Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Water Ice on Mars

Scientific stuff, religious stuff, and all of the shit we don't yet know about like spooky ghosts and bigfoot.
Straight Edge Raven

Water Ice on Mars

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

European Space Agency just released this image.
51 miles across, 1 mile deep.

Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Water Ice on Mars

Post by HeHateMe »

That's incredible.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'll post this in this thread because your picture is so good.

Snowman-like Photo of Ultima Thule Sent Home by NASA’s New Horizons Spacecraft
At a Wednesday news conference, scientists announced some results from the flyby of the most distant object ever visited.

Jan. 2, 2019

LAUREL, Md. — Ultima Thule, an icy world 4 billion miles from the sun, looks like a big snowman.

At a news conference on Wednesday, scientists working with NASA’s New Horizons mission released several images that the spacecraft took as it flew by on Tuesday, New Year’s Day.

Planetary scientists have never before seen a close-up of a body like Ultima Thule. It is likely a fragment that coalesced more than 4.5 billion years ago and which has remained in the deep freeze of the solar system’s Kuiper belt ever since.

If it is indeed a pristine planetesimal, a building block of the planets, studying it will offer clues to how Earth and its neighbors formed.

On Tuesday, scientists released a blurry picture of this small world, also known by its official designation 2014 MU69, taken before the flyby from a distance of half a million miles. It sort of looked like a fuzzy bowling pin then.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/scie ... izons.html
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Looks like a meteor hit, left a big hole and the water below the crater came up and froze over how many years? Just like our 10,000 lakes with 3 fish but no fish on Mars.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Time for some Martian pond hockey!!!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:08 am Time for some Martian pond hockey!!!
Hell Yeah!

Winter Classic? On Mars? Just need to find two teams that won't mind the four year round trip.

Talk about bus legs...
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.