Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Do you work on you cars?

Cars, bikes, and other things you work on in the garage.
Mizuno Man
***Official Gibby Award Winner - February 2019***

Do you work on you cars?

Post by Mizuno Man »

You should...

I'm talking maintenance and mods.

I change my timing belt, brakes, water pump, ball joints and of course oil.

Here's the hook, whenever the gal is getting bitchy or itching for a fight you say, "I've got to take care of that pulley" You go out to the garage, turn on the radio and grab a cold one. :thumbsup:
Asknot to WNU
"Is there a place where we can talk about evolving and dissipating covid hot spots or does anything covid related have to go through your blockade of Covid re-education?"
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Re: Do you work on you cars?

Post by Sellingguy »

i would bet you are in the garage a lot.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

I don't drive a pile of shit like an Acura, so I haven't needed to in a few years.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

I like doing my own oil changes, but it's not cost effective to do it yourself anymore. I can have it done at any tire shop for maybe an extra $5 if I can't find a coupon that day for a full synthetic change. The only way I can maybe justify it is if I do it with a high mileage filter and Royal Purple or similar so I can get 15K+ out of each change.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

No, not really. I've done my own shocks, oil changes, and stuff like that. But I don't anymore. It costs me $30 to have the mechanic in town do my oil changes. Takes him maybe an hour, rotates my tires for free, and I never have to leave the office, because they come and get it for me. It's well worth it, as far as I'm concerned. Also, found out the amount of work it takes to change a bulb on the headlights. Also, not worth my time. On these Avalanches, you essentially have to remove the wheel well, to get at it. I'll pay someone to do it.

If I have to do another alternator (like on a previous truck), I'd do that myself. Pretty quick switch.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:17 pm No, not really. I've done my own shocks, oil changes, and stuff like that. But I don't anymore. It costs me $30 to have the mechanic in town do my oil changes. Takes him maybe an hour, rotates my tires for free, and I never have to leave the office, because they come and get it for me. It's well worth it, as far as I'm concerned. Also, found out the amount of work it takes to change a bulb on the headlights. Also, not worth my time. On these Avalanches, you essentially have to remove the wheel well, to get at it. I'll pay someone to do it.

If I have to do another alternator (like on a previous truck), I'd do that myself. Pretty quick switch.
Alternators can be a bitch to change on some cars too, just based on where it sits in the engine compartment. I had a Lincoln LS where it sat on the underside of the engine with almost no room to get a wrench on 2 of the 3 bolts. Kind of like the headlight issue you're talking about in your avalanche. It's just different for every car.
RC3

Post by RC3 »

No, I let the pros take care of it and I drink at my bar downstairs not in my garage.
reddish?

I will have my vengeance.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

RC3 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:25 pm No, I let the pros take care of it and I drink at my bar downstairs not in my garage.
:lol:

You drink in your smoking lounge/library.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

Mandatory wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:32 pm
RC3 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:25 pm No, I let the pros take care of it and I drink at my bar downstairs not in my garage.

It IS convenient that it’s so close to the stadium seated theatre.
Spoiler:
RC3

Post by RC3 »

TrueBlue wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:40 am
Mandatory wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:32 pm

It IS convenient that it’s so close to the stadium seated theatre.
Not that close, really. About a 4 minute Segway ride.
reddish?

I will have my vengeance.