Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers Football thread

Home for Gopher football topics
j2j

Re: Gophers Football thread

Post by j2j »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:04 pm
j2j wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:00 am
Who is this woman? She's obviously made a big impact on Fleck and the players.. but I don't know anything about her past browsing her site just now..

I she a motivational speaker? While I personally think the King/Queen thing is a bit pretentious I think what she appears to be doing is something that was sorely needed at this program post Kill/Claeys. Hoping to learn a little bit more about her from anyone who has info. Seems like a good story that should be out there.

Edit: Interesting that she subtweets and includes in her bio a company founded by Ray Lewis. Interesting..
I gather shes someone they brought in for mental health, making sure these kids are right upstairs.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

Who is this woman? She's obviously made a big impact on Fleck and the players.. but I don't know anything about her past browsing her site just now..

I she a motivational speaker? While I personally think the King/Queen thing is a bit pretentious I think what she appears to be doing is something that was sorely needed at this program post Kill/Claeys. Hoping to learn a little bit more about her from anyone who has info. Seems like a good story that should be out there.

Edit: Interesting that she subtweets and includes in her bio a company founded by Ray Lewis. Interesting..
If you recall, when PJ came on board, there was a lot of negativity about the program and how they treated women.

PJ brought in Rachel Baribeau who started "Changing the Narrative" to work with the team members.

I believe she's come back annually and now it's gone into mental health as well.
Ski

Post by Ski »

Face The Facts wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:48 am

If you recall, when PJ came on board, there was a lot of negativity about the program and how they treated women.

PJ brought in Rachel Baribeau who started "Changing the Narrative" to work with the team members.

I believe she's come back annually and now it's gone into mental health as well.
Hey, I know you are a gopher hole regular, by chance do you know who Beatles on Buckyville is on Gopher hole?
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Face The Facts wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:48 am

I figured for sure she had to have been brought on board in response to the issues post Kill/Claeys.. I think focusing on this issues as well as mental health is a critical issue for these young athletes and I applaud their efforts to tackle the issue. I was just surprised because she seems to be fairly well know but it was my first exposure.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

B625DD9D-DFF2-41A7-BBBD-89AFA4370012.jpeg
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Gophers +6.5 dogs

Seems like the right line considering Penn St's talent.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:51 pm Gophers +6.5 dogs

You’ve done some in depth analysis to know that’s the right line?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Bob Wiley wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:58 pm

Enough with the negativity Bob.....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:01 pm
Philip John living his best life.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:17 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:11 am
feekdogg wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:30 pm

If it's not in the next week, they'll sit on it through the season. He won't want any distraction leading up to Penn State though.
Go Gophers!
As a Philip John fan, the worst thing they could do is sign it now. They have beat a bunch of nobodies. Now is the meat of the schedule. Let's see what happens first. He still doesn't have a win against a ranked team here.
Now is the time to sign it. He's going to be out recruiting for the next two weeks. It looks better to kids and their parents if it seems like the coach isn't going anywhere.
It's just money anyway, and the U has plenty. It's not like if this is all a mirage, they're stuck with him. With the dollars rolling in from TV, the days of begging boosters to write checks in order to fire a coach are going away.
Obviously this. The village idiot is just classic.

Completely agree about the recruiting angle.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Lou Nanne said today on Bump that the worst thing they could do is sign the extension this week and he'd not only be shocked, but disappointed. Not because he doesnt like PJ, but because he'd expect PJ to be only want the story to be about the game. Plus if they were to lose to Penn St they could still sign the extension and it would mean more in regards to how highly they value him, even after a loss.

And yes, I somehow survived a segment of that bore, Lou Nanne, on Bump. I'm shocked. It was gross.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Bob Wiley wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:58 pm

Not really. The line is determined by where the money is going to each team and it shouldn’t take a rocket scientist to think Penn St should be favored. Do I think the gophers could win? Absolutely.
Ski

Post by Ski »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:18 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:01 pm
Philip John living his best life.
But kind of a sucky goalie...
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I think gameday is coming here...

