Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Bob's favorite 80's stuff

Music forum.
Qman65

Re: Bob's favorite 80's stuff

Post by Qman65 »

"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

july 5, 1980. a top 40 chart so eclectic that it is an instant reminder of why i like to go back and listen to these shows. here's some of the groups and singers that had hits that year. alice cooper, blondie, journey, frank sinatra, pete townsend, the rolling stones, joe walsh, kenny rogers, the blues brothers, the charlie daniels band, michael jackson, bob segar, billy joel, minnesota's own lipps inc and paul mccartney.

you got a little bit of everything in the early 80's.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1980-07-05

number one for the week.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

DIO in the early 1980's was predicting how our connection to technology would degenerate us. All there was at the time was video games, no internet, smart phones etc. but I think he was predicting a demise in society due to future technology. I think he was right. = https://youtube.com/watch?v=mEV4Tov1GBM ... ov1GBM&t=4
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

This album brought instrumental rock to the forefront.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

july 16, 1983. another countdown show from the salad days. a few highlights from the listen. lots of songs that bring back the memories to choose from. here's three of them.

number 23

number 13

and can you guess the number one song for the week? it was the number one song for the year and was in the middle of an 8 week run at the top of the charts.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

august 5, 1989-the chart that was. big hair bands and dance genre songs were the flavor of the times. a couple posted here.

number 9

number 5

and the top song for the week was from the most anticipated movie of the summer. a very hyped film. do you remember the theme song?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

august 1982 and this song was in the middle of a six week run at the top of the charts that would make it the second biggest song of the year behind only olivia newton john's 'physical". do you remember this huge hit?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

august 18, 1984 and the charts were filled with songs from some big time artists. i could go on about this year plenty-it might have been the year that i had the most fun in this world. on the verge of being out of control from january thru december. but that's another story. let's get to the chart topping music that summer.

making it's debut at number 40

number 13

number 4

and number 1 for the second of three consecutive weeks this monster hit from the big summer blockbuster movie. is that a good enough hint for you?
Spoiler:
who you gonna call :coolio:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

august 22, 1981. what's so interesting about this time and the charts is how many of the songs in the top 40 could have been heard on KQ during that week. or on a country station. it wasn't all top 40 schmaltz and schlock. though that helped if you wanted to get to the top of it. the first couple of songs had a heavy rotation on KQ at the time. others too if you want to go and look at the chart.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1981-08-22

mark goodman put this song in his top 10 for songs of the decade. i remember it as a good timing song that was a good listen when i was parthing up. the drunker i was the better i liked it. and played all the time on KQ that summer.

number 13

number 6 was another album rock station fixture. still is.

but number one for the week was on the third week of a nine week run at the top. it's also been named the number one all-time duet song by billboard. do you remember it?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

august 29, 1987 and the twins were in first place and all was right in the minnesota baseball world. on their way to a WS title so let's take a look at this week in billboard chart history and remember the good times.

number 8 was the second song from whitney's second album that would get to the top spot. she was also the first female to have four songs from an album to get to number one with this album. seven number ones in a row from the first two albums which i'm sure is also a record.

1987 was also the year of richard marx who had four songs from his debut album make the top 3. a record he shares with houston. here's number 3 this week.

the number one song was originally released in 1958. this cover took it to greater heights though. this was the first of a three week run at number one for it. a movie soundtrack-can you remember this 1987 chart topper?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

september 6, 1981. ronald reagan is going to be elected president in about two months and the chart is full of the good, bad and ugly as they always are in the early 80's. good times going back and hearing the songs of my youth.

number 23

this song is less than a month away from a four week run at the top-but it is parked at in the 20's this week. i distinctly remember the first time i heard this and i was blown away. drinking beer from a keg at a late winter party. i think it was in march-which would make it about a half a year earlier. all of a sudden somebody put this on the turntable and it grabbed my full attention.

number 10

"urban cowboy" was a big smash and brought a mainstream hunger for the songs too. as reflected in this hit.

look who was still creating top 10 hits. the world's greatest rock and roll band. number 3 this week.

and at the top of the heap this week on it's way to a four week run. hopefully you won't turn yourself inside out trying to remember this hit.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

september 24, 1983 and we got some early 80's chart action.

at 14. some good flavor for the pop sound from the era with this one imo. so i'm going to play it.

no. 11. i always liked this police tune. so let's listen to this one too.

no. 3. they mentioned that this song was number 5 in the 10 worst songs of the decade as ranked by rolling stone. reason enough to play it here.

and no. 1 for the week. surprisingly this was only the second number one song on the u.s. hot 100 chart for this musical icon at the time. his first coming in 1980. and he only hit the top spot one more time-in 1989. but he's got plenty of other number ones in other countries and in other u.s. charts-like adult contemporary and easy listening. can you name the singer and his song?
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:19 am another 80's countdown thread. the songs this week from the top 40 list for june 29, 1985.

