Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Nick Cave

Music forum.
Angry Waters

Nick Cave

Post by Angry Waters »

I figured this man needs his own thread. And, with all the concerts in the near-future, I didn't want to jam that thread anymore with Cave posts. Anyways, I got through about half of Beef's initial suggestions. And I did listen to most of the first Grinderman album. I really dig most of it. A few of the songs that I really enjoyed were "Loverman", "Where the Wild Rose Grows", and "Honey Bee".

I don't feel I need to qualify myself--it's not like I'm gonna get any "street cred" here on Rube Chat. But I do want to make it clear that I've been aware of Nick Cave for a long, long time. I guess you could say I was probably a bit too narrow-minded as a youngster. While some of my best friends were into 120 Minutes, it was Headbanger's Ball for me. So, unfortunately, I shunned a lot of pretty good music back in the day. Which I guess is alright--I was never at a loss for stuff to listen to, even if it was Appetite For Destruction on repeat. It's been pretty cool over the last several years diving into bands like The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Nick Cave, etc... I don't ever expect this 'alt' genre (or any genre) to usurp the rock and metal staples of my diet. But, there's definitely a place for them at the table.
Beef Supreme

Re: Nick Cave

Post by Beef Supreme »

Enjoy your dive. He’s a very interesting artist. He’s got enough stuff that while I consider myself a fan, I don’t like everything he’s done. I had a similar music appreciation arc as you. Nick Cave is absolutely non-heavy music for people who like heavy music.

He’s got a real mastery of language and chooses his lyrics carefully. He’s got a certain richness to his voice, but I wouldn’t confuse him with a great singer. Really, just creative and unique. There aren’t a lot of artists like him.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I find it interesting that he is that big internationally. He's seems like the type of Australian artist that would be well known here, but not elsewhere.

You guys wouldn't know Tex Perkins for example?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

LordNu wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:47 pm I find it interesting that he is that big internationally. He's seems like the type of Australian artist that would be well known here, but not elsewhere.

Isn’t he that fat guy that flies am x-wing in Star Wars?

- Carl Jung
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:47 pm
LordNu wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:47 pm I find it interesting that he is that big internationally. He's seems like the type of Australian artist that would be well known here, but not elsewhere.

err, no.

He's actually a really cool musician.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

LordNu wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:35 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:47 pm

err, no.

He's actually a really cool musician.
Maybe x-winging is his side gig?

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

“I want you to dig!”

- Carl Jung
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:20 pm “I want you to dig!”
Beef,
I believe you're kinda/sorta a Pantera fan. Anyways, check out Anselmo's new project "En Minor". It has a very 'Nick Cave' feel to it. I think you'll enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mddXDgQXMbo
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Angry Waters wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:50 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:20 pm “I want you to dig!”
Beef,
I believe you're kinda/sorta a Pantera fan. Anyways, check out Anselmo's new project "En Minor". It has a very 'Nick Cave' feel to it. I think you'll enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mddXDgQXMbo
I will later. Busy morning!

GWAR has a song called “Overture in N Minor.”

Nice to see phil paying homage to the greats.

- Carl Jung
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

I'm a big fan, have been ever since my brother got me tickets to see him years ago when he was at the State theater. There's not a day that goes by that I don't listen to a few Nick Cave songs.

Some of his gems, and for sure I'm leaving many out:

15 Feet of Pure White Snow (RIP JackCoke)
Red Right Hand
City of Refuge
Midnight Man
Let Love In
O' Children
Deanna
Dig Lazerus Dig
Thirsty Dog
Mercy Seat
Get Ready for Love
Stagger Lee
Albert Goes West
Let the Bells Ring
Do you Love Me
I Had a Dream Joe
Supernaturally
There she goes my beautiful world

HoneyBee (Let's Fly to Mars) - with Grinderman
Palaces of Montezuma (Grinderman)
No Pussy Blues

You know what... just listen to "Henry's Dream", "Let Love In", "Dig Lazerus Dig", "Tender Prey"...
Last edited by Night Train on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Oh, and if anyone is interested, there's a 24 hour Nick Cave channel on youtube called 'Bad Seed TeeVee'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbWdmZ7hXY4

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

I enjoyed his turn as Freak Storm in the early Brad Pitt classic, "Johnny Suede".
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:26 pm Enjoy your dive. He’s a very interesting artist. He’s got enough stuff that while I consider myself a fan, I don’t like everything he’s done. I had a similar music appreciation arc as you. Nick Cave is absolutely non-heavy music for people who like heavy music.

He’s got a real mastery of language and chooses his lyrics carefully. He’s got a certain richness to his voice, but I wouldn’t confuse him with a great singer. Really, just creative and unique. There aren’t a lot of artists like him.
Exactly.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:29 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:26 pm Enjoy your dive. He’s a very interesting artist. He’s got enough stuff that while I consider myself a fan, I don’t like everything he’s done. I had a similar music appreciation arc as you. Nick Cave is absolutely non-heavy music for people who like heavy music.

Exactly.
To double-down on my lyrics take, he may be the best lyricist since Dylan. I think he's fantastic. "Higgs Boson Blues," "As I Sat Sadly By Her Side," "Hallelujah," "The Mercy Seat," "Your Funeral, My Trial," "DIg, Lazarus, Dig!" "The Lyre of Orpheus," "God is in the House," "Black Crow King..." Just fantastic stuff.

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Today was supposed to be the concert.

- Carl Jung
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:13 pm Today was supposed to be the concert.
I have my ticket on the refrigerator.