PJ is on the power Trip show right now, they asked about gameday. He said the kids keep asking him what's different about the week when they come...when they come, not if they come.

Other note on the interview, he did terrible dismissing the rumors of him leaving...said something along the lines of "we try to get better everyday". It was a total side step.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:51 am I think gameday is coming here...

PJ is on the power Trip show right now, they asked about gameday. He said the kids keep asking him what's different about the week when they come...when they come, not if they come.

Other note on the interview, he did terrible dismissing the rumors of him leaving...said something along the lines of "we try to get better everyday". It was a total side step.
Yeah... he's gone. Hopefully, they are starting their search now.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

I filled my bandwagon application form out and I bought a new sweatshirt, t-shirt. baseball hat and stocking cap.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I hope he sticks around here and sees this thing through.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-foot ... 564469462/
Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

They're talking an extension? Well, this is the first I've heard of it.
NonprovincialMNFan

Post by NonprovincialMNFan »

:thumbsdown:
feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:29 am They're talking an extension? Well, this is the first I've heard of it.
I wouldn't extend him until he beats more than one quality opponent. Quality teams having bad years don't count.

Butt, in typical Minnesota fashion, we will sign him too early , lose 3 of the next 4 and then go 6 and 6 next season.
Doc Holliday: There's no normal life, Wyatt, it's just life. Get on with it.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

7 year deal. 4.6 million.
Last edited by feekdogg on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:12 pm :thumbsdown:
feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:29 am They're talking an extension? Well, this is the first I've heard of it.
I wouldn't extend him until he beats more than one quality opponent. Quality teams having bad years don't count.

Butt, in typical Minnesota fashion, we will sign him too early , lose 3 of the next 4 and then go 6 and 6 next season.
That's definitely a Minnesota sports fan way to look at it. However have we seen anything from Fleck's team that suggests his tenure will be no better than what Mason accomplished? Or Brewster or Kill? Has this team had as many, "wtf" losses (albeit from a smaller sample size) under Fleck than under his predecessors?

What should Minnesota do in your opinion? Should they not be able to compete with Iowa and Wisconsin more regularly than they have the past 20 years? If not why not? If yes but not with Fleck who can they get to compete with Ferentz/Alvarez/Bielzebub/Chryst?

Look they should lose to PSU so if that happens it's not to be unexpected. But finish 2-2 or better which means 10+ wins when most predicted them to finish 2nd to last in the West? Is that not reflective of moving this program in the right direction?

Also remember this is still a very young team and barring defections and career ending injuries will return a large part of their nucleus next year. And on paper the class they have committed for next season will be their best in years. Odds are the conference schedule will be more difficult next season, but this program seems to be building for the future. More so than even under Mason who lost too many "wtf" games and rarely had a defense that could consistently stop top offenses.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

The Gophers haven't had a season like this in 70 years. 70 fucking years! Enjoy it FFS. This is something special around these parts.
Let's get Tropical
NonprovincialMNFan

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:58 pm

That's definitely a Minnesota sports fan way to look at it. However have we seen anything from Fleck's team that suggests his tenure will be no better than what Mason accomplished? Or Brewster or Kill? Has this team had as many, "wtf" losses (albeit from a smaller sample size) under Fleck than under his predecessors?

What should Minnesota do in your opinion? Should they not be able to compete with Iowa and Wisconsin more regularly than they have the past 20 years? If not why not? If yes but not with Fleck who can they get to compete with Ferentz/Alvarez/Bielzebub/Chryst?

Look they should lose to PSU so if that happens it's not to be unexpected. But finish 2-2 or better which means 10+ wins when most predicted them to finish 2nd to last in the West? Is that not reflective of moving this program in the right direction?

