Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Where can i get my car painted??

Cars, bikes, and other things you work on in the garage.
Hole Nova Level

Where can i get my car painted??

Post by Hole Nova Level »

That aint gonna rape the sh-t outta me??

I went to Macco and got an estimate.

I get some super analytical-car guy, of course-no surprises there, that wants to fix every nook and cranny, scratch and bubble, "possible" rust-issues, rust you can't even see (behind wheel wells) on my car.

I just want new paint/color. Can't I get that done? I'm just crusing around town and driving only in the summer time, i'm not trying to win an award at the f-cking Down-Town Car Show.
Hole Nova Level

Re: Where can i get my car painted??

Apparently if you bend far enough over, and tilt your head at a 45 degree angle, you can see a small "hump" on one of my door, that Macco said they had to fix....

I don't f-ckin care!!!!
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

You can maybe find a sketchy body shop who would do some work like that, but you'll get what you pay for. It will probably look like shit.

The reason they want to fix the rust and imperfections now isn't to bend you over, but to allow the paint job to last for more than 6-12 months.

If you wanna get it done on the cheap and don't mind some DIY work, I've seen some threads on other forums where they use plastidip for cars.

Hole Nova Level

Cobey wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:25 pm You can maybe find a sketchy body shop who would do some work like that, but you'll get what you pay for. It will probably look like shit.

The reason they want to fix the rust and imperfections now isn't to bend you over, but to allow the paint job to last for more than 6-12 months.

If you wanna get it done on the cheap and don't mind some DIY work, I've seen some threads on other forums where they use plastidip for cars.

I just texted my old boy, he does paint/body work, he said the price is what it is....f-ck me!

He can't do it any cheaper than what Maacco said. Imma have to pay the piper on this one.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:18 pm
Cobey wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:25 pm You can maybe find a sketchy body shop who would do some work like that, but you'll get what you pay for. It will probably look like shit.

I just texted my old boy, he does paint/body work, he said the price is what it is....f-ck me!

He can't do it any cheaper than what Maacco said. Imma have to pay the piper on this one.
Yeah, they are probably covering their asses. They don't want you coming back in a year because rust overtook your paint job.

It's a shit ton of prep work if you want to do it yourself, but with plastidip, it can be a DIY thing. Tons of "how-to's" out there if you're interested.
Hole Nova Level

Cobey wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:22 pm

Yeah, they are probably covering their asses. They don't want you coming back in a year because rust overtook your paint job.

It's a shit ton of prep work if you want to do it yourself, but with plastidip, it can be a DIY thing. Tons of "how-to's" out there if you're interested.
Wait your serious????? You can DYI painting a car!?!??

I'm gonna check this out...
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:25 pm

If you have a halfway clean garage, yeah.

Its a shit ton of work...I definitely wouldn't undertake it personally, but it's an option. Plastidip isn't exactly paint though, so I don't recall what degree of sanding was necessary, but I don't believe it was as extensive as it would be with paint.
Hole Nova Level

Cobey wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:28 pm

I definitely wouldn't undertake it personally, but it's an option.
Oh i'm bout to take it to a hole-Nova Level, after watching some of these DYI vids!!!
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Oh i'm bout to take it to a hole-Nova Level, after watching some of these DYI vids!!!
It's basically a vinyl wrap in a can. I've seen a bunch that looked pretty good with the matte finish of the plastidip.

Consider me subscribed to this thread. Keep me updated. :thumbsup:
Hole Nova Level

Cobey wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:46 pm

It's basically a vinyl wrap in a can. I've seen a bunch that looked pretty good with the matte finish of the plastidip.

Cobey i'm watching DYI vids...

Questions for you:

I see dudes washing the car first, then sanding, then washing it again, then sanding it again....etc...

I see dudes washing the car, sanding, putting some sort of spray on (wax/dirt remover?) then wash it again, sand it again etc...

Then they'll add primer, then sand that (why?) etc...

Then apply the paint.

Question is what are the best "steps" and what are the purposes of such. I'm no "fixer" type, but I learn quick, teach me and I will succeed.

Talk simple.

example:

Primer- do this after you sand, primer helps the surface absorb and adhere the paint...
Sand- use XYZ grit....do this first, the purpose of washing is.....wash before and after...this helps it....etc...

Teach me Cobey....

Teach..

Me....

I can do this.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:40 pm
Cobey wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:46 pm

Cobey i'm watching DYI vids...

Questions for you:

I see dudes washing the car first, then sanding, then washing it again, then sanding it again....etc...

I see dudes washing the car, sanding, putting some sort of spray on (wax/dirt remover?) then wash it again, sand it again etc...

Then they'll add primer, then sand that (why?) etc...

Then apply the paint.

Question is what are the best "steps" and what are the purposes of such. I'm no "fixer" type, but I learn quick, teach me and I will succeed.

Talk simple.

example:

Primer- do this after you sand, primer helps the surface absorb and adhere the paint...
Sand- use XYZ grit....do this first, the purpose of washing is.....wash before and after...this helps it....etc...

Teach me Cobey....

Teach..

Me....

I can do this.
Paint/body work isn't exactly my forte, if I'm honest. If you're looking for an actual paint job, that's a pretty aggressive undertaking for a DIY thing.

That being said, my understanding is

wash thoroughly to remove dirt
sand to strip it down to bare metal
wash again to remove dust and other particulates that accumulate from sanding
Do any and all prep work here, like covering windows, mirrors, trim work, anything you don't want paint to hit at all
primer does what you stated in your post and also prevents oxidization (i.e. rust)
I've never heard of sanding after priming, but I have little-to-no experience in this, but I'd imagine you'd use a very fine grit here and just remove any and all imperfections you'd come across after the primer dries.
Then apply paint

The reason I specifically suggested using Plastidip is that you can skip the sanding and priming in the above since it's a sprayable vinyl wrap rather than paint. I've seen plenty of great looking examples online.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/
Hole Nova Level

Very interesting Cobey, This may be the path I take!!!

Thanks bruh!