Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Number 7 in AP

Home for Gopher football topics
Straight Edge Raven

Number 7 in AP

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
jffl_commish

Re: Number 7 in AP

Post by jffl_commish »

This seems way too high, but WTF? They keep winning so why not?
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Wow. Congrats.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

It'll be interesting to see how far of the playoff rankings they jump now that they finally have a "real" win. How crazy is it that we're even talking about this?
Let's get Tropical
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:29 pm It'll be interesting to see how far of the playoff rankings they jump now that they finally have a "real" win. How crazy is it that we're even talking about this?
This.....it IS indeed crazy! But I LOVE IT!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Win out and beat Ohio State and we are in :beer:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I was watching the San DIego State vs Nevada game last night, and one of the commentators for that game put the Gophers at #5 for his playoff rankings...seems so surreal.

I'll be surprised if they crack the top ten in the real poll though. It has nothing to do with what I personally think, but what I think the media thinks. I've already seen some make the excuse that even though it was a good win, they want to see them do that on the road, and a win against Iowa, in Iowa would be what finally would change their minds.

I kind of get the argument...this is the top ten now we are talking about. When you are this close to the top, every possible thing about you will get scrutinized. Clemson for example, an undefeated team who has won fairly easily in all their games, has been getting no love. They will likely finally be in the top 4 this week, only because two top 4 teams lost. The reason they aren't getting the love, is mainly because of one mishap where they beat UNC by only 1 point, weeks ago. So, if that is fare to scrutinize, then so are all the games at the beginning of the season when the Gophers just barely scraped by vs weaker opponents.

You look at the top 10 in the AP and coaches polls right now though, and there's only 4 teams that I can say are definitely better than the Gophers...LSU, Bama, Clemson, and tO$U. Then there's the other contenders like Utah, Georgia, Penn State, Oklahoma, Florida, Baylor, Oregon...I wouldn't exactly put the Gophers as favorites vs those teams, but I feel they can beat them, and thats just crazy to think that a Gopher team deserves to be in this consideration among these teams. PJ has talked about raising expectations. My expectations have definitely raised, next level would be thinking we could actually beat the teams like Bama, Clemson, LSU and Ohio St.
j2j

Post by j2j »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:12 pm I was watching the San DIego State vs Nevada game last night, and one of the commentators for that game put the Gophers at #5 for his playoff rankings...seems so surreal.

I'll be surprised if they crack the top ten in the real poll though. It has nothing to do with what I personally think, but what I think the media thinks. I've already seen some make the excuse that even though it was a good win, they want to see them do that on the road, and a win against Iowa, in Iowa would be what finally would change their minds.

I kind of get the argument...this is the top ten now we are talking about. When you are this close to the top, every possible thing about you will get scrutinized. Clemson for example, an undefeated team who has won fairly easily in all their games, has been getting no love. They will likely finally be in the top 4 this week, only because two top 4 teams lost. The reason they aren't getting the love, is mainly because of one mishap where they beat UNC by only 1 point, weeks ago. So, if that is fare to scrutinize, then so are all the games at the beginning of the season when the Gophers just barely scraped by vs weaker opponents.

You look at the top 10 in the AP and coaches polls right now though, and there's only 4 teams that I can say are definitely better than the Gophers...LSU, Bama, Clemson, and tO$U. Then there's the other contenders like Utah, Georgia, Penn State, Oklahoma, Florida, Baylor, Oregon...I wouldn't exactly put the Gophers as favorites vs those teams, but I feel they can beat them, and thats just crazy to think that a Gopher team deserves to be in this consideration among these teams. PJ has talked about raising expectations. My expectations have definitely raised, next level would be thinking we could actually beat the teams like Bama, Clemson, LSU and Ohio St.
Was it Ryan Leaf? He's been pumping the Gophers all season.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Never thought I'd see the day.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:14 pm This seems way too high, but WTF? They keep winning so why not?
It does seem high, but like they say = They weren't the ones who made the schedule.
The 1904 team beat both Grinnell and Carlton.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:03 pm Win out and beat Ohio State and we are in :beer:
:lol:

It is incredible to see them actually get some love. Hopefully, they can keep that Cinderella story going for another week. Zero chance they beat Ohio st.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

What's crazy is that seeing them win out isn't all that crazy is it? I wouldn't put money on it, but I see no reason why they can't at least make the BTCG at 12-0. To be realistic and fair they have to prove themselves this Saturday. Their losing streak at IA is nearly as long as it was at WI, and even after that they have games at NW (possible trap) and UW at home will never be a gimme. But now is the time to finally enjoy the ride and hope they keep the momentum rolling.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

The Iowa game is going to be very tough. Rivalry game on the road and they're a good team. Plus, they just went through a massive and emotional weekend. Will they be ready to go again? We sure hope so.
Let's get Tropical
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Split Wisc / Iowa, beat Northwestern seems damn realistic
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:11 pm The Iowa game is going to be very tough. Rivalry game on the road and they're a good team. Plus, they just went through a massive and emotional weekend. Will they be ready to go again? We sure hope so.
Yes this game is going to be a stiff test. Iowa is a solid team, well coached, at home, angry and the Gophers haven't won there since...?

But this will be the first game at Iowa that I "expect" the Gophers should get serious consideration to be favored. Not that I "expect" them to win, but I expect them to be competitive. One thing you know is happening right now are the borderline/bandwagon fans that expect the opposite - for them to fall flat on their face.

And yeah previous incarnations of this program earned that expectation. Yet so far under Fleck I don't think they've had a complete, "wtf?" game yet and certainly not one where they were remarkably out-coached start to finish.