number 30-for Qman. one he might like. maybe not.

number 8

[youtube]https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhpu2N4rQZM[/youtube]

number 4

and number one. here are the hints: from a singer north of the border-this song was influenced by the journey song faithfully. a song he heard numerously while opening for the group. do you remember now?
Powerstation, didn't mind it at all. Remake of T-Rex classic.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

september 27, 1986 and the hits keep coming. i love the 80's. especially the first seven years. this qualifies.

so let's start with number 26. robert palmer was the epitome of mid-80's cool. here's an example.

number 5. i don't think anybody knew what the future was going to look like in pop music when this song blew up. now we do. i do know that i liked it and thought that what it really was was a chance for tyler to kick start the band's career. it did. but it was so much more than that. also adidas.

and at number one for the middle of a three week run. the second song to reach the top for this 80's band. another clue? the lead singer once sang the national anthem before a WS game. also the vid was filmed in the bahamas. does that help ring the bell for you?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

october 8, 1988-time for some more billboard chart action. i have to admit that the sound is getting staler to me these last couple of years from the big 80's-but i thought back to what kurt was working on out in washington as an answer to this music and understand that there's a rhyme and reason for everything. so no shame in posting some songs from that week's top 40 list.

a good reason to play number 20 is the heading for the 90's line. and now it's 2018. imagine that. i remember i liked the video during it's moment in time too. just press play and you might also.

number 8 was joan's third top 10 hit-but the first since 1982's "crimson and clover". deserving of a posting up in music chat just for that reason.

and pulling down the top spot is a song from one of the group's nominated for the music hall of fame this week. can you name the group and remember the song?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

some october 25, 1980 billboard chart action courtesy of casey and kool 108 this morning. here to post a few of the highlights from what was-again-one of those years that i'd certainly love to go back and relive again if i could turn back time.

number 18- very good song from paul simon.

the first week for this one in the top 10-at number 10.

the first week for this one in the top 5-at number 5.

and number one for the first of a three week run by a female artist that moved into second place all-time for the number of chart toppers in the rock era with this song at five. can you the song and/or the artist?
here's the list for the week. look at what an eclectic chart collection in the top 40. that's early 1980's pop music for you.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1980-10-25
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The 5 Doobies on the left look tight while MM and Cornelius look fractured from the others and each other as well. I smell a breakup!!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

october 23, 1982. another of those early 80's years that i consider the sweet spot for all the fun times in my life. music included.

a couple of soundtrack songs from iconic films and then the trivia on what was number one-so let's get going.

number seven from "fast times at ridgemont high.

number five from "an officer and a gentleman". a song that swept awards that year and was a huge global hit-going number one in many countries including the u.s. it had a difficult beginning to it's ultimate mega success-but all's well that end's well with this one for sure.
Spoiler:
There were many temporary setbacks in making the record. The budget for the film did not allow for a new song to be written and produced. The film's director didn't think Warnes had the kind of voice he wanted until she recommended that she sing a duet with Cocker, and the song's producer had to practically drag Cocker into the studio to get him to record it. When the studio executives heard the finished product, they hated it and tried getting another song made in time to promote the film.

by the way i did not see either of these films that year. i was too busy having fun for movies back then. lots of fun. did see them both later though. and not that much later.

and number one for the fourth of four weeks was the biggest hit from this rocker's biggest album. think 1982 and i think you can get this one.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

november 7, 1981. another year in the sweet spot in the "love the 80's" period for yours truly. away at college and loving it. here's some songs from the top 10 to help with my memory. maybe yours too.

number 10 from foreigner 4. songs were being played out the dorm windows from this album all fall.

number 5 from detroit's own bob seger. another mainstay of the early 80's sound. this one was an old memphis song-an old memphis song.

number 2 was another song blaring out the windows that fall. it still holds up great today. just press play and take a listen.

and number one for the first of two weeks was the title track from this iconic 80's duo. if you know your 80's pop music this should be a pretty easy one to get right.
did you?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

some chart action from november 26, 1983. can you dig it?

at number 22 and moving up is one from the police's final studio album. this band went out on top with that release and they were known as "the biggest band in the world" while songs from it were dominating the charts. let's queue this one up.

at number 4 a couple weeks removed from it's stay at the top is this kenny rogers-dolly parton duo song that was a monster world-wide hit. written by barry gibb-it was originally supposed to be one for marvin gaye-but it got the countrified treatment with this power country duo and i'm sure barry gibb was just fine with that. the title is from an ernest hemingway book. and i'm putting it in here this week because i just finished rogers's memoir. :mrgreen:

and holding the top spot for the third of a five week run is a song from a writer that wrote another monster hit for rogers in the early 80's-and they became very good friends after the song put plenty of coin in their collective pockets. can you remember the singer-songwriter and the song?
i think mark says it best in the comments section of the rogers-parton song.

Mark Swanson
2 years ago
I feel sorry for people who never got to experience the 80's. :coolio: