Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Any chance at the FBS playoffs for the Gophers?

Home for Gopher football topics
ForCaleb

Any chance at the FBS playoffs for the Gophers?

Post by ForCaleb »

I have no idea how this could shake out and the chances aren't good considering the Gophers have to play Ohio State, BUTTTT.....I think the Gophers make the playoffs if they beat OSU:

Gophers win out:
@NW
Wis
OSU (neutral)

Need 1 loss from OSU:
Penn State
@Michigan
Gophers (neutral)

Need 1 loss from Georgia:
Texas A&M
@GT
SEC championship (LSU)

Need 1 loss from Oklahoma:
TCU
@Okla St
B12 championship (Baylor)
jffl_commish

Re: Any chance at the FBS playoffs for the Gophers?

Post by jffl_commish »

Win out and they have a shot, if OSU beats Penn St today. The Gophers would then have two wins over playoff (at the time) ranked teams.
Let's get Tropical
j2j

Post by j2j »

Win out and I'd think they'd get it as the Big 10 champs over a second SEC team.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

The CBS pregame crew thinks the Pac12 will have a one-loss team in the playoffs.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Even if they lose the Big 10 Championship game they go to the Rose Bowl which is still good, but what if they fall to Wisconsin to finish 10-2 and the Badgers go to the Championship game to play Ohio State, what type of Bowl Game do the Gophers get for that ? I would imagine a pretty good one still, I just can't narrow it down to which games are the best possible (for the worst scenario).
Sky Spy in the Sky !
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hummdrum wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:31 pm Even if they lose the Big 10 Championship game they go to the Rose Bowl which is still good, but what if they fall to Wisconsin to finish 10-2 and the Badgers go to the Championship game to play Ohio State, what type of Bowl Game do the Gophers get for that ? I would imagine a pretty good one still, I just can't narrow it down to which games are the best possible (for the worst scenario).
The "worst" bowl they can play in would be the Outback in Tampa.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

[media][/media]
feekdogg wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:59 pm
Hummdrum wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:31 pm Even if they lose the Big 10 Championship game they go to the Rose Bowl which is still good, but what if they fall to Wisconsin to finish 10-2 and the Badgers go to the Championship game to play Ohio State, what type ofI Bowl Game do the Gophers get for that ? I would imagine a pretty good one still, I just can't narrow it down to which games are the best possible (for the worst scenario).
The "worst" bowl they can play in would be the Outback in Tampa.
OK. Iowa went there last season with just an 8-4 record (5-4 conference). Gophers should do better than that even at the very worst. It's a New Years Day Game with an 11:AM CST kickoff time. Iowa has been in the Outback about 3 of the last 6 years so the NCAA probably wants to mix it up a little. It was originally called the Hall of Fame Bowl.
Outback Bowl
DescriptionThe Outback Bowl is an annual college football bowl game played at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, usually on New Year's Day. The event was originally called the Hall of Fame Bowl from 1986 to 1994 until being renamed in 1995 for its new title sponsor, Outback Steakhouse
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

Would Minnesota get in as a one-loss Big Ten champion, or would brand-name bias be a factor?

Early prediction: Gophers would be in.
Here's why: Minnesota's three ranked wins -- against Penn State, Wisconsin and Ohio State -- would arguably be better than any other contender's résumé...

The conspiracy theories will always float among fans, and there will always be doubts about a process that happens entirely behind closed doors.

What Minnesota would have done, though, is in plain sight -- and would be impossible to ignore.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... gon-others
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Let's just beat Wisconsin first.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:33 pm Let's just beat Wisconsin first.

That's a different thread.
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

How many times have we even had an opportunity in our lifetimes to even entertain a thread like this?

So for the dream to live, I would say, LSU has to beat Georgia. OSU has to beat Michigan and we have to beat Wiscy to setup the CHANCE to play #1 OSU in the Big Ten title gane.

Then two Big Ten teams could actually be considered.

Auburn beating Alabama would be huge as well.

