Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fleck

Home for Gopher football topics
Stu Pedaso

Fleck

Post by Stu Pedaso »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Could you go through a wall for this guy?

Seems as about as authentic as it gets.
bri

Re: Fleck

Post by bri »

I ♥ Fleck
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Well, he's no Tim Brewster.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

You could tell from the beginning he wasn't fake. Many fans didn't buy it, and I don't blame them. The ultra-positive, and outside the box thinking just doesnt mesh well with what Minnesota is.

I didn't think this kind of success would come this quick, but since his introductory press conference, I was sold.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm just a chunk of coal-but i'll be a diamond someday.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the power of positivity. "you're either a team or a group. we're a team."

hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 pm You could tell from the beginning he wasn't fake. Many fans didn't buy it, and I don't blame them. The ultra-positive, and outside the box thinking just doesnt mesh well with what Minnesota is.

I didn't think this kind of success would come this quick, but since his introductory press conference, I was sold.
First of all, I am all in on Fleck. Lets make that point clear. But, he is still over the top. He could reign some of it in and some of it is just contrived, frivolous and silly. It doesnt bother me as he is making things happen and I simply dont care about that stuff if someone is producing.

Secondly, and more importantly, history is very very relevant. Look at the utter nonsense we have dealt with from "Geezo Beezo" crap from Wacker to Punky's preposterous blowhard nonsense. So, when it looks like a duck, and talks like a duck - well, you can understand how people would be skeptical.

The guy is the real deal and I am damn glad he is here.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:22 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 pm You could tell from the beginning he wasn't fake. Many fans didn't buy it, and I don't blame them. The ultra-positive, and outside the box thinking just doesnt mesh well with what Minnesota is.

First of all, I am all in on Fleck. Lets make that point clear. But, he is still over the top. He could reign some of it in and some of it is just contrived, frivolous and silly. It doesnt bother me as he is making things happen and I simply dont care about that stuff if someone is producing.

Secondly, and more importantly, history is very very relevant. Look at the utter nonsense we have dealt with from "Geezo Beezo" crap from Wacker to Punky's preposterous blowhard nonsense. So, when it looks like a duck, and talks like a duck - well, you can understand how people would be skeptical.

The guy is the real deal and I am damn glad he is here.
The guy does have alot of over the top emotion, but that's exactly what makes him tick. And it's working. It may not mesh with the MN Scandinavian conservative thing well, and some may not like it, but results are results, and how you get those results are a special brew with no ingredient left out, whether you like that or not.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Same. I've been all in since the rumors started we could get him from WMU.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Ski

Post by Ski »

I bought in from the beginning as well. My one issue is I am buying in that he is genuine, wants to stay here and build it here. No reason to doubt that, but only time will tell. I lurk on a lot of CFB message boards and the love for him is huge and growing. If he keeps that up he will for sure get tons of offers. See what he does then. He real or just like anyone else and bails.

The Texas Longhorns have had a thread about him since he started. here.
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 pm You could tell from the beginning he wasn't fake. Many fans didn't buy it
I bought in out of pure desperation. Glad its working out
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Why P.J. Fleck’s latest turnaround changes narrative on him: 'He’s not a quack, he may be a genius'

As the fans poured onto the field at the University of Minnesota last weekend in the euphoric wake of the Gophers’ upset of No. 4 Penn State, a generational scene unfolded. Thousands of maroon-and-gold-clad Minnesota fans melted onto the turf, drinking in a flurry of once-a-century feelings for University of Minnesota football.

Minnesota’s upset improved the Gophers to 9-0 for the first time in 115 years, back when high school teams popped up on the schedule. Minnesota ranks No. 8 in the most recent College Football Playoff standings, rocketing a college football afterthought into the rarest of airs. Minnesota is having a football moment for the first time since Woodstock, forcing us to rethink everything.

“There’s a euphoria and a pause in time that makes everything literally stop,” Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck said by phone on Tuesday night, reflecting on the postgame scene. “There’s nothing wrong in the world at that moment. It takes over your whole body.”

On the College Football Playoff rankings show on Tuesday, the ESPN talking heads at one point mentioned that Minnesota can afford to lose a game and still reach the playoff. Ponder where that chestnut ranks in the lexicon of unexpected college football conversations. That’s Minnesota, which hasn’t won an outright Big Ten title since 1941, crashing a space reserved for blue-bloods like Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State.

Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck has made a career out of somehow taking alternate realities and turning them into current events. Minnesota is tied for the country’s third-longest win streak (11), and the only surprising part about Fleck’s unprecedented success is that anyone is still surprised.

The touchstone upset on Saturday afternoon represented what’s become a hallmark of Fleck’s seven seasons as a head coach – converts flooding to the vast spaces initially occupied by skeptics. Fleck has popped Minnesota football into a time capsule, harkening precedents from the days of Theodore Roosevelt’s election, a country with only 45 states and the Wright Brothers taking flight. Along the way, he’s flipped countless skeptics – including this reporter – into believers.

The victory by Minnesota on Saturday offered not just a historic victory for the program, but evidence of a pattern that can no longer be dismissed. Fleck has turned consecutive backwater football jobs – Western Michigan and Minnesota – into mainstream destinations.

If Fleck were selling real estate, this would be the equivalent of flipping Dakota property at Nantucket prices. If he were pitching stock, he’d have made BlackBerry sound like Apple.

“I stand at attention and respect,” said Texas A&M basketball coach Buzz Williams, long a Fleck admirer. “I have always cheered for the guy everyone thinks is just a quack. He’s not a quack, he may be a genius.

“If you study it enough, you might say, ‘That’s incredibly intuitive. That’s lights years ahead of the way the industry is doing it.’”

Minnesota’s victory offered an inflection point for divisiveness about Fleck, who has long led college coaching in dismissive comments. (One opposing staff member even burnt an oar, Fleck’s program symbol, on the opposing sideline.) It takes a victory like Saturday’s for an industry to realize that perhaps he’s turning the unconventional into modern convention.

How Fleck wound up at Western Michigan

(and more. to read about it all just click the link)

https://sports.yahoo.com/pj-flecks-late ... 29346.html
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Minnesota basketball coach Richard Pitino greeted Fleck with similar skepticism when he arrived on campus. Pitino remembers leaving the building one night and running into Fleck, who immediately made Pitino know how he was doing: “ELITE!”

Pitino remembers thinking to himself as he got in his car: “Am I going to have to listen to this every time I see this guy? Not only is it annoying, but it’s grammatically incorrect.”

Pitino’s roots in the Northeast trend him toward cynical. So you can imagine his reaction when Fleck moved in on the same street. But after a few nights smoking cigars and sipping wine at his backyard fire pit, Pitino warmed to Fleck. Richard and Jill Pitino have grown close to P.J. and Heather Fleck, and the Pitinos have gone through familiar phases of understanding the P.J. Fleck experience: Skepticism to acceptance to full embrace.

“You’re not going to like him if you don’t know him yourself,” Pitino said by phone Tuesday. “But that’s the way that he is all the time. He’s relentlessly positive. He’s a lot more real than you’d think he’d be.”

the power of positivity.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Little Richard could use some PJ in his program.

Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Fleck bonehead issues today:

Trying 50 yard FG with a kicker who has no business kicking for a Big 10 team

Him and Rossi thinking they could play coverage against Iowa...one issue when your dbacks are not within 10 yards of any receiver

Wasting a timeout on first and goal from one because you couldn’t get a play in...you have that timeout you kick the ball deep and gain 40 yards field position

Running onto field like maniac...didn’t cost us a possession just field position
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Sid... Are ya sure? But the moron froobs were bitching about them not kicking a field goal and going for it on 4th down. They got quiet after the missed extra point.

The timeout on the 1 was brutal. So was the failed commitment to the run.

Bad game, move on to Northwestern.

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Why does it seem like every play takes forevah to run? I watch the play clock tick down towards zero and Tanner and the whole offensive group seem to be lookin ovah to the sidelines tryin to figure things out. That certainly didn't help at the end of the game....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
j2j

Post by j2j »

Hornets wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:07 am Why does it seem like every play takes forevah to run? I watch the play clock tick down towards zero and Tanner and the whole offensive group seem to be lookin ovah to the sidelines tryin to figure things out. That certainly didn't help at the end of the game....
Obviously there are certain situations where they have to cut that shit out, but I assume they're set up the way many other teams who do the same thing.

They get two plays in the huddle, go to the line, see how the defense is lined up, then look over to get which play they're going to run.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sid Hartman wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:00 pm Fleck bonehead issues today:

Him and Rossi thinking they could play coverage against Iowa...one issue when your dbacks are not within 10 yards of any receiver

Wasting a timeout on first and goal from one because you couldn’t get a play in...you have that timeout you kick the ball deep and gain 40 yards field position

Running onto field like maniac...didn’t cost us a possession just field position
Just seeing this post now... does anything with Minnesota sports actually make you happy? Geez.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:15 am

Just seeing this post now... does anything with Minnesota sports actually make you happy? Geez.
This your burner account Mizuno Man??!! Coaching lost the Iowa game
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sid Hartman wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:59 am

This your burner account Mizuno Man??!! Coaching lost the Iowa game
Who the hell is Mizuno Man? Answer my original question!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

:lol: Every fucking post he makes is him bitching about something.... Clown..
hategreenticemase

I'm not going into details, but I very recently had the opportunity to meet Fleck in a small group setting for a few minutes. He is very, very impressive in person. Genuine and impressive. We are lucky to have him no matter how great of season plays out.
MickHud

Post by MickHud »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:40 am I'm not going into details, but I very recently had the opportunity to meet Fleck in a small group setting for a few minutes. He is very, very impressive in person. Genuine and impressive. We are lucky to have him no matter how great of season plays out.
I bet you couldn’t wait to post this with your little ban.

Look at me! Look at me!
j2j

Post by j2j »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:40 am I'm not going into details, but I very recently had the opportunity to meet Fleck in a small group setting for a few minutes. He is very, very impressive in person. Genuine and impressive. We are lucky to have him no matter how great of season plays out.
Couple of my players are being recruited by the Gophers as preferred walk-ons. They were guests for the Penn State game, and were in the locker room before and after. Neither are rah rah types... very blue color, hard working, type A kids from great families. Both came across super impressed and raving about Fleck.

hategreenticemase

j2j wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:25 pm
Couple of my players are being recruited by the Gophers as preferred walk-ons. They were guests for the Penn State game, and were in the locker room before and after. Neither are rah rah types... very blue color, hard working, type A kids from great families. Both came across super impressed and raving about Fleck.
That's cool and not surprising. He is very impressive in person. A lot more genuine than most would think and very bright.

Again, a MAJOR part of any remaining skepticism is due to what came before him. Not only mostly 50 years of mediocrity sprinkled into to dogshit football, but two of the most over the top, BS scam artists of all time in Wacker and Punky. So when hearing similar rhetoric, it can cause some skepticism.

Bottom line, the guy is the real deal and everyone will be on board eventually but a half century is a long time to erase. He is the ideal guy for here just like Holtz was. Exciting times!
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

The thing is that the U needs to build its program and the structure around the coach for this to work. When Holts came in the team came alive but then he left abruptly and the team reverted back to what it was because the U didn’t have the right structure in place. Even now we should have a contingency in place for maintaining what is being built even if Fleck leaves. If the U doesn’t do that then everything may be for naught.
In Kwesi we trust.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

That being said I am ecstatic to have Fleck here and I hope he is here a long time and builds the program into a power house.
In Kwesi we trust.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

If you've suffered as a Minnesota sports fan as long as I have you need to lower your expectations. The Rodent football squad has been mostly mediocre to putrid for 50 years. I don't need a Rose Bowl or playoff to satisfy me.....just give me a team that can consistently be competitive and occasionally really good, perhaps similar to what Iowa has done for decades.

rah
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

I feel like a little bit of the loss was on Fleck, but very little. He has brought in players and a philosophy the breeds winning. He’s never gonna get the top players, but this program is on the rise and Fleck is the major reason.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse