Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019 NIL signing day

Home for Gopher football topics
jffl_commish

2019 NIL signing day

Post by jffl_commish »

For those that know football recruits and such, how is their class looking this year? Sounds like they picked up a pretty good DE flip this morning.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: 2019 NIL signing day

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:36 am For those that know football recruits and such, how is their class looking this year? Sounds like they picked up a pretty good DE flip this morning.
I think it hovers around the 25/26th ranked class in the country by 247 sports. Neck and neck with Wisconsin, can't remember if it's like 5th or 6th in the big ten.

Looks like the focus was on defensive front 7 for sure, some new defensive ends and some talented linebackers. Another set of really good WRs and I think the RB they got will right away too. Thomas from Kansas?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I thought they had a stud QB coming in? Or is that for the 2021 class?
Let's get Tropical
full force five

Post by full force five »

The 2021 class as a stud QB, 4 star guy.

Fleck was able to flip a stud 4 star DE this morning, class looks really good.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

I see 3 Minnesotans on the list. How do these guys rate with other top prospects in the state?
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I like loading up on defense with the front seven. Become disruptive and dangerous!
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:26 am I thought they had a stud QB coming in? Or is that for the 2021 class?
Don't want a qb with this class! Clark, Morgan, Annexstad.. set !
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

I thought they had a four star WR coming in, am I wrong?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Bob Wiley wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:05 pm I thought they had a four star WR coming in, am I wrong?
Probably thinking of Daniel Jackson... 4 stars on ESPN. Offers from Iowa, Wisconsin and Notre Dame among some others.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Was listening to the PJ Fleck show today. He's very high on Jah Joyner (DE) and Mike Fleming.

Said Joyner is a program changer.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Lost the #1 in state guy to Wisconsin...that sucks.
full force five

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:15 pm Lost the #1 in state guy to Wisconsin...that sucks.
Not when you get Jah Joyner instead, long armed fast DE. He could be a difference maker down the road. . . . composite 4 star guy.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:15 pm Lost the #1 in state guy to Wisconsin...that sucks.
Kaden Johnson had plenty of opportunities to commit here. I think at one point he wasn't even a take for Wisconsin and then the rumors were out there he would go to Nebraska. I think the staff believes they landed better linebackers than Kaden AND better WRs than Lockett (who went to Mich St).

Seemed like a month or two ago, Kaden was hoping for an LSU offer that never came.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Bob Wiley wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:05 pm I thought they had a four star WR coming in, am I wrong?
Daniel Jackson is a 4 star WR on 247.
Itayvion Brown is a 4 star LB on 247.

Two WRs (Justin Bellido, Dakota Thomas) and Athlete Dylan McGill didn't sign today. All are waiting on test scores for ACT/SAT to come back before signing. Sounds like they might have issues getting into Minnesota but would get in elsewhere.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:47 pm
Kaden Johnson had plenty of opportunities to commit here. I think at one point he wasn't even a take for Wisconsin and then the rumors were out there he would go to Nebraska. I think the staff believes they landed better linebackers than Kaden AND better WRs than Lockett (who went to Mich St).

Seemed like a month or two ago, Kaden was hoping for an LSU offer that never came.
I believe he liked the 3-4 defense that Wisconsin plays and felt it was a great fit. The little video I've seen, he looks like a Zack Baun type player. Too many fans get caught up in the 2-3-4 stars of each recruit. Unless your pulling 5 star players like Alabama and Ohio State it comes down to identifying players you can develop for your type of system. Some of Wisconsin's best players have been walk-ons.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:04 pm
Daniel Jackson is a 4 star WR on 247.
Itayvion Brown is a 4 star LB on 247.

Two WRs (Justin Bellido, Dakota Thomas) and Athlete Dylan McGill didn't sign today. All are waiting on test scores for ACT/SAT to come back before signing. Sounds like they might have issues getting into Minnesota but would get in elsewhere.
What?!? Don’t you need an 11 to get in as an athlete? :lol:
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Ky Thomas RB looks like a good one too.
full force five

These rating means next to nothing, the difference between a high 3 star guy and 4 star is so small. We won 10 games with 4 or 5 total 4 star players. Tyler Johnson and Tanner Morgan were both 3 star players in high school, Johnson was ranked the 561 player in his class, Morgan 1185th and a low 3 star guy.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Kid from Shakopee committed for 2021 this morning. It starts all over. Deven Eastern.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

full force five wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:15 am These rating means next to nothing, the difference between a high 3 star guy and 4 star is so small. We won 10 games with 4 or 5 total 4 star players. Tyler Johnson and Tanner Morgan were both 3 star players in high school, Johnson was ranked the 561 player in his class, Morgan 1185th and a low 3 star guy.
The Athletic posted the 247 composite star rankings with their All America team. I was surprised how many 3 stars were in that group. Taylor from WI was only a 3-star.
11 of 24 of their all-americans were 3-star recruits (Winfield)
7 -- 4-stars
6 -- 5-stars
Ketchup can be nuancy
full force five

Exactly - Tanner Morgan who was a low 3 start going to Western Michigan will be 2020 Pre-Season all 1st team Big-10 QB now. My guess in O-line is the hardest and means very little, if you're a 6'5" 280 pound high school kid how can you glean much, your dominating because of size.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Ask Not wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:44 pm
full force five wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:15 am These rating means next to nothing, the difference between a high 3 star guy and 4 star is so small. We won 10 games with 4 or 5 total 4 star players. Tyler Johnson and Tanner Morgan were both 3 star players in high school, Johnson was ranked the 561 player in his class, Morgan 1185th and a low 3 star guy.
The Athletic posted the 247 composite star rankings with their All America team. I was surprised how many 3 stars were in that group. Taylor from WI was only a 3-star.
7 -- 4-stars
6 -- 5-stars
There's just a shit ton more 3 stars than there are 4 and 5 stars.