It's fun to dream.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Never I think is the proper answer. I don't recall them ever being in the top 10, let alone with a chance this late in the season for something really serious.
Let's get Tropical
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Even if the Gophers win on Saturday, their odds to make the playoff is still only 3.6%. It's a flawed system. At a minimum, the playoff should be six teams where the top to seeds get a bye. Ideally, you'd expand the field to twelve, which would look something like this:

There would be three two-loss teams in the field, but those six losses are to #2 LSU, #4 Georgia, #1 Ohio State (2), #8 Minnesota, and Illinois.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

They need to win, obviously, and have Ohio State beat Michigan. Then Beat Ohio State and they have to be in. They would have wins over at the time the #4, #10, and #1 CBS ranked teams.
Let's get Tropical
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:06 pm They need to win, obviously, and have Ohio State beat Michigan. Then Beat Ohio State and they have to be in. They would have wins over at the time the #4, #10, and #1 CBS ranked teams.
they beat bucky and an undefeated OSU and they're in.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:02 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:06 pm They need to win, obviously, and have Ohio State beat Michigan. Then Beat Ohio State and they have to be in. They would have wins over at the time the #4, #10, and #1 CBS ranked teams.
they beat bucky and an undefeated OSU and they're in.
This. How is this being debated? If we win out of course we are in. :lol:

I think we beat Wisconsin and I don't think we get beat handily by OSU, just don't see how we can beat them.

And yes the CFP should be 8 or 12 teams. It's a joke it's 4, it's just less a joke than it used to be.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

If Michigan beats OSU, that would hurt the Gophers chances of a win-out and get in scenario. That's where the whole brand bias nonsense will show up.
Let's get Tropical
hategreenticemase

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:23 am If Michigan beats OSU, that would hurt the Gophers chances of a win-out and get in scenario. That's where the whole brand bias nonsense will show up.
While I agree it makes it less "no brainer", I think we still get it. Where you are correct is, the one thing we have going for us is I believe just about everyone "eye tests" the Buckeyes as best team in nation. Therefore, us beating them is fn massive. Therefore, I just dont see the Big 10 champ, especially one with this great of a "story" behind it as MN would be, being left out.

Another way to look at it, is this. If we do indeed beat Bucky, we are now in my opinion, 6th and could even pass up Alabama. Alabama that is the one that is really hosed - I think they almost have to destroy Auburn and even if they do, not sure it will matter - I dont see them getting in. So, if we are 5th or 6th, there is 1-2 teams ahead of us. One of the teams ahead of us, OSU, we will beat in this "scenario". This means we would have to bypass at most, one team. No one below us is bypassing us - Oklahoma and fucking Utah - neither will have as impressive of wins as PSU and OSU, and Alabama no more games after tomorrow.

The one scenario that is dicey is Georgia winning out. But honestly, I think its GA, Clemson, us and LSU then and the Pac12 or Big 12 gets hosed, not Big10.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Agreed. If OSU is still 1 or 2 at the time of the Big 10 Championship game, no choice but to put the Gophers in if they reach that game and win it. The only concern would be an OSU loss to Michigan.

I absolutely love that we can even have this discussion. It still seems so crazy and surreal.
Let's get Tropical
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Whatever happens it's incredible and wonderful that it's even up for debate.

Good times.
hategreenticemase

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:23 am Agreed. If OSU is still 1 or 2 at the time of the Big 10 Championship game, no choice but to put the Gophers in if they reach that game and win it. The only concern would be an OSU loss to Michigan.

I absolutely love that we can even have this discussion. It still seems so crazy and surreal.
This, and what Slap Shot said. Its preposterous times, fella's! Enjoy the shit out of it!

I really, really want to beat Bucky. I fucking despise them, it guarantees a GREAT season, and the worst outcome is playing in the God damn Rose Bowl. Seriously, are you fn kidding me with that???!!!!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:34 am
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:23 am Agreed. If OSU is still 1 or 2 at the time of the Big 10 Championship game, no choice but to put the Gophers in if they reach that game and win it. The only concern would be an OSU loss to Michigan.

This, and what Slap Shot said. Its preposterous times, fella's! Enjoy the shit out of it!

