Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Bringing balance to the universe: New theory could explain missing 95 percent of the cosmos

Scientific stuff, religious stuff, and all of the shit we don't yet know about like spooky ghosts and bigfoot.
weimy froob

Bringing balance to the universe: New theory could explain missing 95 percent of the cosmos

Post by weimy froob »

the bigger question might be where are the other 95 percent of the threads in this important forum?

anyways here goes this one-for as long as it's able to see the light of day that is.

Date:
December 5, 2018
Source:
University of Oxford
Summary:
New research could shed light on the 'missing' dark matter and dark energy that make up 95 percent of our universe and yet are wholly invisible to us.

Milky Way (stock image).

Scientists at the University of Oxford may have solved one of the biggest questions in modern physics, with a new paper unifying dark matter and dark energy into a single phenomenon: a fluid which possesses 'negative mass'. If you were to push a negative mass, it would accelerate towards you. This astonishing new theory may also prove right a prediction that Einstein made 100 years ago.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 093716.htm
salamander

Re: Bringing balance to the universe: New theory could explain missing 95 percent of the cosmos

Post by salamander »

I like that they're trying to move away from the traditional idea of dark energy (the one that Hawking's whole career has banked on) because it's obviously not correct.

But when we start getting into these theories that need exceptions to the laws of physics (see: Big Bang) we constantly find ourselves proving ourselves wrong. I like the direction but it's unlikely that energy is being created.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
weimy froob

Re: Bringing balance to the universe: New theory could explain missing 95 percent of the cosmos

Post by weimy froob »

Farout: Scientists Spot Solar System's Farthest Known Object

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — Astronomers have spotted the farthest known object in our solar system — and they've nicknamed the pink cosmic body "Farout."

The International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center announced the discovery Monday.

"Farout" (pronounced far-out) is about 120 astronomical units away — that's 120 times the distance between Earth and the sun, or 11 billion miles. The previous record-holder was the dwarf planet Eris at 96 astronomical units.

The Carnegie Institution's Scott Sheppard says the object is so far away and moving so slowly it will take a few years to determine its orbit. At that distance, it could take more than 1,000 years to orbit the sun.

The astronomers spied the dwarf planet in November using a telescope in Hawaii.

It's an estimated 500 kilometers (310 miles) across.
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:11 pm Farout: Scientists Spot Solar System's Farthest Known Object

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — Astronomers have spotted the farthest known object in our solar system — and they've nicknamed the pink cosmic body "Farout."

The International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center announced the discovery Monday.

"Farout" (pronounced far-out) is about 120 astronomical units away — that's 120 times the distance between Earth and the sun, or 11 billion miles. The previous record-holder was the dwarf planet Eris at 96 astronomical units.

The Carnegie Institution's Scott Sheppard says the object is so far away and moving so slowly it will take a few years to determine its orbit. At that distance, it could take more than 1,000 years to orbit the sun.

The astronomers spied the dwarf planet in November using a telescope in Hawaii.

It's an estimated 500 kilometers (310 miles) across.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

who saw venus and a couple of days later jupiter in the pre-dawn sky next to the waning moon? it was in the southeastern sky and it was shining right thru my bedroom window i couldn't miss it. venus was there for a few days-but the jupiter siting was different. i had to google to see what that one was. i knew it was a planet-but i had to verify which one it was.