Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Most influential Minnesotan Musician?

Music forum.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Re: Most influential Minnesotan Musician?

Post by Night Train »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:45 pm Probably Prince, but also, maybe Dylan. Probably Dylan though. But it could be Prince.

How about next time the OP doesn't ask such an easy and stupid question?
No one's forcing you to reply dumbass.

It's just a talker, don't over analyze it.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Night Train wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:36 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:45 pm Probably Prince, but also, maybe Dylan. Probably Dylan though. But it could be Prince.

yowzer, you couldn't tell that was a sarcastic comment?
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:38 am

Well gee, I guess my response was sarcastic too. Couldn't you tell?

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Night Train wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:43 am

His clearly was, yours clearly wasn't. HTH :mrgreen:
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:15 am

Still don't see the sarcasm. The line about asking an easy and stupid question seems more mean than sarcastic.

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Night Train wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:08 am
Slap Shot wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:15 am

Still don't see the sarcasm. The line about asking an easy and stupid question seems more mean than sarcastic.
Calling it a stupid and easy question after I changed my mind on it 4 times...
Bon Scott

Post by Bon Scott »

Slave Raider
Trump will forever be known as Potus who was so full of shit that country ran out of Toilet Paper.
Bon Scott

Post by Bon Scott »

Hericane Alice
Trump will forever be known as Potus who was so full of shit that country ran out of Toilet Paper.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

I stumbled across all sorts of MN artists on the Spotify last night.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

Whoopee John and DOn Shelby
Blandon

Post by Blandon »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:59 pm
Blandon wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:18 pm Not sure how INFLUENTIAL Prince was.
https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/14- ... nce-767323
:bow:
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

I've been contemplating the top two obvious answers since this thread was created.

I've concluded that although I have that I think the talent and pure will to be great falls to Prince, Dylan had the greatest influence. His influence was picked up and made tangible by his fans in the 1960's.

Maybe that's being in the right place at the right time, but he did what he was capable of and subsequently didn't shy away from the role when it resonated.

I can't quantify using an art to protest the government of a country you love sending 20,000+ of it's young men to their graves. It embodies our sacred right to protest and Prince didn't have that level of impactful influence, at least not outside his industry.
Lampin'
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

just finished this. the guy was lots of things-and prolific was one of them. i was really surprised to find out that he has released more studio albums than dylan. 40 according to the author. i see that the discography has it at 39 which would tie him with bob. either/or he came out with more per year for sure. bob's got him on the compilation and live albums. still very impressive numbers there for the purple one. he's close.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

btw - I am not going to ever try to compare the scale of influence from Bob Mould and Paul Westerbererg to that of Prince nor Dylan, but after watching the Replacements tribute film Color Me Obsessed, which led to watching Every Everything: The Music, Life & Times of Grant Hart and a few others, it's amazing the amount of credit many of the most influential alternative bands of the 80's and 90's give to both The Replacements/Paul Westerberg and Husker Du/Bob Mould.

Additionally that relatively during that same time the Twin Cities had bands such as The Suburbs, Soul Asylum, Suicide Commandos, The Wallets, Flaming O's and before Prince and The Time totally blew up the bar scene for musical talent back then was ridiculous. And at the age I was I also got to see acts up close such as The Cure, REM, The Church, Love & Rockets, etc. before some of them blew up.

Good times.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:08 am btw - I am not going to ever try to compare the scale of influence from Bob Mould and Paul Westerbererg to that of Prince nor Dylan, but after watching the Replacements tribute film Color Me Obsessed, which led to watching Every Everything: The Music, Life & Times of Grant Hart and a few others, it's amazing the amount of credit many of the most influential alternative bands of the 80's and 90's give to both The Replacements/Paul Westerberg and Husker Du/Bob Mould.

Additionally that relatively during that same time the Twin Cities had bands such as The Suburbs, Soul Asylum, Suicide Commandos, The Wallets, Flaming O's and before Prince and The Time totally blew up the bar scene for musical talent back then was ridiculous. And at the age I was I also got to see acts up close such as The Cure, REM, The Church, Love & Rockets, etc. before some of them blew up.

Good times.
I've never been a big Soul Asylum fan, but it's pretty cool to see the love and influence that they get in the industry. Especially from multiple styles of music. Maynard James Keenan talked about his friendship with them, in his book, and that's a combo that I never would've given much thought to, given the musical style differences.

It's always cool to hear about those kind of friendships in music.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

cmd24 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:30 am
Slap Shot wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:08 am btw - I am not going to ever try to compare the scale of influence from Bob Mould and Paul Westerbererg to that of Prince nor Dylan, but after watching the Replacements tribute film Color Me Obsessed, which led to watching Every Everything: The Music, Life & Times of Grant Hart and a few others, it's amazing the amount of credit many of the most influential alternative bands of the 80's and 90's give to both The Replacements/Paul Westerberg and Husker Du/Bob Mould.

Good times.
I've never been a big Soul Asylum fan, but it's pretty cool to see the love and influence that they get in the industry. Especially from multiple styles of music. Maynard James Keenan talked about his friendship with them, in his book, and that's a combo that I never would've given much thought to, given the musical style differences.

Agreed. I mean Dave Grohl will tell you his influences include Husker Du, the Germs and The Beatles (especially Ringo) of all bands. Hearing about those connections, kinships and mutual respect is quite enjoyable.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:40 pm
cmd24 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:30 am

Good times.

