Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Golden Oars vs Iowa Hickeyes Game Day Thread ***

Home for Gopher football topics
Bob Wiley

Re: *** Golden Oars vs Iowa Hickeyes Game Day Thread ***

Post by Bob Wiley »

Bad drops by good recievers hurt too.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
j2j

Post by j2j »

Hummdrum wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:36 pm Is it possible the Gophers could be almost as good next season ? I don't mean record wise but keep the boat rowing with 9-10 wins next season.
Morgan and Bateman back on offense is a hell of a start.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Some missed tackles early, some really untimely penalties, more dropped passes than I can think of all season and some poor coaching decisions. On the road against an opponent ranked all year that is hungry to end your dream season and it's too much to overcome.

It's still already a special season and can be even more so if they win their next 2 and make the Rose Bowl.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

j2j wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:37 pm
Hummdrum wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:36 pm Is it possible the Gophers could be almost as good next season ? I don't mean record wise but keep the boat rowing with 9-10 wins next season.
They only have 11 seniors I think and return most of their starters.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

They are pretty damn young yet and have another good recruiting class coming in. The freshman now should hopefully be ready for bigger roles. PJ appears to have them on the proper competitive path.
Let's get Tropical
bri

Post by bri »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:39 pm
They are pretty damn young yet and have another good recruiting class coming in. The freshman now should hopefully be ready for bigger roles. PJ appears to have them on the proper competitive path.
I'm excited for next year seeing how much Morgan and Bateman grow
Also curious to see how they adjust losing Coughlin, Renner, and most likely Winfield
j2j

Post by j2j »

Slap Shot wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:38 pm
Only 11 seniors, but do lose some pretty important starters like Rodney Smith, Brooks, Tyler Johnson, Coughlin, Martin, Barber, Winfield could go pro. Our linebackers and running backs are hit hard. Offensive line is all back though, right?

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

j2j wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:43 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:38 pm

Only 11 seniors, but do lose some pretty important starters like Rodney Smith, Brooks, Tyler Johnson, Coughlin, Martin, Barber, Winfield could go pro. Our linebackers and running backs are hit hard. Offensive line is all back though, right?
I believe the OL is back. They've got some good, young DL & LB that should step up. Still have Ibrahim, that other freshman (Wiley?) and supposedly have a stud RB coming in too.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I could see some decent grad transfers opting here too now that they're on the national map.
Let's get Tropical
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Absolutey...and thats what PJ is trying to build.

Losing Ty Johnson and Rodney Smith on offense, but returning basically everyone else. The Smith loss won't hurt too much, as they have Ibrahim who has proven he is a good runner...losing Ty Johnson sucks, but then you still got Bateman, Autman-Bell, and some other potential breakout candidates.

On defense, they are going to lose a shit ton though. Loads of seniors starting, and Winfield might decide to go pro.

Look at their depth chart here...

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-d ... sota/91188

Defense next year...ouch.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Fleck had a rough day today after a near flawless day last week, but PJ has done a phenomenal job. The program is in such a better place than it has ever been in my lifetime.

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

j2j wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:50 pm Fleck had a rough day today after a near flawless day last week, but PJ has done a phenomenal job. The program is in such a better place than it has ever been in my lifetime.
The thing they say in sports about how its hard to play the following game, after an emotional high seems true in this town. Lot of mental mistakes by the players, and some poor game management from PJ.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Row the boat, see you whiners next week. If you're not too embarrassed to get back in the boat.
Last edited by j2j on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I'm not jumping ship.....unless they lose to Northwestern
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

j2j wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:50 pm Fleck had a rough day today after a near flawless day last week, but PJ has done a phenomenal job. The program is in such a better place than it has ever been in my lifetime.
Been watching this team for 50 years, and there's never been a season that can compare to this.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Well, we're still just as good as Alabama...
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

salamander wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:09 pm Well, we're still just as good as Alabama...
And our QB's season isn't ovah!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

dennis1 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:08 pm
Been watching this team for 50 years, and there's never been a season that can compare to this.
They need to finish it.

It won't be much more than what Kill did in 2014 if they blow the West.

The win over the 4th ranked team was nice but they probably end up in a similar bowl game to 2014 if they don't win the West.

With that said, I think they beat Wisconsin and seeing the Gophers in the B10 championship game and Rose Bowl would be something.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:37 pm Bad drops by good recievers hurt too.
SO negative.....these are KIDS for pete's sake Bob. :pissed:
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:17 pm
They need to finish it.

