Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers @ Boomer Esiason GDT

Home for Gopher football topics
bubu dubu.

Re: Gophers @ Boomer Esiason GDT

Post by bubu dubu. »

Not much to play for this season anymore, other than the pig and the axe.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:38 pm Not much to play for this season anymore, other than the pig and the axe.
Wisconsin honestly might put up 100 on us of their QB is back from Covid
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
D_H

Post by D_H »

The guys who were responsible for last year‘s relative “success”were not PJs recruits.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Tua’s little bro > Tanner Morgan
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:39 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:38 pm Not much to play for this season anymore, other than the pig and the axe.
Part of me thinks the Gophers will pull it together toward the back end of this shortened season. Remember how horrible they looked in the non-conference last season, and how lucky they needed to get to pull some of those games out. PJ might be one of those coaches that needs those cupcake non-conference games to work out the kinks. Not that Maryland isn't a cupcake, but they aren't FCS South Dakota State, or Fresno State or Georgia Southern that the Gophers barely scraped by last year.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Summary of game:

School with 51k students and you can’t find 1 or 2 guys that can kick a damn football, you are having to trot out an overweight kicker off hernia surgery who wet himself before the extra point even happened

Offensive coordinator though we had 85 bears defense and could just run the ball 3 times up middle and punt it away up 17 in 4th quarter

Defensive backs practiced great social distancing all night

Linebackers are slower than my grandma and her cane

Can we play with some tempo and not take the playclock down to 1 every time

Bateman please opt back out, don’t risk injury for these slapsticks
D_H

Post by D_H »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 pm
Lol

Love it
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 pm
Part of me thinks the Gophers will pull it together toward the back end of this shortened season. Remember how horrible they looked in the non-conference last season, and how lucky they needed to get to pull some of those games out. PJ might be one of those coaches that needs those cupcake non-conference games to work out the kinks. Not that Maryland isn't a cupcake, but they aren't FCS South Dakota State, or Fresno State or Georgia Southern that the Gophers barely scraped by last year.
What's it really matter now? This was supposed to be a team competing for a title. Not happening now.

If you are just looking to make a Kool Aid Bowl, then sure.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:33 pm
Extremely poor take with zero knowledge of the circumstances.

The kid is a tight end. Not a kicker. He has ZERO kicking experience at the college level and only kicked in his senior season in high school.

He should have never been put in that position.
Last edited by DC4MVP on Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 pm Summary of game:

School with 51k students and you can’t find 1 or 2 guys that can kick a damn football, you are having to trot out an overweight kicker off hernia surgery who wet himself before the extra point even happened

Offensive coordinator though we had 85 bears defense and could just run the ball 3 times up middle and punt it away up 17 in 4th quarter

Defensive backs practiced great social distancing all night

Linebackers are slower than my grandma and her cane

Bateman please opt back out, don’t risk injury for these slapsticks
The running the playclock down to 1 doesn't bother me much. Even with that, the Gophers offense is good enough to drop 40 every game...the playcalling however is just completely unaware of what's going on in the game....like you said, they were calling the offense like the defense could actually get stops. That, and Maryland actually adjusted to our run game, and we did nothing to adjust to their adjustment, other than the Autman-Bell TD, that would have been there all of the 2nd half had they chosen to do it again.

shit, they didn't even have to go back to a play like that, just throw some extra 10-15 yard slants in there, and the Gophers come close to covering that ridiculous 19 point spread.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:50 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 pm

What's it really matter now? This was supposed to be a team competing for a title. Not happening now.

If you are just looking to make a Kool Aid Bowl, then sure.
I'm totally with you. THe season is already a disappointment. Even said in part of what you quoted that there isn't really much to play for anymore.

but yeah, I'd drink some tasty kool-aide if the Gophers beat Iowa and Wisconsin, which is the point I was getting at with that post.

Iowa and Wisconsin are now the whole season for the Gophers.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

DC4MVP wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:53 pm
Poor take.

The kid is a tight end. Not a kicker.

He’s 5’10 and 180lbs.

He’s a kicker and a shitty kicker that needs to be cut and walk home.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:01 pm
Poor take.

He’s 5’10 and 180lbs.

My bad.

They said he was a tight end being forced to kick.

that being said, at least call him an uber. Don't pay for it, though.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Side note on that game. Did you guys know that Maryland QB was Tua's little brother? That was an interesting fact that I just read about.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:24 pm Side note on that game. Did you guys know that Maryland QB was Tua's little brother? That was an interesting fact that I just read about.
It would have been really awesome if Tua was making his first career start this week.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:24 pm Side note on that game. Did you guys know that Maryland QB was Tua's little brother? That was an interesting fact that I just read about.
huh
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

JPM wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:26 pm
huh
Side note on that game. Did you guys know that Maryland QB was Tua's little brother? That was an interesting fact that I just read about.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

DC4MVP wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:25 pm
It would have been really awesome if Tua was making his first career start this week.
Indeed that would have been an interesting story line they could have interweaved into the commentating if it were happening, but Miami seems pretty happy with Fitzpatrick right now.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

A perfect summary of what happened. I didn't watch it because I believed in the 19 point spread. I guess I won't watch the highlights either.
bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:23 pm Maryland sold out to defending the run game in the 2nd half, and the Gophers capitalized on that Autman-Bell TD because of it...then just ignored the passing game the rest of the game. Maryland had no idea what to do on defense other than play every down like it was a run, and the Gophers played right into it...you have to be more unpredictable than that. You don't even have to abandon the run, just keep them on their heels. Throw it on first and 2nd down from time to time. Fuck that was poorly coached.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:27 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:19 pm
feekdogg wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:18 pm Maryland is fucking garbage. I was never a PJ guy, and I'm sure as fuck not now.
Did you like Les Miles at the time?
No. Absolutely not. Being honest, I had no interest in firing Claeys after a 9 win season. A blue blood can do that. MN probably shouldn't.
So, you were a Claeys guy after a 9 win season, but was never on board with PJ after a 10 win season?

I have no interest in firing PJ after a 10 win season. A blue blood can do that. MN probably shouldn't.
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

So are we back to year zero again?
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Poor take.

He’s 5’10 and 180lbs.

No way he is 180...he looks like he is hiding the entire thanksgiving turkey under his uniform
Last edited by Sid Hartman on Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

That was brutal. Just brutal. Basically zero pass rush all night. Maryland’s running back went for over 200 and qb threw for almost 500! I can’t imagine what those poor kids are thinking about this morning. They are completely outclassed.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:21 am That was brutal. Just brutal. Basically zero pass rush all night. Maryland’s running back went for over 200 and qb threw for almost 500! I can’t imagine what those poor kids are thinking about this morning. They are completely outclassed.
If it was me I’m going out partying tonight for Halloween and screw it if I get covid as season is lost cause
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

They only mentioned it every other minute during the game. Like that last name is such a common name, no one would even question whether they're related or brothers.

That announcer was trying to make this game about Tualia stepping out from Tua's shadow... he was making the fucking shadow by bringing it up every time Maryland was on offense.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 pm

Can someone explain why Morgan is constantly looking to the sideline pre-snap, he looks over way too much IMO. Is that because Pajamas is making some last second calls depending on how the defense lines up? Isn't that the QB's job?
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Night Train wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:58 am
Sid Hartman wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 pm

Can someone explain why Morgan is constantly looking to the sideline pre-snap, he looks over way too much IMO. Is that because Pajamas is making some last second calls depending on how the defense lines up? Isn't that the QB's job?
Coach is a control freak...I mean they only have 4 plays they run so it’s not that hard to decide what play to go with...90% of time read option to the middle ro running back
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Sid Hartman wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:09 am

Poor take.

He’s 5’10 and 180lbs.

No way he is 180...he looks like he is hiding the entire thanksgiving turkey under his uniform
He's listed as 210 on his U of M profile
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:26 am
feekdogg wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:27 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:19 pm

Did you like Les Miles at the time?
No. Absolutely not. Being honest, I had no interest in firing Claeys after a 9 win season. A blue blood can do that. MN probably shouldn't.
So, you were a Claeys guy after a 9 win season, but was never on board with PJ after a 10 win season?

I have no interest in firing PJ after a 10 win season. A blue blood can do that. MN probably shouldn't.
He's obviously not getting fired. He's Coyle's guy, so he's got an even longer leash than Pitino (that's a conversation for a different time and place). Excuses of Covid and injuries aside, right now, this is the worst team in the Big Ten. I never, ever thought I'd say that. Fleck found a way to get outcoached by Mike Locksley. That shouldn't happen. Getting to the Outback Bowl should be a step to something bigger. Right now, it looks like the plateau and this team has a hell of lot of work to do to get back to that level.