Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

john mellencamp elected to songwriters HOF

Music forum.
weimy froob

john mellencamp elected to songwriters HOF

Post by weimy froob »

:clap: :clap: congrats. he's a true american songwriting icon imo. 80's stuff!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
weimy froob

Re: john mellencamp elected to songwriters HOF

Post by weimy froob »

oh yeah. here's the story.

John Mellencamp, Jermaine Dupri, Alan Jackson Lead 2018 Songwriters Hall of Fame Class

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... an-jackson
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Herky

Post by Herky »

He pissed a bunch of people off at the Mississippi Valley Fair here over the summer. He was an hour late taking the stage and played a bunch of new stuff and a lot of people walked out. The fair manager also said he refused to do meet and greets and wouldn't let the video board show him on the big screen.

He got paid $200K too and the fair manager said he wasn't worth $1 after what he pulled.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Saw him in '06. Liked him less afterwards. One of my least favorite concerts ive been to. Dont know, but he seems like a prick.

Meh, Congrats John Cougar
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the three farmers at the beginning of this video make it. i especially like silent bill on the left. they remind me of my farming buddies growing up in an agricultural community to a T. that's how they think and that's how they talk.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Never liked him. But I got no beef with him.

Good for him and his fans.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

I knew his popular songs but that's about it.

I saw his documentary "Plain Spoken" on Netflix, it was pretty good. He wasn't a "yes man", definitely had beef with record execs.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:38 pm I knew his popular songs but that's about it.

I saw his documentary "Plain Spoken" on Netflix, it was pretty good. He wasn't a "yes man", definitely had beef with record execs.
i never saw the documentary but i do recall him explaining why he went from cougar mellencamp to mellencamp on an mtv interview. something about the falseness of the industry and that didn't want to be packaged like a commodity by the suits in the business. the story of a guy willing to do what he's told to become a commercial success and then once he gets some he takes a look around and he doesn't like what he sees. now it feels like growth going from cougar to cougar mellencamp to mellencamp. at the time i didn't know how much i liked just this mellencamp thing on my ears.

but i remember the day that KQ announced that a new song by a new artist. "i need a lover" by johnny cougar. i know that i never thought about the clever packaged name at the time. i did like the song though.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another honor for mellencamp.

Singer John Mellencamp awarded Woody Guthrie Prize

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Rocker John Mellencamp has been awarded the Woody Guthrie Prize.

The Woody Guthrie Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma, announced Wednesday that Mellencamp will be presented with the award during an Aug. 30 ceremony. He is the fifth recipient.

The annual prize is given to an artist who best exemplifies the spirit and life work of Woody Guthrie by speaking for the less fortunate and serving as a positive force for social change.

The center says in a news release that Mellencamp, like Guthrie, “has used his artistic gifts to spread a positive message of hope, equality and freedom.”

Mellencamp is an Indiana native and a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. His latest album, “Sad Clowns and Hillbillies,” includes the song “My Soul’s Got Wings,” with lyrics written by Guthrie and music by Mellencamp.

Copyright © 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

some more news on the mellancamp front. looks like john got her to agree. :clap:

Meg Ryan announces engagement to John Mellencamp

LOS ANGELES — Here's a little ditty 'bout John and Meg.

Singer John Mellencamp and actress Meg Ryan are getting married.

The 56-year-old announced her engagement to the 67-year-old musician on Instagram . "ENGAGED!" is what she wrote. The post included a drawing of what appears to be the two holding hands. He's also holding a guitar.

They've been dating on and off since 2010.

Ryan was previously married to actor Dennis Quaid, while Mellencamp has been married three times.

No date was announced.