Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Remote Start Issue

Cars, bikes, and other things you work on in the garage.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Remote Start Issue

Post by Mandatory »

Does remote start not work when it gets down to a certain temp?

It's been working great in my Ram but the last two days when it was really cold it would start up but then turn off after a minute. Is there a setting where it won't work below a certain temp? It would make sense.. but I haven't called the dealer yet to confirm.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Cobey
Trouble

Re: Remote Start Issue

Post by Cobey »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:33 am Does remote start not work when it gets down to a certain temp?

It's been working great in my Ram but the last two days when it was really cold it would start up but then turn off after a minute. Is there a setting where it won't work below a certain temp? It would make sense.. but I haven't called the dealer yet to confirm.
This is a Mopar part, not aftermarket I assume?

Remote start can be dicey on the electrical systems, so it's hard to say. I can't think of a reason where it wouldn't work at a certain temp, but I'd have it looked at.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Cobey wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:40 am
Mandatory wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:33 am Does remote start not work when it gets down to a certain temp?

This is a Mopar part, not aftermarket I assume?

Remote start can be dicey on the electrical systems, so it's hard to say. I can't think of a reason where it wouldn't work at a certain temp, but I'd have it looked at.
Yeah, it's Mopar. It seems like it starts fine and runs for exactly a min then shuts off. It worked just fine today now that temps are returning to somewhat normal. I will call.

#BaltimoreStrong
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

I'll say this...

Yesterday, I started my car up and went back inside to finish getting ready to go to work. I have one of those push button start gimmicks on my car, so I left the keyfob on the passenger seat. Apparently, instead of pushing the button for full blast defrost, I hit the full blast AC button, which is right next to it. The 5ish minutes that the keyfob was sitting in that extreme cold was enough to get the battery in the key to quit working because when I got back into the car, I got a warning on the LCD screen that said the key was outside the car, but I was looking right at it on the passenger seat.

Extreme cold does weird things to pretty much all aspects of a car. Tires, engine, fluids, electronics, battery. So it really could be almost anything.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I definitely think it's an electronic issue as I was getting some flickering interior lights until it warmed up just a smidge yesterday. I'm thinking it all might be by design though.. the idea being if it's that cold you should really be monitoring it on start up.

#BaltimoreStrong
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:25 am I definitely think it's an electronic issue as I was getting some flickering interior lights until it warmed up just a smidge yesterday. I'm thinking it all might be by design though.. the idea being if it's that cold you should really be monitoring it on start up.
If that were the case, I'd think that it wouldn't start at all.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Cobey wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:34 am
Mandatory wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:25 am I definitely think it's an electronic issue as I was getting some flickering interior lights until it warmed up just a smidge yesterday. I'm thinking it all might be by design though.. the idea being if it's that cold you should really be monitoring it on start up.
If that were the case, I'd think that it wouldn't start at all.
You'd think.. but maybe it's taking just that minute for it to start, then register the exterior temp.

#BaltimoreStrong
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

I noticed mine was a little touchy the last couple days. I'd say it's a good chance that the temps were messing with it.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Going to get a basic one for the gals new ride.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Sellingguy wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:27 pm Going to get a basic one for the gals new ride.
I can't emphasize this enough...do NOT go aftermarket or cheap out on a remote start.

When you fuck with the electronics around ignition and the starter, it can and will fuck with a number of things. I've seen it where the car will randomly shut off on the highway and where the car won't shut off at all and everything in between.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Cobey wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:32 pm
Sellingguy wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:27 pm Going to get a basic one for the gals new ride.
I can't emphasize this enough...do NOT go aftermarket or cheap out on a remote start.

When you fuck with the electronics around ignition and the starter, it can and will fuck with a number of things. I've seen it where the car will randomly shut off on the highway and where the car won't shut off at all and everything in between.
so have the dealer put it in?
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Sellingguy wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:51 pm
Cobey wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:32 pm

so have the dealer put it in?
This is the one and only instance where I'd suggest that, as they would be most likely to be privy to some of the more unique quirks to your specific vehicle.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Soo... Wednesday morning when it was super cold and the truck hadn't quite warmed up I got a brief "Hood Open" message on the center cluster. It went right away and I chalked it up to the extreme temps wrecking havoc on the electronics.

Well I received the same message about 10 times today when running errands. Every time it reset almost immediately. Something fucky is going on.

A quick search seemed to turn up a link between this message and people experiencing issues where their remote start wouldn't work. Of course for me it was a bit different, shutting off after a minute in extreme temps. Either way they seem linked... calling the dealer on Monday.

#BaltimoreStrong
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Mandatory wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:59 pm Soo... Wednesday morning when it was super cold and the truck hadn't quite warmed up I got a brief "Hood Open" message on the center cluster. It went right away and I chalked it up to the extreme temps wrecking havoc on the electronics.

Well I received the same message about 10 times today when running errands. Every time it reset almost immediately. Something fucky is going on.

A quick search seemed to turn up a link between this message and people experiencing issues where their remote start wouldn't work. Of course for me it was a bit different, shutting off after a minute in extreme temps. Either way they seem linked... calling the dealer on Monday.
Is this an actual remote start, or is this something you run on an app in your phone? My wife's Hyundai has that bluelink gimmick that she has for free for a certain amount of time, so shes using that instead of installing a remote start. It was giving her trouble today too, but wasnt during the cold snap. But I'm chalking that up to her remote starting it a few times over the last few days but never actually driving it. But the addition of a phone app seems to add another layer of complications
Mizuno Man
***Official Gibby Award Winner - February 2019***

Post by Mizuno Man »

You bought a Dodge....It's junk...electronics will fuck you for the rest of your ownership....best of luck drinking shitty coffee at the dealership while they blow smoke up your ass for the next 5 years. T&P

Buy a 'It's a Hemi' coffee cup next time you're at the dealership!!!
Asknot to WNU
"Is there a place where we can talk about evolving and dissipating covid hot spots or does anything covid related have to go through your blockade of Covid re-education?"
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Mizuno Man wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:28 am

You bought a Dodge....It's junk...electronics will fuck you for the rest of your ownership....best of luck drinking shitty coffee at the dealership while they blow smoke up your ass for the next 5 years. T&P

Fuck off already, guy. Try not being a dick for once.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mizuno Man

Post by Mizuno Man »

Mandatory wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:22 am
Mizuno Man wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:28 am

Fuck off already, guy. Try not being a dick for once.

I'm not the one who made a bad vehicle choice...that's on you bro...sorry it's not working out like you planned...
Asknot to WNU
"Is there a place where we can talk about evolving and dissipating covid hot spots or does anything covid related have to go through your blockade of Covid re-education?"
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

:lol:

#BaltimoreStrong
Mizuno Man

Post by Mizuno Man »

Mandatory wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:53 pm:lol:
I'm a Mod on several car forums......it's tough love.....deal...this is my turf..blame Gaybe for starting this shit.
Asknot to WNU
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

#BaltimoreStrong
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

did he brag about being a mod on SEVERAL car forums ?

Gal heard the price to be able to start her car from inside the store. She did not like the option that much.
im the remote start at home. Under 40 degrees and i go get the car and pull it up to the front door for her.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Mizuno Man wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:55 pm
I'm a Mod on several car forums......it's tough love.....deal...this is my turf..blame Gaybe for starting this shit.
Sweet brag.

It’s not gabe’s fault that you’re a dipshit, though.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 pm did he brag about being a mod on SEVERAL car forums ?

Gal heard the price to be able to start her car from inside the store. She did not like the option that much.
im the remote start at home. Under 40 degrees and i go get the car and pull it up to the front door for her.
Mrs cmd doesn’t have this either. But, she parks in the garage, right next to the door of the house, so at home anyone gets to be the remote start. When we’re out and about, I play that role.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Mizuno Man wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:55 pm

I keep coming back to this for a good laugh.

BTW, I have an appointment to have hood issue looked. Thought you'd want to know.

:beer:

#BaltimoreStrong
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

I'm a Mod on several car forums

Imagine typing this out and thinking it would impress people.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Cobey wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:25 pm I'm a Mod on several car forums

Imagine typing this out and thinking it would impress people.
it reminded me of my former fav mod of rube chat, binky. she claimed that the guy before jab was forcing her to be a mod and she had no choice.
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 pm did he brag about being a mod on SEVERAL car forums ?

Say Gal on more fucking time!...I dare you! :punch:
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Jaamz wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:09 pm

Say Gal on more fucking time!...I dare you! :punch:
gal.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Having had many makes and models with remote start, the Ram's remote start is by far the WORST.REMOTE.START.EVER.

I absolutely hate it. Chevy's is much, much better.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Hood latch sensor was replaced but issue persisted. Dealer needed to open a line of communication with the manufacturer.

Manufacturer asked.. "did you guys reset the software?" Oops.. that fixed it.

#BaltimoreStrong