Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gophers vs Cheeseheads special Game Day is coming edition!

Home for Gopher football topics
Slap Shot

Re: Gophers vs Cheeseheads special Game Day is coming edition!

Post by Slap Shot »

Herky wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:18 pm Wisconsin came to play for sure.

I know the last two game sucked in terms of outcomes, but you guys are going to play in a good bowl against a top notch team still. I’ve been there before with Iowa. 1985, 2002 and 2015 were magical until the end but you gotta enjoy seasons like this. Minnesota made national news, had their best season in years, and got GameDay. Plus you have one game left to get out on a high note.

Enjoy the ride and hope this becomes a trend.
:thumbsup:
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Proud of this season, they did good.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Fun season but of course it has to end like the 2017 or 2019 Twins season. The typical Minnesota "Well, we didn't win when we had to but we did 10x better than we thought we would! Progress!"

On one hand, Fleck got exposed big time. His clock management is simply baffling. Calls a time out coming out of a commercial only to run on 3rd & 10 when the run game hadn't done a thing all night. He did that TWICE.

And you're up 7-0 and have ALL the momentum on Bucky's 36. Wind is at your back. 4th & 2 and you could kick Bucky in the balls with another score and he.....PUNTS. Then Wisconsin laughs and converts 3 straight 4th & shorts.

On the other hand, a season like this can open the eyes of higher ranked recruits. We were ranked for half the season. In talks for the playoffs and Rose Bowl. College Gameday showed up. Who knows....maybe that can land us some 4 star recruits or maybe even better. Certainly bodes well for keeping the bigger name in-state recruits.

Is there anyway to make Fleck the full-time recruiter and find a head coach who's "elite" at calling a game? Then I think we could go places....
NonprovincialMNFan

Post by NonprovincialMNFan »

Gophers beat one quality opponent, at least 7 important seniors that were Kill recruits are leaving, the cake schedule is done and over......let's see if we got something other than a good Glen Mason year...
Doc Holliday: There's no normal life, Wyatt, it's just life. Get on with it.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Badger fan here so you take my opinion accordingly. The difference in the game was coaching. Chryst outcoached Fleck in all 3 phases. To Flecks credit, he has closed the talent gap between the 2 teams in a relatively short time. I do think the Gophers will be good team for years to come. Their program is much better than Purdue, Illinois and Nebraska. They should be able to compete with Iowa and Wisconsin on most years. I have mixed feelings on Fleck. Overall he has done a good job building up the program. However, I cringe watching his press conferences. Half the time, he sounds like a cross between a politician and a car salesman. I just wonder how authentic he really is. Overall, I think Gopher fans should be happy with their season and the direction of the program. Good luck in your bowl game.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

The Replacements wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:27 am Badger fan here so you take my opinion accordingly. The difference in the game was coaching. Chryst outcoached Fleck in all 3 phases. To Flecks credit, he has closed the talent gap between the 2 teams in a relatively short time. I do think the Gophers will be good team for years to come. Their program is much better than Purdue, Illinois and Nebraska. They should be able to compete with Iowa and Wisconsin on most years. I have mixed feelings on Fleck. Overall he has done a good job building up the program. However, I cringe watching his press conferences. Half the time, he sounds like a cross between a politician and a car salesman. I just wonder how authentic he really is. Overall, I think Gopher fans should be happy with their season and the direction of the program. Good luck in your bowl game.
While you are still a prick because you are a Wis fan, well, nothing, you are a prick because you are a Wis fan. :mrgreen:

JK. I have to agree with most of what you said. One thing I will disagree on, and you know me fairly well and know I am about the last mofo to like or want phony car salesman shit. I will simply say this - I mentioned in another thread I had an opportunity to meet him briefly and he was very very impressive, in a very genuine way. I think he is the real deal and you just have to set aside some of the theatrics as a necessary evil for his schtick. Put it this way, I believe in same setting as I was in, you conclude same thing I did.

Rest of your take - spot fn on. One team appeared like they have been in many big stage games and are "experienced" and one looked like they were pretty new to this big game stuff. Of course, both things are true, and had a lot to do with what happened yesterday. Preparation matters, but so does experience. I wont say Wis was more prepared, as I believe we were ready to play (witness the start) but they damn sure were more experienced and ready for the big stage. Weather was a factor and your squad better adjusted to that than we did - clearly Morgan was off due to weather, your qb seemed good with it.

I hate your fn team and always will, but as you know, I am pretty honest in spite of that. Chryst can coach, there is no two ways about that. And he pummeled PJ yesterday. I read that a big part of what we wanted to do was 6man OL packages and so when Faalele went down, that killed us as it eliminated a big part of our plan as we only have 6 we use (with him). Thats a failure of adjusting to that new reality (of him being out) and it cost them. But moreseo, Chryst simply outmaneuvered to what we were doing. He truly was a master in the game as you stated, on multiple levels.

PJ not going for it early probably was a mistake. But the F up was I love going to wildcat there on 3rd, but how do you not gain anything? That was on OL and it makes for an easy decision if we gain a couple feet even. Other than that, I really dont blame PJ as much as I tip my cap to the play calling, adjustments and overall strategy your HC and coordinators employed. Truly, that was a very, very well coached game. Period.