I don't know the percentages of how many 3 stars there are compared to 4 and 5 stars, but I'm guessing 80%+. So to whip up some quick analogy, lets say you have a group of 1000 of the best minds in highschool all going for the same doctorate degree. 200 of these kids are considered better than the rest...top ACT scores/SAT scores. Outstanding extra curriculars, etc... By the time this group of 1000 kids get their doctorate, will the same 200 be at the top of that class, or would many of the other 800 pass them up, would some of the 200 drop out?

Kind of a sloppy analogy, but I think the point I'm trying to bring is pretty clear. Theres just so many more of the kids who were considered good enough to get in, but weren't considered elite, and so many variables that go into their success.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:45 pm
Ask Not wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:44 pm
7 -- 4-stars
6 -- 5-stars
There's just a shit ton more 3 stars than there are 4 and 5 stars.

I don't know the percentages of how many 3 stars there are compared to 4 and 5 stars, but I'm guessing 80%+. So to whip up some quick analogy, lets say you have a group of 1000 of the best minds in highschool all going for the same doctorate degree. 200 of these kids are considered better than the rest...top ACT scores/SAT scores. Outstanding extra curriculars, etc... By the time this group of 1000 kids get their doctorate, will the same 200 be at the top of that class, or would many of the other 800 pass them up, would some of the 200 drop out?

Kind of a sloppy analogy, but I think the point I'm trying to bring is pretty clear. Theres just so many more of the kids who were considered good enough to get in, but weren't considered elite, and so many variables that go into their success.
As a high school coach of more than 20 years, I have seen tons of kids come in as freshmen, basically fully grown and good players; and never really improve. And I have seen tons of kids who couldn’t do a thing as freshmen become very good by their senior year.
Point is, some of these 4 and 5 star kids might basically be as good as they will ever be, while 2 and 3 star kids haven’t really developed yet to anywhere close to their potential.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:29 pm

I believe he liked the 3-4 defense that Wisconsin plays and felt it was a great fit. The little video I've seen, he looks like a Zack Baun type player. Too many fans get caught up in the 2-3-4 stars of each recruit. Unless your pulling 5 star players like Alabama and Ohio State it comes down to identifying players you can develop for your type of system. Some of Wisconsin's best players have been walk-ons.
Was Watt a walk on for Wiscy?

I'll never forget:
"I was committed to Central Michigan, then Brian Kelly left, so I committed to Minnesota. Then Glen Mason was relieved, so I ended up back at Central Michigan." Watt transferred to Wisconsin in 2008.
full force five

Watt originally went to the gophers as at TE, then transferred to Buckey.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:47 am

I'll never forget:
"I was committed to Central Michigan, then Brian Kelly left, so I committed to Minnesota. Then Glen Mason was relieved, so I ended up back at Central Michigan." Watt transferred to Wisconsin in 2008.
Watt went to Central Michigan and played tight end(8 catches, 77 yards). They wanted to convert him to offensive line. He wanted to move back closer to home and walked on with the Badgers.

This is an interesting note for Gopher fans:

"Watt committed to Central Michigan following an early December 2006 visit, as he was a fan of then-head coach Brian Kelly, who now is at Notre Dame. But days after Watt's pledge, Kelly took the head coaching job at Cincinnati.

Watt switched his commitment to Minnesota later in the month, as he had become a fan of head coach Glen Mason. On Dec. 31, however, Minnesota fired Mason, leaving Watt once again without the head coach he was expecting to see as a freshman. Watt ultimately recommitted to Central Michigan on Jan. 30, 2007, and played for then-new head coach Butch Jones, who is now at Tennessee."
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:37 am

I'll never forget:
Watt went to Central Michigan and played tight end(8 catches, 77 yards). They wanted to convert him to offensive line. He wanted to move back closer to home and walked on with the Badgers.

"Watt committed to Central Michigan following an early December 2006 visit, as he was a fan of then-head coach Brian Kelly, who now is at Notre Dame. But days after Watt's pledge, Kelly took the head coaching job at Cincinnati.

Watt switched his commitment to Minnesota later in the month, as he had become a fan of head coach Glen Mason. On Dec. 31, however, Minnesota fired Mason, leaving Watt once again without the head coach he was expecting to see as a freshman. Watt ultimately recommitted to Central Michigan on Jan. 30, 2007, and played for then-new head coach Butch Jones, who is now at Tennessee."
I pretty much outlined it before. :lol:
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:07 am
The Replacements wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:37 am

I'll never forget:

I pretty much outlined it before. :lol:
Oops. A little sleep deprived from the 5:30 am wake up call from the baby. I did add a little more detail. ;)