Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers Football thread

Home for Gopher football topics
Slap Shot

Re: Gophers Football thread

Post by Slap Shot »

Style wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:01 am I'd take the points if I were a betting man. This game scares me. Seems like a classic MN let down/trap game. A win would be huge though. Keep the momentum rolling into the bye before starting season #2 vs. the big dogs.
Mason had some great teams but never had a reliable defense and although he had some very big wins not seen around here for a long time during his tenure, they also had some of the most inexplicable losses that eventually contributed (along with this absolutely shitty relationship with local h.s. coaches) to his ouster.

But have they had a trap game loss under Fleck? This is not hard challenge mind you, I just think it's possibly unfair to judge the current state of the program based upon previous results. Which is not to say it can't happen but this team has been as well coached as any Gophers team I can recall since....?
bri

Post by bri »

How much money do you offer Fleck for an extension?
PohladPockyProtectorUWU

Post by PohladPockyProtectorUWU »

bri wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:13 pm How much money do you offer Fleck for an extension?

140 million dollars. Ten million for each win this year
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bri wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:13 pm How much money do you offer Fleck for an extension?
He hasn't even beat a ranked team since getting here.

I'm a Philip John fan but slow your roll. Let's see how they do when they actually play someone. We will find out very shortly.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Framework of a deal is in place for an extension.
Need Board of Regents approval and waiting for appropriate time to announce it.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Here we go boys.
I just wish PA was doing the radio play by play so we could hear him say "BOOM !!" for the kickoff, but I'm watching on ESPN. Only big time undefeated teams get this time slot on ESPN on a Sat college game day.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Interception !!! good start.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Touchdown !! 7-0
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Hummdrum wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:42 pm Touchdown !! 7-0
Now it's 28-0 !
Sky Spy in the Sky !
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Woah. These guys are unstoppable.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

PJ has got to go! The kids think hes a phony!

Oh wait.. that's the shit hawk old fans who didn't believe in him.

Feek, when is that extension getting signed?
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
j2j

Post by j2j »

Mandatory wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:56 pm PJ has got to go! The kids think hes a phony!

Maybe they can fire PJ, hire a 70 year old curmudgeon that hates life and kids, change the mascot and colors to something menacing, and wipe all those smiles off their faces during the bye week.

This 8-0 shit is embarrassing. Embarrassing!
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

j2j wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:47 pm

change the mascot and colors to something menacing,

Fucking A right! Fleck successfully distanced the team from that embarrassing mascot by shifting the mantra to 'row the boat' which is completely opposite of what a gopher would or could do. Hell, if he wins a Rose Bowl they might just change the mascot to Oarsman or some shit like that just because.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Mandatory wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:56 pm PJ has got to go! The kids think hes a phony!

If it's not in the next week, they'll sit on it through the season. He won't want any distraction leading up to Penn State though.
Go Gophers!
j2j

Post by j2j »

Night Train wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:08 pm
j2j wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:47 pm

change the mascot and colors to something menacing,

Fucking A right! Fleck successfully distanced the team from that embarrassing mascot by shifting the mantra to 'row the boat' which is completely opposite of what a gopher would or could do. Hell, if he wins a Rose Bowl they might just change the mascot to Oarsman or some shit like that just because.
:clap:

PohladPockyProtectorUWU

20 year extension
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:30 pm

If it's not in the next week, they'll sit on it through the season. He won't want any distraction leading up to Penn State though.
Go Gophers!
As a Philip John fan, the worst thing they could do is sign it now. They have beat a bunch of nobodies. Now is the meat of the schedule. Let's see what happens first. He still doesn't have a win against a ranked team here.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
PohladPockyProtectorUWU

They gonna beat pedo state by 14
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:11 am

Go Gophers!
As a Philip John fan, the worst thing they could do is sign it now. They have beat a bunch of nobodies. Now is the meat of the schedule. Let's see what happens first. He still doesn't have a win against a ranked team here.
He is the 11th highest paid coach in the B1G. I dont want him going into the offseason with that being the case. You have to work something out sooner than later.

And stop with the schedule nonsense. They lost to 3 of the B1G teams they've beaten just last season. Now, they're beating people by 30 every week. That's a huge shift. We'll see how far they've come in two weeks, but this is already a season in which the program has shown huge improvement. Gotta commit to PJ if you want him to commit to you.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:11 am

Go Gophers!
Now is the time to sign it. He's going to be out recruiting for the next two weeks. It looks better to kids and their parents if it seems like the coach isn't going anywhere.
It's just money anyway, and the U has plenty. It's not like if this is all a mirage, they're stuck with him. With the dollars rolling in from TV, the days of begging boosters to write checks in order to fire a coach are going away.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

I think fleck is smart enough to get locked in. He made a big jump from W Mich to Minnesota. A move at this point would have to be another Big Jump for him. So what teams could he go to that would be considered a big jump?
I think he knows his way of doing things works with a certain level of player. I dont think the Fleck way works at Ohio State or say Oklahoma.
I hope the gophers lock him in for a bit. I dont have dreams of them playing for a national championship, but it nice to see something going right for the U of M. Hopefully they dont fuck it up. It would be fun to see them beat Penn State.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

I think fleck is smart enough to get locked in. He made a big jump from W Mich to Minnesota. A move at this point would have to be another Big Jump for him. So what teams could he go to that would be considered a big jump?
I think he knows his way of doing things works with a certain level of player. I dont think the Fleck way works at Ohio State or say Oklahoma.
I hope the gophers lock him in for a bit. I dont have dreams of them playing for a national championship, but it nice to see something going right for the U of M. Hopefully they dont fuck it up. It would be fun to see them beat Penn State.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Ranked #13!
Let's get Tropical
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:52 am I think fleck is smart enough to get locked in. He made a big jump from W Mich to Minnesota. A move at this point would have to be another Big Jump for him. So what teams could he go to that would be considered a big jump?
:thumbsup:
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:46 pm Ranked #13!
I hope this is right. I guess we’ll know in two weeks.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
j2j

Post by j2j »

Ok... But what if?

Gophers schedule has been weak, we've played a lot of backup quarterbacks, we're not a traditional powerhouse, Penn State is good and going to beat us by 20....

But what if the Gophers win? What if the Golden Oars are legit? What if PJ stands for Knute Rockne? What if we go into Iowa ranked in the top 6? Who hates Iowa?

Row The Boat, bitches!

j2j

Post by j2j »

Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

Love PJ.

I also like winning Power 5 matchups routinely by more than 20 points.
I really enjoy it.

Every game... are you a power 5 opponent?
Yes, you say?

Boom. You lose by 20+ points and we celebrate.
Slap Shot

Gophers Football thread

Post by Slap Shot »

Face The Facts wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:26 pm Love PJ.

I also like winning Power 5 matchups routinely by more than 20 points.
I really enjoy it.

Every game... are you a power 5 opponent?
Yes, you say?

Boom. You lose by 20+ points and we celebrate.
You lose by 20! And you lose by 20! And you lose by 20!...
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

j2j wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:00 am
Who is this woman? She's obviously made a big impact on Fleck and the players.. but I don't know anything about her past browsing her site just now..

I she a motivational speaker? While I personally think the King/Queen thing is a bit pretentious I think what she appears to be doing is something that was sorely needed at this program post Kill/Claeys. Hoping to learn a little bit more about her from anyone who has info. Seems like a good story that should be out there.

Edit: Interesting that she subtweets and includes in her bio a company founded by Ray Lewis. Interesting..
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong