Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Interesting quote from Theodore Kaczynski on artificial intelligence

Scientific stuff, religious stuff, and all of the shit we don't yet know about like spooky ghosts and bigfoot.
Douglas Bubbletrousers
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2018, June 2019***

Interesting quote from Theodore Kaczynski on artificial intelligence

Post by Douglas Bubbletrousers »

Even though he was a terrorist, he had an insightful quote on AI.

"People will let machines make more of their decisions for them, simply because machine-made decisions will bring about better results than man-made ones. Eventually, a stage may be reached at which the decisions necessary to keep the system running will be so complex that human beings will be incapable of making them intelligently. At that stage, the machines will be in effective control."

Some would argue that this future is preferable, though. Maybe Ted was just a paranoid guy.
I don't give a fig for the simplicity on this side of complexity, but I would die for the simplicity on the other side of complexity.
RC3

Re: Interesting quote from Theodore Kaczynski on artificial intelligence

Post by RC3 »

Take it to Science Chat.
reddish?

I will have my vengeance.
Douglas Bubbletrousers

RC3 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:31 am Take it to Science Chat.
I can't, because it doesn't exist.
I don't give a fig for the simplicity on this side of complexity, but I would die for the simplicity on the other side of complexity.
Douglas Bubbletrousers

This thread moved on its own and now there are party bots here?!?!

The robot takeover has begun, and I'm on board! Time to party!
Douglas Bubbletrousers

TrueBlue wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:17 am
Douglas Bubbletrousers wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 am This thread moved on its own and now there are party bots here?!?!

The robot takeover has begun, and I'm on board! Time to party!
your thought on dating a strong, muscular robot?
Only if it's female :lol:
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

If you needed a shed built in a remote location, TK was the man
Douglas Bubbletrousers

TrueBlue wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 pm
Douglas Bubbletrousers wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:26 am
Sally wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:17 am

your thought on dating a strong, muscular robot?
Only if it's female :lol:
If it's a robot couldnt it be whatever you want it to be?

Male and female will be a thing of the past.
True, but I'd want breasts and a female figure for it. Then when it talked it would be all bossy and demanding.
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

if you need a partyboat, call Fred Smoot
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Douglas Bubbletrousers wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 am Even though he was a terrorist, he had an insightful quote on AI.

"People will let machines make more of their decisions for them, simply because machine-made decisions will bring about better results than man-made ones. Eventually, a stage may be reached at which the decisions necessary to keep the system running will be so complex that human beings will be incapable of making them intelligently. At that stage, the machines will be in effective control."

Some would argue that this future is preferable, though. Maybe Ted was just a paranoid guy.
the trading system on wall street is pretty much driven by machines. we're almost there imo. solving gov't problems without the help of computerized models isn't possible anymore. it's gotten too big and complex.
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

TrueBlue wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:04 am Did someone say robot dancers?

For lube, do I use Astroglide or Quaker State?
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Douglas Bubbletrousers wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 am Even though he was a terrorist, he had an insightful quote on AI.

No one said he was dumb.

Sometimes your view has to be askew to see the world differently, and clearly.

This doesn't mean that skewed view doesn't make you insane.

We've all witnessed intelligent people in this board show flashes of brilliance and instability. You just have to go to the Penalty Box to "drink it in".

#NoNT
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
Barton Fink

Post by Barton Fink »

Very interesting
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

ted