Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Bob's favorite 80's stuff

Music forum.
Qman65

Re: Bob's favorite 80's stuff

Post by Qman65 »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:59 pm some chart action from november 26, 1983. can you dig it?

at number 22 and moving up is one from the police's final studio album. this band went out on top with that release and they were known as "the biggest band in the world" while songs from it were dominating the charts. let's queue this one up.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

at number 4 a couple weeks removed from it's stay at the top is this kenny rogers-dolly parton duo song that was a monster world-wide hit. written by barry gibb-it was originally supposed to be one for marvin gaye-but it got the countrified treatment with this power country duo and i'm sure barry gibb was just fine with that. the title is from an ernest hemingway book. and i'm putting it in here this week because i just finished rogers's memoir. :mrgreen:

and holding the top spot for the third of a five week run is a song from a writer that wrote another monster hit for rogers in the early 80's-and they became very good friends after the song put plenty of coin in their collective pockets. can you remember the singer-songwriter and the song?
i think mark says it best in the comments section of the rogers-parton song.

Mark Swanson
2 years ago
I feel sorry for people who never got to experience the 80's. :coolio:
After Invisible Sun this my second favorite Police song.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a december 6, 1986 countdown show this week-and even though i am biased to the first half of the decade i have to admit that the charts were filled with plenty of pop numbers that i certainly enjoyed in real time. MTV had to be close to it's zenith right here as that's what i associate these songs with. that and the good times. as an aside though-boston had a number one song that year with "amanda" and they never made a video for it. that's a rare bird for 80's number ones. something they pulled out from an 84 session i think the announcer said. anyways, with that let's get to the countdown.

at number 30 and on it's way up the charts is this one hit wonder. time to give it some airtime in music chat.

some robbie nevil at 17 with a bullet.

followed up by the pretenders at 16. the middle of the chart action was sounding good to the 2018 ear. i could have gone with 18 too-but this will be the third song from the countdown.

time to get into the top 5. i'll go with number 4-because it was a real good statement song in the mid 80's. btw, bruce played with the grateful dead later in the decade all the way up to jerry's death. the stat sheet says over 100 times.

a little disappointment at number one this week after listening to all the other good songs in the countdown. it was there for just one week before hornsby shot up the next week to grab the top spot. it was from a duo that was put together to do the song. one came from the gospel field and the other was a former member of an iconic 70's and 80's group. there should be enough in the clues to jog the memories of those that lived the 80's-and maybe even some that weren't really there. do you remember?
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

some chart numbers from december 17, 1988. i'm not a big fan of the late 80's pop music compared to the earlier years-but last week's 86 chart action was a good listen-especially the last half. this week in '88 it was kind of a meh-but the top 10 had some songs worth posting imo.

number 9 is an all-timer and is always worth listening to imo. so that's just what i think you should do. just press play.

number two is a ballad that i remember enjoying in real time too. it got to number one the next week.

and number one for the second week in a row is this song by an iconic band that started up in 1967. it was their biggest selling single ever. can you name the group and/or the song?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

january 10, 1981. the number one song in the middle of a three week run. tragic circumstance a little over a month before wasbehind it's trajectory. do you remember? of course you do-but do you remember before opening the spoiler?
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

shatminster fuller

Post by shatminster fuller »

weimy froob wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:20 am Image
God, MTV was great when it first came out.
Salut les Terriens!
La culture domine tout, elle est la condition sine qua non de notre civilisation…
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

siriusxm is playing the top 100 songs of every year of the decade based on the billboard charts. they'll be finishing up 1989 at about six tonight and i assume they'll roll right into 1980 and play thru the decade again until sometime on new year's. i just found out about this last night when i wanted to listen to a countdown show. 1986 was playing. takes about 7.5 to 8 hours to get thru a year.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

yep. it's playing. charlie daniels "in america" at 96 1980.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

winding down the 1982 show. i'm a sucker for these countdown shows-and the 80's were big. that's why they call it the big 1000 countdown. in other words i'm getting my money's worth out of siriusxm since i found out this was a thing on sunday.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

number 16 for 1982 is "867-5309". i remember the first time i heard that one-on a bus going down to daytona beach for spring break. this is why i listen. takes me back to my youth. and some real good times.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

really enjoying 1983. music makes me forget that the country was digging it's way out of a recessional hole and i really didn't have much dough in my pockets. a kegger glass was only a couple bucks and i think you could get a pack of cigarettes for under a buck.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

you really see the mtv influence on the chart action in 1983. stray cat strut clocks in at 43 for the year. and that was on a re-release after they got some play for another song on mtv. mtv had it in steady rotation and voila! it's a big hit on it's second bite at the apple.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

1999 comes in at #42. talk about a song title feeling dated. felt way out there in 1983 though.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the u.s. banned all smoking on public transportation in 1986. i wouldn't have known that if i hadn't tuned in to the decade countdown show on the 80's on 8 channel. and neither would any of you. :coolio:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i just finished the top 500 songs from the decade according to billboard. first of all the songs to make the top 500 are all "big" pop hits. number 500 playing right now is "fame" by irene cara from 1980. but i was curious to see where the biggest of the biggest songs came from year-wise. i figured it would be from the early part of the decade from my own memory-and i was pretty sure that i knew what the number one song was-but the top three songs of the decade all came from the same year. 1981. and song number four was from 1982. pretty much all before MTV changed the music scene.

the 80's was the decade for me. financially things were better in the 90's and beyond-but the fun living on a decade basis was definitely from the big 80's. fun to go down memory lane with this countdown show.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:25 pm i just finished the top 500 songs from the decade according to billboard. first of all the songs to make the top 500 are all "big" pop hits. number 500 playing right now is "fame" by irene cara from 1980. but i was curious to see where the biggest of the biggest songs came from year-wise. i figured it would be from the early part of the decade from my own memory-and i was pretty sure that i knew what the number one song was-but the top three songs of the decade all came from the same year. 1981. and song number four was from 1982. pretty much all before MTV changed the music scene.

the 80's was the decade for me. financially things were better in the 90's and beyond-but the fun living on a decade basis was definitely from the big 80's. fun to go down memory lane with this countdown show.
It must really suck you know nothing about music.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

We were cruising along just fine until one bad apple cop ruined it.
This is how it used to be until not long ago and I think this song was recorded in Minneapolis like 35 years ago, maybe not.

Sky Spy in the Sky !
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »