Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

I've been overworked and underpaid for far too long

Cobey
Trouble

I've been overworked and underpaid for far too long

Post by Cobey »

I demand a promotion and a pay raise. If my requirements aren't met, I'm fully prepared to sulk around and whine about it for at least 3 hours.
Bob Wiley

Re: I've been overworked and underpaid for far too long

Post by Bob Wiley »

It depends on your qualifications. As you know everyone here is already an expert at everything.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:36 pm Whatever I'm paying you now I'll double it.
I will not accept anything less than a 250% increase.
Herky

Post by Herky »

I want my own office with a toilet.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:36 pm
Herky wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 pm I want my own office with a toilet.
Welcome to your new office!

:thumbsup:
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Welcome to last 40 fucking years of American labor.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

If American worker can lay the ground work for $15 hr minimum wage , we can tell those who employ us we have them over a barrel. You think you can replace our production?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Qman65 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:15 am If American worker can lay the ground work for $15 hr minimum wage , we can tell those who employ us we have them over a barrel. You think you can replace our production?
One word: yes.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:02 pm
Qman65 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:15 am If American worker can lay the ground work for $15 hr minimum wage , we can tell those who employ us we have them over a barrel. You think you can replace our production?
There are costs & issues with maintenence, training, & operations for any technology used to replace human labor.
On top of that a vast majority of 'machines' thought to replace us can only do one process; albeit far more efficiently and at higher productivity. Whereas one employee can perform a variety of tasks at a fairly constant expense for an employer. An employer will also need to pay more of a premium for specially trained techs and operators the more specialized their automation process begins.

So while "yes" may be an answer, it is certainly not the best answer, nor a remotely plausible one, in a vast majority of all cases.
Lampin'
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:34 am
There are costs & issues with maintenence, training, & operations for any technology used to replace human labor.
On top of that a vast majority of 'machines' thought to replace us can only do one process; albeit far more efficiently and at higher productivity. Whereas one employee can perform a variety of tasks at a fairly constant expense for an employer. An employer will also need to pay more of a premium for specially trained techs and operators the more specialized their automation process begins.

So while "yes" may be an answer, it is certainly not the best answer, nor a remotely plausible one, in a vast majority of all cases.
A vast amount of productivity currently being performed by human labor can be replaced with non-human labor if the price of the minimum wage rose to $15/hour. The median hourly wage is 18.21. Driving the "minimum" wage to 82% of the median is completely absurd and the economic consequences could be devastating particularly when all of the other mandates and expenses that liberal politicians want to tack onto employers.

Consider the City of Minneapolis. They just recently passed a statute that mandates sick pay time for all employees earned at one hour for every 30 hours worked. They also have pressed for statutes requiring that all work be scheduled on a 28 day advance notice, otherwise the labor would have to get overtime pay.

So, if you are running a McDonalds and one of your $15/hour employees calls in sick you have to pay them $15 for every hour they are not there. Then, when you call in a replacement you need to pay that employee $22.50/hour meaning that you would have $37.50 per hour cost for that low level labor that with McDonalds pricing is probably worth $8hour. Add in FICA, WC, unemployment, ObamaCare mandates, all of your employee administration and reporting cost. Insane. The touch screen kiosk is a really good deal and the few $15/hour employees left working in the store will have to work their asses off.
Herky

Post by Herky »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:10 am

A vast amount of productivity currently being performed by human labor can be replaced with non-human labor if the price of the minimum wage rose to $15/hour. The median hourly wage is 18.21. Driving the "minimum" wage to 82% of the median is completely absurd and the economic consequences could be devastating particularly when all of the other mandates and expenses that liberal politicians want to tack onto employers.

Consider the City of Minneapolis. They just recently passed a statute that mandates sick pay time for all employees earned at one hour for every 30 hours worked. They also have pressed for statutes requiring that all work be scheduled on a 28 day advance notice, otherwise the labor would have to get overtime pay.

So, if you are running a McDonalds and one of your $15/hour employees calls in sick you have to pay them $15 for every hour they are not there. Then, when you call in a replacement you need to pay that employee $22.50/hour meaning that you would have $37.50 per hour cost for that low level labor that with McDonalds pricing is probably worth $8hour. Add in FICA, WC, unemployment, ObamaCare mandates, all of your employee administration and reporting cost. Insane. The touch screen kiosk is a really good deal and the few $15/hour employees left working in the store will have to work their asses off.
What makes you think a replacement will be called in? Most McDonald's around here never have a full staff working anyway for whatever reason., It's not "fast food" anymore.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Herky wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:56 am
mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:10 am

What makes you think a replacement will be called in? Most McDonald's around here never have a full staff working anyway for whatever reason., It's not "fast food" anymore.
Because at $15/hour their staffing levels will be below minimal....
Herky

Post by Herky »

Lots of McDonald's are below minimal now with staffing. Even during the day.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Herky wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:33 am Lots of McDonald's are below minimal now with staffing. Even during the day.
Exactly. Raising the min wage to $15/hour will mean they will have just a skeletal human staff running the place adn that the workers who are there making $15/hour will have significant productivity demands.... all of this just to raise the nominal wage, not the real wage because in the end all prices will be increased. The people earning $15/hour will not be any better off in real terms than before and the people dislocated by this dumb as fuck idea will be much worse off.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

If you get paid $15/hr or more you don't get any help from local or federal govt. Right? No SNAP. No MNCare because you make to much, tax credit. How about taking out a percentage of your annual income to pay for Medicare For All for everyone?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Qman65 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:26 am If you get paid $15/hr or more you don't get any help from local or federal govt. Right? No SNAP. No MNCare because you make to much, tax credit. How about taking out a percentage of your annual income to pay for Medicare For All for everyone?
You wouldnt be able to afford it. Thats why.