Damn impressive and deserving win. Good luck rest of the way.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Time to stop questioning who Fleck is as a person. Literally everyone that's interacted with him say he's like he is on tv, all the time every time.

Outcoached for sure yesterday. It's a weird way to end a fantastic season. If the Gophers lose to Penn St but then beat Wisconsin to win the west, do people feel better about the season? Is Penn St >>> Wisconsin? I don't know, I'm asking the people who follow this closer than me.

Atmosphere was fantastic yesterday, I might get season tickets next year. I went to three games and had a blast at every one.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:39 pm Time to stop questioning who Fleck is as a person. Literally everyone that's interacted with him say he's like he is on tv, all the time every time.

Outcoached for sure yesterday. It's a weird way to end a fantastic season. If the Gophers lose to Penn St but then beat Wisconsin to win the west, do people feel better about the season? Is Penn St >>> Wisconsin? I don't know, I'm asking the people who follow this closer than me.

Atmosphere was fantastic yesterday, I might get season tickets next year. I went to three games and had a blast at every one.
The Iowa loss is the one that bothers me the most. Yesterday much easier to take if we had beaten Iowa. All that said, it is what it is. I'm in this for the long haul, for fuck sakes it's going on 40some years for me being a fan. So my point is - no question this ending sucks and I ain't interested in settling for anything, but that said, I'm more confidently excited for the future probably since my man Holtz was here. So that's my focus.

Glad you were able to enjoy 3 games. I'm definitely taking the fam next year.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

I cringe every time Fleck speaks. Literally.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

JPM wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:45 pm I cringe every time Fleck speaks. Literally.
I enjoy him, but the "Big Ten West co-champions" is a crock of shit.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:57 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:39 pm Time to stop questioning who Fleck is as a person. Literally everyone that's interacted with him say he's like he is on tv, all the time every time.

The Iowa loss is the one that bothers me the most. Yesterday much easier to take if we had beaten Iowa. All that said, it is what it is. I'm in this for the long haul, for fuck sakes it's going on 40some years for me being a fan. So my point is - no question this ending sucks and I ain't interested in settling for anything, but that said, I'm more confidently excited for the future probably since my man Holtz was here. So that's my focus.

Glad you were able to enjoy 3 games. I'm definitely taking the fam next year.
completely agree with the Iowa loss being the one that stings the most...also, I hate ending the regular season losing to our two biggest rivals.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

JPM wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:45 pm I cringe every time Fleck speaks. Literally.
He's no Chilly!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Co-Champions!

Knock it the fuck off with that shit.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Good lord, listening to fucking Common Man right now... No wonder the sports fans in this town are all diseased.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
j2j

Post by j2j »

NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:38 am Gophers beat one quality opponent, at least 7 important seniors that were Kill recruits are leaving, the cake schedule is done and over......let's see if we got something other than a good Glen Mason year...
Schedule isnt really harder next year. Michigan and Michigan St instead of Penn State and Rutgers.

JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

j2j wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 pm Good lord, listening to fucking Common Man right now... No wonder the sports fans in this town are all diseased.
Don't listen then, crybaby! :lol:
j2j

Post by j2j »

JigglyPuff wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:17 pm
j2j wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 pm Good lord, listening to fucking Common Man right now... No wonder the sports fans in this town are all diseased.
Don't listen then, crybaby! :lol:
Normally don't. It's trash radio for simpletons. :thumbsup:

feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

j2j wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:13 pm
NonprovincialMNFan wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:38 am Gophers beat one quality opponent, at least 7 important seniors that were Kill recruits are leaving, the cake schedule is done and over......let's see if we got something other than a good Glen Mason year...
Schedule isnt really harder next year. Michigan and Michigan St instead of Penn State and Rutgers.
Michigan and PSU is a wash, but even a down MSU on the road is a 10x tougher opponent than Rutgers.
j2j

Post by j2j »

feekdogg wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:52 pm
Michigan and PSU is a wash, but even a down MSU on the road is a 10x tougher opponent than Rutgers.
Yes, but it's not like we added Michigan and OSU. If we're supposed to be a good program, MSU is a win.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:05 pm
feekdogg wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:52 pm

Yes, but it's not like we added Michigan and OSU. If we're supposed to be a good program, MSU is a win.
Just going to assume MSU had an unordinarily down year and will be back to it's normal self next year. I would say the bar has been set now where a really bad year for Fleck with the Gophers is 6-7 wins and there might be year where that happens (if he's here for the long haul). I thought the goal when Mason was here was to try and compete for the big ten title every 5-6 years, have that pop up season where you can win 10+ games. My immediate hope for next year is #1 -- beat Iowa for fuck's sake. Game is the third game of the year, get it done. The schedule in November looks favorable (for now) so hopefully they don't slip too much early. Wisconsin doesn't have MSU, Penn St or Ohio St... Michigan on the road and a Notre Dame matchup which doesn't mean anything for conference right? It's definitely possible Minnesota is sitting at like a 5-4 record after October.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

# of people that care = 0