Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Megadeth "Symphony of Destruction"

Music forum.
Hummdrum

Megadeth "Symphony of Destruction"

Post by Hummdrum »

Dave Mustaine. I always liked this song. They would play it on MTV Headbangers ball.
Some of the political social statements still hold true and it's a good song. The volume isn't very high so crank it all up, otherwise a bit quiet.
It came out before the 1992 LA riots.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Beef Supreme

Re: Megadeth "Symphony of Destruction"

Post by Beef Supreme »

It’s not one of megadeth’s best songs.

This album was their answer to Metallica’s black album and “Symphony” was their “Enter Sandman.”

The best song on this album is “Ashes in Your Mouth.”

Not a fan of the production on this record. Too antiseptic. Too clean.

Megadeth had a ton better songs and albums before and after this.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Megadeath was in their prime when I was just a baby so therefore am not a huge fan, but I do like this song. Probably their best as far as I'm concerned.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:15 pm Megadeath was in their prime when I was just a baby so therefore am not a huge fan, but I do like this song. Probably their best as far as I'm concerned.
I suggest you check out “Rust in Peace.” Imho, it is a far superior album.

- Isaac Asimov
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

Great song, as is Sweating Bullets.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

[quote=Hummdrum post_id=1021099 time=1582579181 user_id=297]
Dave Mustaine. I always liked this song. They would play it on MTV Headbangers ball.
Some of the political social statements still hold true and it's a good song. The volume isn't very high so crank it all up, otherwise a bit quiet.
It came out before the 1992 LA .

"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:55 pm It’s not one of megadeth’s best songs.

This album was their answer to Metallica’s black album and “Symphony” was their “Enter Sandman.”

The best song on this album is “Ashes in Your Mouth.”

Not a fan of the production on this record. Too antiseptic. Too clean.

Megadeth had a ton better songs and albums before and after this.
The lowish midrange sounds is weak in the mixing it makes it have this very hollow feel to a lot of the songs. It doesnt carry the weight it should
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

https://youtu.be/yeaeqIpopvI

On phone but, High Speed Dirt, now were talking. Fuck slowed down Megadeth. I came for thrash metal.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

https://youtu.be/Pok6dO4J6dg

Poison Was the Cure. The Psycho Friedman, dude. Man. Unreal.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

https://youtu.be/YVdBcOeet-s

Take No Prisoners rules. Yeah. Rust in Peace is one of the greatest metal albums of all time. And I would say the best Thrash album ever recorded. This is the pinnacle.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

YBBR wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:49 am https://youtu.be/yeaeqIpopvI

On phone but, High Speed Dirt, now were talking. Fuck slowed down Megadeth. I came for thrash metal.

I got you, dude.

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I will listen to Megadeth on occasion, enjoy it mostly but i could never get into them. They seemed a bit too silly for my metal tastes.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:46 pm I will listen to Megadeth on occasion, enjoy it mostly but i could never get into them. They seemed a bit too silly for my metal tastes.
I think I just really like that they rip shit and were very technical but just rocked really hard and fast. Like this board has a lot of reverence for the grunge/hard rock era of the early 90's, I personally have that for some of the metal of the late 80's/early 90's.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

I've always been drawn to the anti-Metallica thing with them.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Lightning wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:04 pm I've always been drawn to the anti-Metallica thing with them.
Haha. Same. Dave's riffs I always thought were really good.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Lightning wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:42 pm
YBBR wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:49 am https://youtu.be/yeaeqIpopvI

I got you, dude.
:beer:
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I get the backlash against Metallica but I don't see how in any way, anyone could like Megadeth more. That's like saying White Lion is better than Van Halen. I know, I know, personal taste, just can't wrap my head around it.
IHW

Post by IHW »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:35 pm I get the backlash against Metallica but I don't see how in any way, anyone could like Megadeth more. That's like saying White Lion is better than Van Halen. I know, I know, personal taste, just can't wrap my head around it.
Megadeth is better in every way. I can understand some that don't like Dave's voice, but I think it fits their style perfectly.

Metallica died in 1991. Dave had heavy influence on Kill em All and Ride the Lightning with Metallica even having to give him writing credits that I'm sure they didn't want.to do. After that Cliff heavily influenced Master Of Puppets and Justice even though he did in 86. They ran through all their ideas they could steal from Cliff and Dave and that was a wrap for Metallica. They go get with Bob Rock and well I don't need to explain more. It's all there for you to listen to. Complete Garbage.

Megadeth did have a few questionable almbust like Risk and Super Collider, but pretty much have stayed true after that.

Dave has superior riffs in every way. James could barely play guitar when they formed Metallica and learned tons from Dave. Kinda why KIA and RTL sound awfully familiar to early Megadeth.

Shit Dave said he wrote and was never disputed that he wrote the main riff for Leper Messiah they released in 86 3 years after he was booted. Fuck Metallica. First four albums are great but they piggybacked off other shit for that sound and made it theirs..mainly speaking of Lars and James. Fuck them. This was over 30 years ago now. Haven't done anything memorable since. Megadeth has.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

IHW wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:08 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:35 pm I get the backlash against Metallica but I don't see how in any way, anyone could like Megadeth more. That's like saying White Lion is better than Van Halen. I know, I know, personal taste, just can't wrap my head around it.
Megadeth is better in every way. I can understand some that don't like Dave's voice, but I think it fits their style perfectly.

Metallica died in 1991. Dave had heavy influence on Kill em All and Ride the Lightning with Metallica even having to give him writing credits that I'm sure they didn't want.to do. After that Cliff heavily influenced Master Of Puppets and Justice even though he did in 86. They ran through all their ideas they could steal from Cliff and Dave and that was a wrap for Metallica. They go get with Bob Rock and well I don't need to explain more. It's all there for you to listen to. Complete Garbage.

Megadeth did have a few questionable almbust like Risk and Super Collider, but pretty much have stayed true after that.

Dave has superior riffs in every way. James could barely play guitar when they formed Metallica and learned tons from Dave. Kinda why KIA and RTL sound awfully familiar to early Megadeth.

Shit Dave said he wrote and was never disputed that he wrote the main riff for Leper Messiah they released in 86 3 years after he was booted. Fuck Metallica. First four albums are great but they piggybacked off other shit for that sound and made it theirs..mainly speaking of Lars and James. Fuck them. This was over 30 years ago now. Haven't done anything memorable since. Megadeth has.
I disagree on almost every point. i find many of the riffs forgettable and sloppy. Dave wrote 2 metallica songs, co-wrote 4. Megadeth has nothing as important as RTL, Master and AJF.

Sales, popularity, impact, songs, Metallica was just better in every way. Megadeth superfans seem to have a weird small mans complex when it comes to metallica. I guess it might be more the thrash style I dislike. I like groove metal like Pantera compared to thrash or something more technical like Meshuggah. I think Metallica falls more into the groove than thrash.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

If Kirk Hammett was even 1/2 a Vito Bratta I might not be so underwhelmed by him :)

I don't see this as a "who's better" or "I like them more" between the two bands. I have my go to songs for each of them.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Lightning wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:04 pm I've always been drawn to the anti-Metallica thing with them.
Many of their best songs (“In My Darkest Hour,” “Tornado of Souls,” etc.) can be read as about his dismissal from Metallica. He denies it and who knows if it’s true, but it’s fun to interpret them that way.

- Isaac Asimov
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:51 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:15 pm Megadeath was in their prime when I was just a baby so therefore am not a huge fan, but I do like this song. Probably their best as far as I'm concerned.
Rust in Peace is Dave and company's masterpiece.
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Lightning wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:39 pm
If Kirk Hammett was even 1/2 a Vito Bratta I might not be so underwhelmed by him :)

I don't see this as a "who's better" or "I like them more" between the two bands. I have my go to songs for each of them.
Vito Bratta is criminally underrated.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Cooper wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:50 pm
https://entertainment.theonion.com/huma ... 1819578062

HUMANITY STILL PRODUCING ART AS THOUGH MEGADETH’S “RUST IN PEACE” DOESN’T ALREADY EXIST

WASHINGTON—Saying that any further endeavors of technical skill and imagination were pointless, experts at the Smithsonian Institution reportedly questioned Monday why new art was still being produced after the pinnacle of aesthetic and creative potential was reached in 1990 with Megadeth’s fourth studio album, Rust In Peace.

“As the unquestioned apex of the entire history of the creative arts, Rust In Peace is the finest and last necessary piece of human expression—but it’s almost as though current so-called artists are completely oblivious to Dave Mustaine’s blistering, transcendent guitar work on ‘Hangar 18,’” said Smithsonian curator of contemporary art Joanna Marsh, gesturing dismissively in the direction of a massive self-portrait by photorealist Chuck Close, completed in 2000. “It’s not just incredibly disrespectful to keep making art; in many ways, it’s actually quite sad. The deluded people churning out this worthless garbage just can’t seem to reconcile themselves to the fact that their pathetic little sculptures and films and novels and whatnot will always pale in comparison to the brilliantly inspired, heart-stopping tempo shift halfway through ‘Holy Wars… The Punishment Due.’”