Also remember this is still a very young team and barring defections and career ending injuries will return a large part of their nucleus next year. And on paper the class they have committed for next season will be their best in years. Odds are the conference schedule will be more difficult next season, but this program seems to be building for the future. More so than even under Mason who lost too many "wtf" games and rarely had a defense that could consistently stop top offenses.
You asked, what imo I would do.....I told you in the very first sentence.
Two, they haven't beaten anyone at all this year.
Three, it's very "minnesotian" to make a knee jerk reaction to overblown success, just in the effort to avoid paying a little more IF it turns out to be true.

Show me one time the gopher program has made the right choice to assure future success.
Their issues aren't finding the "right" coach....it's a lack of institutional commitment to football.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

It was a move that had to be made, no question about it. If PJ evah leaves I think the U will make sure it's not a financial issue. With all the incentives included Fleck should average more than 5 million a year and be the toast of the town. If his coaching goal in life is to be the HC of an elite power program then he'll hit the road if the offer is made. Louie Nanne said it best in that Minny is a great place to live, raise a family, run a big time program, etc....lot's of reasons to stay right here. I'm happy about it!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
bri

Post by bri »

I thought PJ would get a lot more than this deal... but I guess he can always rengotiate
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Three, it's very "minnesotian" to make a knee jerk reaction to overblown success, just in the effort to avoid paying a little more IF it turns out to be true.

Show me one time the gopher program has made the right choice to assure future success.
Their issues aren't finding the "right" coach....it's a lack of institutional commitment to football.
Not really you didn't, they are still 8-0 when previous teams with similar schedules would have shit the bed already at least once, how may coaches at the U were over-extended, and finally how many were led/hired/extended by the current President, AD and coaching staff? By your account they should just fold up shop now completely.
NonprovincialMNFan

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 pm
NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Not really you didn't, they are still 8-0 when previous teams with similar schedules would have shit the bed already at least once, how may coaches at the U were over-extended, and finally how many were led/hired/extended by the current President, AD and coaching staff? By your account they should just fold up shop now completely.
Yes really, stop being obtuse and purposefully stupid.
Win against more than one quality opponent who isn't having an off year.
Then you launch into invalid comparisons to create room for your argument. And end with a huge leap of putting words in my mouth (we have poorcaleb for that).
To be honest, that was very trump like and I am very disappointed in you as a person.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Piss and moan that they haven't beaten anyone this year all you want. That arguement would hold water if they were 5-3 with losses to Michigan, SMU and Baylor. They've beaten every team on the schedule thus far. What more do you want? A very, very small percentage of coaches reach the end of their contracts anyway. It's a shell game. You've given a coach who has won 10 games in a row a nice raise, which brings him right to the middle of the pack in the conference and given yourself 10 million dollars of protection in case they do beat a couple of quality opponents down the stretch and the big boys come after him harder. The rumors of USC and FSU were very, very true.

P.S. Keep your stupid political bullshit out of this forum.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:44 pm Piss and moan that they haven't beaten anyone this year all you want. That arguement would hold water if they were 5-3 with losses to Michigan, SMU and Baylor. They've beaten every team on the schedule thus far. What more do you want? A very, very small percentage of coaches reach the end of their contracts anyway. It's a shell game. You've given a coach who has won 10 games in a row a nice raise, which brings him right to the middle of the pack in the conference and given yourself 10 million dollars of protection in case they do beat a couple of quality opponents down the stretch and the big boys come after him harder. The rumors of USC and FSU were very, very true.

P.S. Keep your stupid political bullshit out of this forum.

What more do we want? Yes, I need to see them beat a couple of these teams that are not cupcakes.

I'm a Philip John fan but it's laughable to act like this is some unbelievable feat. They were favored in every single game they have played! That's coming from a team that is rarely ever favored. The competition so far has been atrocious.

I agree with you that it's ok to enjoy it etc.. It really means squat if they go out and crap the bed against Penn St, Iowa and Wisconsin. Not saying they will but also not saying they won't. I have no clue how good this football team is. We are about to find out.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master