The win over the 4th ranked team was nice but they probably end up in a similar bowl game to 2014 if they don't win the West.

With that said, I think they beat Wisconsin and seeing the Gophers in the B10 championship game and Rose Bowl would be something.
I have a pretty good feeling that they'll do that.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

dennis1 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:32 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:17 pm

They need to finish it.

I have a pretty good feeling that they'll do that.
Same.

I think they are better than Wisconsin.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Herky

Post by Herky »

j2j wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:30 pm Iowa played well.

I realize we're a running team, but we should have throw it more. Morgan wasn't very decisive at times, though.

Still have to love this team.
Iowa was determined to stop the run it seemed with that one safety look they showed a lot. Minnesota still ran it 30 times for 60 some yards. I too thought they would pass more.

Minnesota is pretty fun to watch. Great QB and WRs.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Herky wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:06 pm
j2j wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:30 pm Iowa played well.

I realize we're a running team, but we should have throw it more. Morgan wasn't very decisive at times, though.

Still have to love this team.
Iowa was determined to stop the run it seemed with that one safety look they showed a lot. Minnesota still ran it 30 times for 60 some yards. I too thought they would pass more.

Minnesota is pretty fun to watch. Great QB and WRs.
Should have been using the pass to set up the run, not the other way around and running into Iowas strength of their front. I get PJ wants to be this running type team, and make things easy for the QB in the passing game, but considering what Iowa is, and how the Gophers have NFL talent at WR, a gameplan should have been orchestrated around the passing game.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I'll always defend PJ's use of timeouts. Its different, but they are used to make sure the team is on the same page, as opposed to being used just for clock management...

with that said, I don't have a problem with him using that timeout when there was like 3 minutes left in the game when the Gophers got to the 1 yard line...That touchdown was crucial to get, so he used the timeout to make sure he got it. What I do have a problem with, is the team not understanding they just needed to ram the middle, and get the likely TD, without having to waste 35 seconds, and a timeout. Just get to the line, run it up the middle...likely scenario, down 3 (or 4 because of kicker), 3:30 left on the clock and 2 timeouts. Instead, you now have to onside kick (giving up field position), and are in a position where one first down basically ends the game because there is only 3 minutes on the clock and you only have one timeout, as opposed to 3:30 and 2 timeouts.

That gaffe there where his team was unprepared for a first and goal from the one, was just as big as Ty Johnson's drop just a bit earlier.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

You hold them to 3 in second half but the hangover from last week was evident in the first half. Great teams don't have hangover's, they don't get drunk and come out next week thinking "we got this", they don't get drunk.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Herky

Post by Herky »

Qman65 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:34 pm You hold them to 3 in second half but the hangover from last week was evident in the first half. Great teams don't have hangover's, they don't get drunk and come out next week thinking "we got this", they don't get drunk.
Iowa only had around 70 yards of total offense too in the second half.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Herky wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:56 pm Iowa only had around 70 yards of total offense too in the second half.
Yes, the offense dissapeared just like you mentioned at halftime which they often do.
There was just enough defense from Iowa to get it done.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Good thing about the gopher bandwagon is it's just as easy to jump off as on.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
j2j

Post by j2j »

Mandatory wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:47 pm Good thing about the gopher bandwagon is it's just as easy to jump off as on.
You'll be missed. Bye! :finger:

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:34 pm I'll always defend PJ's use of timeouts. Its different, but they are used to make sure the team is on the same page, as opposed to being used just for clock management...

with that said, I don't have a problem with him using that timeout when there was like 3 minutes left in the game when the Gophers got to the 1 yard line...That touchdown was crucial to get, so he used the timeout to make sure he got it. What I do have a problem with, is the team not understanding they just needed to ram the middle, and get the likely TD, without having to waste 35 seconds, and a timeout. Just get to the line, run it up the middle...likely scenario, down 3 (or 4 because of kicker), 3:30 left on the clock and 2 timeouts. Instead, you now have to onside kick (giving up field position), and are in a position where one first down basically ends the game because there is only 3 minutes on the clock and you only have one timeout, as opposed to 3:30 and 2 timeouts.

That gaffe there where his team was unprepared for a first and goal from the one, was just as big as Ty Johnson's drop just a bit earlier.
wAt? that was the play of the game. he catches that ball he probably scores. they came away from that possession with no points.