At press time, a spokesperson from the Centre Pompidou in Paris confirmed the museum’s plans to throw out the contents of an entire wing and leave a massive, pure white space where the track “Lucretia” will be played on loop at full volume.

- Isaac Asimov
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Vito is a beast, literally the only guy that was Eddie 2.0 in terms of phrasing, tone and just playing damn awesome.

Kirk Hammett is the most overrated guitarist in history. Idiots like Rolling Stone put him at something like #7 in rock history and he literally writes no songs or riffs. He just steps on a wah and plays a couple notes. People that even bring him up, just look at them and say, "You have no idea what you are talking about obviously, go away."
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:59 pm

Vito is a beast, literally the only guy that was Eddie 2.0 in terms of phrasing, tone and just playing damn awesome.

Kirk Hammett is the most overrated guitarist in history. Idiots like Rolling Stone put him at something like #7 in rock history and he literally writes no songs or riffs. He just steps on a wah and plays a couple notes. People that even bring him up, just look at them and say, "You have no idea what you are talking about obviously, go away."
I would never consider him a virtuoso, but I think his style meshes well with James in metallica and that’s really what it’s all about. James rhythms are so strong and powerful, that Kirk’s style slides over them. I think a guy like The Psycho Friedman would make metallica sound too precise and not earthy and muscular like they do.

My $0.02. Not a great guitarist, but a great fit. Also, personality with two massive egos like James and Lars has to come into play as well. He’s the right guy for the job.

FWIW, he wrote the bad-ass breakdown (“die, by my hand”) in “Creeping Death” and his solos on Puppets and Unforgiven are very good. He has a fair number of Metallica songwriting credits. None on the first album, obviously and he famously lost his phone that had all his riffs on it for the recording of “Hardwired,” so he has no credits on that record, but he has credits on “Disposable Heroes,” “Eye of the Beholder, ”Fade to Black,” “Master of Puppets,” “Orion,” and “Welcome Home (Sanitarium),” to name just a few classics.
Last edited by Beef Supreme on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Isaac Asimov
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:54 pm
Cooper wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:50 pm
https://entertainment.theonion.com/huma ... 1819578062

HUMANITY STILL PRODUCING ART AS THOUGH MEGADETH’S “RUST IN PEACE” DOESN’T ALREADY EXIST

WASHINGTON—Saying that any further endeavors of technical skill and imagination were pointless, experts at the Smithsonian Institution reportedly questioned Monday why new art was still being produced after the pinnacle of aesthetic and creative potential was reached in 1990 with Megadeth’s fourth studio album, Rust In Peace.

“As the unquestioned apex of the entire history of the creative arts, Rust In Peace is the finest and last necessary piece of human expression—but it’s almost as though current so-called artists are completely oblivious to Dave Mustaine’s blistering, transcendent guitar work on ‘Hangar 18,’” said Smithsonian curator of contemporary art Joanna Marsh, gesturing dismissively in the direction of a massive self-portrait by photorealist Chuck Close, completed in 2000. “It’s not just incredibly disrespectful to keep making art; in many ways, it’s actually quite sad. The deluded people churning out this worthless garbage just can’t seem to reconcile themselves to the fact that their pathetic little sculptures and films and novels and whatnot will always pale in comparison to the brilliantly inspired, heart-stopping tempo shift halfway through ‘Holy Wars… The Punishment Due.’”

At press time, a spokesperson from the Centre Pompidou in Paris confirmed the museum’s plans to throw out the contents of an entire wing and leave a massive, pure white space where the track “Lucretia” will be played on loop at full volume.
:lol:
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:04 pm

I would never consider him a virtuoso, but I think his style meshes well with James in metallica and that’s really what it’s all about. James rhythms are so strong and powerful, that Kirk’s style slides over them. I think a guy like The Psycho Friedman would make metallica sound too precise and not earthy and muscular like they do.

My $0.02. Not a great guitarist, but a great fit. Also, personality with two massive egos like James and Lars has to come into play as well. He’s the right guy for the job.
He's a "yes man" more or less.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Someone split an EVH atom and got a Vito Bratta and a Nuno Bettencourt out of it.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:04 pm

Agreed. Good points all around. Kirk's not my favorite but I enjoy his laid back demeanor as opposed to many of the rest of the band. Feels like by far the easiest guy to have a beer with of the bunch.