arguement would hold water if they were 5-3 with losses to Michigan, SMU and Baylor. They've beaten every team on the schedule thus far. What more do you want? A very, very small percentage of coaches reach the end of their contracts anyway. It's a shell game. You've given a coach who has won 10 games in a row a nice raise, which brings him right to the middle of the pack in the conference and given yourself 10 million dollars of protection in case they do beat a couple of quality opponents down the stretch and the big boys come after him harder. The rumors of USC and FSU were very, very true.

P.S. Keep your stupid political bullshit out of this forum.
This. On all counts.

Smart move, glad it's done.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:06 pm The Gophers were underdogs against Fresno and Purdue. Swing and a miss.
Don't waste your time on the village idiot. He was calling for Zimmer's head at 6-2. :lol:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I'm sure that it's just a coincidence that they finalized a deal that's been in the works for weeks two days after a helmet school had a coaching vacancy.

Also an enormous coincidence that Fleck's new deal runs through 2026...and so does the Athletic Director's.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:28 pm I'm sure that it's just a coincidence that they finalized a deal that's been in the works for weeks two days after a helmet school had a coaching vacancy.

Also an enormous coincidence that Fleck's new deal runs through 2026...and so does the Athletic Director's.
Why the negativity Dawg? Flecks a good one and we got em locked up......kinda!!!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:32 pm
feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:28 pm I'm sure that it's just a coincidence that they finalized a deal that's been in the works for weeks two days after a helmet school had a coaching vacancy.

Why the negativity Dawg? Flecks a good one and we got em locked up......kinda!!!!
That's not negativity. Some on this forum are under the impression that raises and extensions are handed out based solely on wins and losses, which couldn't be further from the truth. There's a reason Jeff Brohm got a massive extension after a 6-6 season last year.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

You should get your ass kicked for using this term.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

#17 in the first College Football Playoff rankings release

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Alabama
4. Penn State
5. Clemson
6. Georgia
7. Oregon
8. Utah
9. Oklahoma
10. Florida
11. Auburn
12. Baylor
13. Wisconsin
14. Michigan
15. Notre Dame
16. Kansas State
17. Minnesota
18. Iowa
19. Wake Forest
20. Cincinnati
21. Memphis
22. Boise State
23. Oklahoma State
24. Navy
25. SMU
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:20 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 pm
NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:43 pm

You asked, what imo I would do.....I told you in the very first sentence.
Two, they haven't beaten anyone at all this year.
Three, it's very "minnesotian" to make a knee jerk reaction to overblown success, just in the effort to avoid paying a little more IF it turns out to be true.

Show me one time the gopher program has made the right choice to assure future success.
Their issues aren't finding the "right" coach....it's a lack of institutional commitment to football.
Not really you didn't, they are still 8-0 when previous teams with similar schedules would have shit the bed already at least once, how may coaches at the U were over-extended, and finally how many were led/hired/extended by the current President, AD and coaching staff? By your account they should just fold up shop now completely.
Yes really, stop being obtuse and purposefully stupid.
Win against more than one quality opponent who isn't having an off year.
Then you launch into invalid comparisons to create room for your argument. And end with a huge leap of putting words in my mouth (we have poorcaleb for that).
To be honest, that was very trump like and I am very disappointed in you as a person.
I thought I replied to this but I guess not.

I'm not being obtuse and I think you're getting a bit worked up for no reason. I've not made this personal right?

I didn't use an invalid comparison insofar as people keep arguing, "this program always finds ways to...". This isn't the same program because the President is different, the AD is different, the coaching staff is different and the roster is different. Add on to that the next incoming class is better than any class we've seen since...?

And I think it matters that no other coach/team for decades has managed to go win 10 straight including 6 in the conference against equally poor schedules for decades. I agree that technically they haven't "beaten anyone yet" but a road win last year against Wisconsin is clearly something no other coach has done for years. When was the last time a Gophers team was picked to finish at the bottom of the conference and instead found themselves near the top this far into the season? Everything about the current situation looks different.

Also I didn't accuse you of saying they should fold the program - I said if it is inevitable that no matter what they try they will still ultimately fail why pay attention and/or why don't they just shut it down? Make sense?

PSU is favored by 6.5 and every model suggests the Gophers should lose this game. And they are not yet there where we should expect them to win a game like this, but look at the progress from the middle of last season on defense, the play of Morgan, the emergence of the offensive line and a recruiting class on par with teams they should rival such as UW and IA?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mi ... ckon-with/
Minnesota is 8-0 for the first time since 1941 and has won 12 of its last 14 games. It’s instructive to recall that as recently as 2007, this was the worst Power Five team in the country by some metrics. Fan support isn’t exactly robust, either: Despite opening TCF Bank Stadium in 2009, the team has drawn such minimal attendance that the university’s official website can only boast that it has “the largest home locker room in college or professional football,” noting that someone could run a 60-yard dash inside it.5 All of which, of course, only adds to the strange reclamation project that has taken place in Fleck’s third season at the helm. Suddenly a program that went a combined 12-13 in Fleck’s first two seasons is on its way to a potential berth in the Big Ten championship game.
Additionally, the way in which Fleck has built the program portends to future success. By diligently recruiting, Minnesota has inked the highest-ranked consecutive recruiting classes in school history, according to Fleck. Just as he proved at Western Michigan, Fleck can attract marquee talent.
They still have a long ways to go but sue me for being optimistic. :)
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

So far so good. Yes, long way to go but it's gonna be a great game the rest of the way.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
bri

Post by bri »

I regret not buying tickets
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

3 and a half to go. Penn State will run clock here and score. Gophers will go into the half up a 7 to 11 points, and get the ball starting the 3rd.

Edit; wrong thread. :oops:
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

“the largest home locker room in college or professional football,” noting that someone could run a 60-yard dash inside it"
I did not know that. Very impressive and interesting. I would have guessed some team like the Dallas Cowboys would have the biggest. Amazing if this is still true.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

This clock is just melting and ticking away. This game is basically over, it's just a matter of draining it out.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

This clock is just melting and ticking away. This game is basically over, it's just a matter of draining it out.

The fumble makes no difference if Penn can't capitalize on it.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

This game is just about over. Just dont let them score quick.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Told you buttholes.
NonprovincialMNFan

Post by NonprovincialMNFan »

I was wrong and happy about it.

Good for gopher nation!
Keep it up.

Now we just need to crank up to the elite level....we need a good way to pay high level recruits...like Alabama or LSU.
Doc Holliday: There's no normal life, Wyatt, it's just life. Get on with it.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

God I feel good for those kids. It have been a loooong time since Gopher Football was this good.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent, emotionally overdrawn, and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter:
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:27 pm Told you buttholes.
Hey, I damn near has the score dead on! (30-27)

When Feek speaks, hgtm listens! :mrgreen:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

What do you all think of PJ's usage of timeouts? He uses them differently than most HC's, but I've always been a fan. Traditional wisdom says you need to hold on to them until the end of the game, in case you are behind. His wisdom says to use them whenever it might benefit the team.

Was watching with a couple people today who were questioning why he called back to back timeouts in the first half. Explained he just wants to make sure things are right in critical situations, and that often first half timeouts go to waste...can't recall the outcome after the back to back timeouts, but I still liked it.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Up to #7 in the coaches poll. Holy shit!
Let's get Tropical
bri

Post by bri »

I'm surprised they #7.. still a joke Bama is #4
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Ski-U-Mah!!
bri

Post by bri »

#8 in CFP

Bama should have fallen a lot more than 2 spots
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Just crazy that we are here. Before the season #8 in the Big Ten maybe would have been something. But in the country? Wow!
Let's get Tropical