I said before the PSU game that this team is different. From the Pres, to the admin, to the AD, to the staff and to the roster. They are just different. Not perfect, not unbeatable, not world beaters, but different. I would not be flabbergasted by a loss, but I would be if they got crushed, outworked, out-muscled, etc. I just don't see Fleck letting this team forget who they are, where they are in the season, and what they have in front of them if they continue to win.
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

I heard Rex Ryan today on a football show say that Penn State ahead of Clemson is ridiculous. Then he said something to the effect of you could also row the boat down to Clemson and get beat by 40.

He's not buying into the Big Ten.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Stu Pedaso wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:17 pm I heard Rex Ryan today on a football show say that Penn State ahead of Clemson is ridiculous. Then he said something to the effect of you could also row the boat down to Clemson and get beat by 40.

He's not buying into the Big Ten.
Who has Clemson beat with their 43rd SOS? Texas A&M? They have 0 signature wins. FSU? They have 0 signature wins. Louisville? Same.

This is not me saying Clemson shouldn't be ranked where they are nor that the Gophers roll in there and stomp them.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:20 pm
But this will be the first game at Iowa that I "expect" the Gophers should get serious consideration to be favored. Not that I "expect" them to win, but I expect them to be competitive. One thing you know is happening right now are the borderline/bandwagon fans that expect the opposite - for them to fall flat on their face.

The current line has Iowa favored by 3. That seems a bit off, doesn't it? I feel like taking a trip down to Diamond Jo's at that number.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Slim Shady wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:52 pm Split Wisc / Iowa, beat Northwestern seems damn realistic
Seems possible, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Northwestern should be a victory, but the Goofs haven’t won in Iowa in 20 years, and Wisconsin always seems to make Goldy their bitch.

I worry about the emotional high that they went through last week being a problem. There is a reason Iowa is favored.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Dude wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:43 pm

The current line has Iowa favored by 3. That seems a bit off, doesn't it? I feel like taking a trip down to Diamond Jo's at that number.
I think people are just assuming we will go down there and win because we beat Penn St. That line -3 Iowa is exactly where it should be. This will be another big test, and if we blink we will lose. This is a week to week sport, and they just had a huge emotional win and now have to go on the road and stay focused.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Tuck ya in wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:54 am
Dude wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:43 pm
I think people are just assuming we will go down there and win because we beat Penn St. That line -3 Iowa is exactly where it should be. This will be another big test, and if we blink we will lose. This is a week to week sport, and they just had a huge emotional win and now have to go on the road and stay focused.
I'm not assuming anything. The Gophers are the better football team but a lot goes on the week leading up to a game and then you have the game itself. This is not a gimme game by any stretch. Iowa is going to be motivated for several reasons. Rivalry game, Floyd, long home win streak vs. Minnesota, hope to bust the Gophers win streak and playoff hopes, etc. Yet Minnesota has just as much to play for and Fleck's Gophers have rarely looked out-coached and unprepared - things that doomed them often under Mason and Kill. So why is everyone assuming they take a step back despite all of that?

I have said this for weeks - this is a different Gophers team than anything we have seen in years. From the U President, to the admin, the AD, to the coach and staff, and up and down the roster. Despite the weak schedule up until PSU, previous Gophers teams would have lost 2-3 games already.

Iowa is talented and rated for a reason and the Gophers cannot suffer a letdown and expect to win.

And for a haha bit:
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 am I'm not assuming anything. The Gophers are the better football team but a lot goes on the week leading up to a game and then you have the game itself. This is not a gimme game by any stretch. Iowa is going to be motivated for several reasons. Rivalry game, Floyd, long home win streak vs. Minnesota, hope to bust the Gophers win streak and playoff hopes, etc. Yet Minnesota has just as much to play for and Fleck's Gophers have rarely looked out-coached and unprepared - things that doomed them often under Mason and Kill. So why is everyone assuming they take a step back despite all of that?

I have said this for weeks - this is a different Gophers team than anything we have seen in years. From the U President, to the admin, the AD, to the coach and staff, and up and down the roster. Despite the weak schedule up until PSU, previous Gophers teams would have lost 2-3 games already.

Iowa is talented and rated for a reason and the Gophers cannot suffer a letdown and expect to win.
Yep. And you can see the seeds of this in last year's team but they've stepped it up a level this year. They finished strong last season and they are trending that way again after a slow start this season.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Iowa is garbage offensively and overrated.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Just win baby. 10-2 seemed like a realistic outcome by just needing to win one of the "tough" remaining games. Keep it going, keep spreading it out wide... those WRs crush one on one coverage.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ski

Post by Ski »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:41 am Just win baby. 10-2 seemed like a realistic outcome by just needing to win one of the "tough" remaining games. Keep it going, keep spreading it out wide... those WRs crush one on one coverage.
I'm with ya. Next 3 games may be tough but I don't see any reason we can't win all of them all. At least for this team.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

My predictions...

Iowa L The emotion from the Penn St will be hard to replicate and i predict they come out flat.

Northwestern W

Badgers W This sets up the game for all the marbles. Wisconsin isn't that good.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

fleck has a way to get these kids to forgot about that win and get ready for next game.
im sure to a degree he uses the "the penn state win means nothing if you lose to iowa.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Gophers +3 dogs at Iowa. The line has held steady all week.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The Gophers have averaged covering the spread by 6.9 so far this season. It seems the odds makers keep waiting for the shoe to drop.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

feekdogg wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:44 am Iowa is garbage offensively and overrated.
As a Hawks fan...I agree with you.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***