I really, really want to beat Bucky. I fucking despise them, it guarantees a GREAT season, and the worst outcome is playing in the God damn Rose Bowl. Seriously, are you fn kidding me with that???!!!!
There would for sure be some let down if you go 10-2 and the losses were to Wisconsin and Iowa... natural disappointment with the two biggest rivals.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

The goal is to beat Wisconsin then beat Ohio State.
At worst, if the Gophers lose to Wisconsin could the Iowa Hawkeyes possibly be a threat to get a better bowl game than Minnesota or just as good of bowl (Iowa 9-3 and 6-3 in conference) due to Iowa's long history of fan travel plus already beating Minnesota ?
Also, all 3 losses for Iowa were by a total of 14 points all to top 10 teams.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
hategreenticemase

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:50 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:34 am

There would for sure be some let down if you go 10-2 and the losses were to Wisconsin and Iowa... natural disappointment with the two biggest rivals.
Indeed.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hummdrum wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:10 pm The goal is to beat Wisconsin then beat Ohio State.
At worst, if the Gophers lose to Wisconsin could the Iowa Hawkeyes possibly be a threat to get a better bowl game than Minnesota or just as good of bowl (Iowa 9-3 and 6-3 in conference) due to Iowa's long history of fan travel plus already beating Minnesota ?
With Iowa having been in the Outback recently, the Gophers are more likely to go there than Iowa is. Outback and whatever the Citrus is called now are basically the same in terms of prestige.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:37 pm
Hummdrum wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:10 pm The goal is to beat Wisconsin then beat Ohio State.
With Iowa having been in the Outback recently, the Gophers are more likely to go there than Iowa is. Outback and whatever the Citrus is called now are basically the same in terms of prestige.
Just win this one.

A Citrus bowl appearance would be such a letdown. We made one of those in 2015.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:37 pm With Iowa having been in the Outback recently, the Gophers are more likely to go there than Iowa is. Outback and whatever the Citrus is called now are basically the same in terms of prestige.
I see, thanks. We will keep thinking like Sergeant Rubetube because an appearance in the Rose Bowl is still great (or beating Ohio State)= better.

Sergeant Rubetube wrote :
Just win this one.
A Citrus bowl appearance would be such a letdown. We made one of those in 2015.
It would be this year and so would the Outback Bowl but it seemed great on January 1st, 2015 before losing 33-17 to Missouri in the Citrus = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Citr ... me_summary
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

The reason why the January 1, 2015 Citrus appearance(2014 season) seemed so awesome is because it was their first New Year's Day bowl game appearance in 53 years, their previous was the 1962 Rose Bowl.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:17 am
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:23 am If Michigan beats OSU, that would hurt the Gophers chances of a win-out and get in scenario. That's where the whole brand bias nonsense will show up.
While I agree it makes it less "no brainer", I think we still get it. Where you are correct is, the one thing we have going for us is I believe just about everyone "eye tests" the Buckeyes as best team in nation. Therefore, us beating them is fn massive. Therefore, I just dont see the Big 10 champ, especially one with this great of a "story" behind it as MN would be, being left out.

Another way to look at it, is this. If we do indeed beat Bucky, we are now in my opinion, 6th and could even pass up Alabama. Alabama that is the one that is really hosed - I think they almost have to destroy Auburn and even if they do, not sure it will matter - I dont see them getting in. So, if we are 5th or 6th, there is 1-2 teams ahead of us. One of the teams ahead of us, OSU, we will beat in this "scenario". This means we would have to bypass at most, one team. No one below us is bypassing us - Oklahoma and fucking Utah - neither will have as impressive of wins as PSU and OSU, and Alabama no more games after tomorrow.

The one scenario that is dicey is Georgia winning out. But honestly, I think its GA, Clemson, us and LSU then and the Pac12 or Big 12 gets hosed, not Big10.

LSU needs to take care of Georgia in the SEC championship to ensure only one SEC team is in.

If Oregon beats Utah in the P12 championship there won't be a P12 team in (both teams would have 2 losses).

If Oklahoma were to lay an egg against Okla St tonight they'd be done (2 losses).

I started this thread prematurely, but it's definitely clear if the Gophers win out, they are in the playoffs!
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

I know it's a small point, but Iowa not screwing up by losing yesterday (they almost did), makes them 9-3 and a loss to them doesn't look bad at all.

Big game today.