Agreed. I mean Dave Grohl will tell you his influences include Husker Du, the Germs and The Beatles (especially Ringo) of all bands. Hearing about those connections, kinships and mutual respect is quite enjoyable.
Jack White, Jimmy Page, and The Edge doc was pretty cool, because of that. Different styles, but respect for the talent that each has. And I hate U2, but still enjoyed the parts of that doc I saw.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Good times.
Cool.

It’s pretty freaking cool that we can’t decide who is more influential.

Minnesota is one hell of a music state.

(Saw Bob Mould last year and he was so, so good—absolutely on fire on guitar.)

Also, checkout the tpt doc on Minnesota hardcore. It’s free online.
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

I'm going to go with Chris Hawkey.
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Opinion only just posting because. Not sure if the rest of the list and whether or not Dylan has already been named.

https://www.spin.com/2020/12/the-most-i ... ce/?amp=1

The Most Influential Artists: #2 Prince
Prince Rogers Nelson’s kingdom was a soulful, revolutionary world without boundaries. His lust for sex and sultry guitar licks birthed a sound that has traveled long past his personal expiration date. Every step of the Purple One’s career is worthy of its own book, even though no one could possibly tell his story with the kind of flair that he could.

Garnering many aliases over his lifetime, Prince developed into pop’s most enigmatic figure. He emerged unassumingly in 1978 as a perverse, funky virtuoso writing straight from the loins and playing every instrument. Early singles like “Soft and Wet” and “I Wanna Be Your Lover” kicked off a run of classic baby-making music that set the stage for future rebirths — taking sounds of the time and bending them to his will.
If any decade could be considered his “classic” period, it was the ‘80s, the apex of his critical and commercial success. This iconic streak began with 1980’s Dirty Mind and continued through Controversy, 1999, Purple Rain — the list goes on. The songs he gave to other artists, like “Manic Monday” for The Bangles, became instant hits. He mastered the art of looking forward while honoring legends of the past, penning tunes for Miles Davis (exemplified on the electrified jazz/funk bop “Can I Play With U” on 1987’s Sign O’ the Times). Even a faithful cover had the power to go platinum, evidenced by Sinead O’Connor’s somber rendition of “Nothing Compares 2 U.” And as “Bat Dance” from the original Batman album can attest, his reign even extended into the soundtrack realm.
Somehow his second act was even more salacious: In 1991, he brought his version of a “Moon Man” to the MTV Music Awards, performing “Gett Off” in his infamous assless leopard pants. By this point, Prince had already left behind the Revolution, his scorching backing band, and started another: the New Power Generation. Despite the shift, Prince continued to churn out anthems like “Diamonds and Pearls,” “7” and “The Most Beautiful Girl in the World” — further widening his palette of soul.
Though it’s a little too long-winded to make a list of superstars influenced by His Royal Badness, artists like D’Angelo, Justin Timberlake, Janelle Monae, Frank Ocean and the Weeknd wouldn’t be the same without his existence.

Prince’s death in 2016 created a chasm that no one can fill — only now, in his absence, is the world closer to comprehending his once-in-a-lifetime artistry. With a reported 15,000 unreleased songs and snippets in his vault [that are only now trickling onto posthumous releases], Prince was always creating. We often laud artists who define a generation, but Prince’s legacy was defying definition.
Last edited by Slap Shot on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Bob Dylan Sells His Songwriting Catalog in Blockbuster Deal
Universal Music purchased his entire songwriting catalog of more than 600 songs in what may be the biggest acquisition ever of a single act’s publishing rights.

Bob Dylan’s memoir “Chronicles: Volume One” opens in 1962 with the signing of his first music publishing deal — a contract for the copyrights of the budding songwriter’s work. The terms of that agreement, brokered by Lou Levy of Leeds Music Publishing, met young Dylan’s approval.

“Lou had advanced me a hundred dollars against future royalties to sign the paper,” he wrote, “and that was fine with me.”

Fifty-eight years, more than 600 songs and one Nobel Prize later, the cultural and economic value of Dylan’s songwriting corpus have both grown exponentially.

On Monday, the Universal Music Publishing Group announced that it had signed a landmark deal to purchase Dylan’s entire songwriting catalog — including world-changing classics like “Blowin’ in the Wind,” “The Times They Are A-Changin’” and “Like a Rolling Stone” — in what may be the biggest acquisition ever of the music publishing rights of a single act.

The deal, which covers Dylan’s entire career, from his earliest songs to the tunes on his latest album, “Rough and Rowdy Ways,” was struck directly with Dylan, 79, who has long controlled the majority of his own songwriting copyrights.

The price was not disclosed, but is estimated at more than $300 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/arts ... shing.html
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Dylan. Period.
In Kwesi we trust.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Not posting this tidbit as an attempt to swaw the argument just only as something that's pretty fucking cool - Prince once did 21-straight shows at the LA Forum. That's amazing.

And watch the m'effer jam:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

For lack of a better thread - some serious headliners that month if you're old enough and were into that scene. The Time, Richard Thompson, X (with The Replacements opening), Ray Charles, Robert Cray, Urban Guerillas and The Wallets. No The Suburbs though! :punch: :lol:

Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Dave Ellefson of Megadeth!
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Bon Scott

Post by Bon Scott »

Last edited by Bon Scott on Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laX

Post by laX »

stifler
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

Whoopee John's influence is vast
Chet Manly

Post by Chet Manly »