Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

New Vehicle Suggestions

Cars, bikes, and other things you work on in the garage.
j2j

New Vehicle Suggestions

Post by j2j »

Spoiler:
Not a fucking Ford Fiesta, assholes.
I currently have a full size truck, but really ended up using it far less than I expected, and likely even less now. February I'm getting something new, but want to start test driving once CORONA BREAK 2020 finishes removing all the boomers.

Any suggestions? To get an idea of what in looking for, my attention has been drawn towards a new Jeep Grand Cherokee so far. Something that can tow a little when needed, can handle shitty weather, has room for the family, and says IDGAF about the environment without completely wiping out the rainforest.

Anything else I should look at?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Cobey
Trouble

Re: New Vehicle Suggestions

Post by Cobey »

Budget? New or used?
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Regardless of what you decide, I'd really suggest jumping on this sooner rather than later. Pretty much every manufacturer is offering some good incentives and basically free financing. Even Hyundai/Kia are offering 3 year/36k worth of free scheduled maintenance.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Unless you are on some back roads, do not waste money on anything 4 wheel drive. the cost vs how many times you MIGHT use it makes it a easy call. If you live in the metro area, you do not need 4 wheel drive. If you live in the metro area and try to defend having 4 wheel drive, please send your DL back to the state.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Cobey wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:22 pm Budget? New or used?
New and likely in the 40k-45k range, give or take. I'm leasing my current truck, it's not up until February 2021.

I've considered one of the mid-large Hyundai or Kia SUVs.

Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

j2j wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:37 pm
Cobey wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:22 pm Budget? New or used?
New and likely in the 40k-45k range, give or take. I'm leasing my current truck, it's not up until February 2021.

I've considered one of the mid-large Hyundai or Kia SUVs.
They're solid vehicles with bulletproof warranties. They'll get you to your destination reliably. That said, they're largely very boring to drive and incredibly disconnected from the road. If towing is a need, I'd suggest doing some research on them as I cant really speak to the capacity, but I do know you're looking at a 2.4L I4 engine at the base model. I dont recall if they have a V6 anymore, but regardless, dont expect much for towing purposes
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Depends on what kind of owner you are. Are you a frequent trader-inner before the warranty is up? Or do you tend to keep them til they turn to rust?

If you're a trader-inner, fuck it...get whatever.

If you're a keeper til they turn to rust, you're really going to have to do some homework on known reliability issues.

For example....stay away from any newer Ford with all wheel drive. They are having major issues with the PTU's (power transfer unit) in them. They only hold about half a quart of oil in them, and that oil is getting cooked by the exhaust which is right next to the PTU. There's a bearing race pressed into the aluminum case that ends up spinning in it's press fit aluminum housing due to excessive heat. The aluminum get's chewed to shit, you're paying roughly $1500 for a new one. Ford never bothered to put a drain and fill plug in these PTU's either (maintenance free!), so it's not like one could change the oil in them to make them last a little longer than 50k miles.

Update: Ford wised up and added a drain plug, a temp sensor, and a little cooler on the newest ones, but still no heat shield between the catalytic converter and the PTU. You gotta pull the temp sensor to refill it. Buyer beware.
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
j2j

Post by j2j »

I've leased every vehicle I've had for 20 years, trading them in every 2-3 years. Started with Ford, but grew to hate them. Current vehicle is a Ram, but drove a lot of Chevy/GM the 4 vehicles before that.

Leaning towards the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

I only buy Toyotas these days.

Good luck.
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent, emotionally overdrawn, and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter:
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Sarge wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:14 am Depends on what kind of owner you are. Are you a frequent trader-inner before the warranty is up? Or do you tend to keep them til they turn to rust?

If you're a keeper til they turn to rust, you're really going to have to do some homework on known reliability issues.

For example....stay away from any newer Ford with all wheel drive. They are having major issues with the PTU's (power transfer unit) in them. They only hold about half a quart of oil in them, and that oil is getting cooked by the exhaust which is right next to the PTU. There's a bearing race pressed into the aluminum case that ends up spinning in it's press fit aluminum housing due to excessive heat. The aluminum get's chewed to shit, you're paying roughly $1500 for a new one. Ford never bothered to put a drain and fill plug in these PTU's either (maintenance free!), so it's not like one could change the oil in them to make them last a little longer than 50k miles.

Update: Ford wised up and added a drain plug, a temp sensor, and a little cooler on the newest ones, but still no heat shield between the catalytic converter and the PTU. You gotta pull the temp sensor to refill it. Buyer beware.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3282 ... n-lawsuit/

Yo Sarge,

Is this in any way related to what you're talking about here? Or something different? It sounds to my mostly uneducated brain like they just have bitch ass synchromesh in the mustang gearbox, but curious if you had any insight. I could possibly be in the market for a Mustang in the next handful of years, so curious about this.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Cobey wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:56 am
Sarge wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:14 am Depends on what kind of owner you are. Are you a frequent trader-inner before the warranty is up? Or do you tend to keep them til they turn to rust?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3282 ... n-lawsuit/

Yo Sarge,

Is this in any way related to what you're talking about here? Or something different? It sounds to my mostly uneducated brain like they just have bitch ass synchromesh in the mustang gearbox, but curious if you had any insight. I could possibly be in the market for a Mustang in the next handful of years, so curious about this.
Oof! Thats something completely unrelated to the PTU issue.

How can they screw up a manual gearbox?
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays