Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Megadeth "Symphony of Destruction"

Music forum.
Cooper

Re: Megadeth "Symphony of Destruction"

Post by Cooper »

Lightning wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:11 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:59 pm
Lightning wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:39 pm

If Kirk Hammett was even 1/2 a Vito Bratta I might not be so underwhelmed by him :)

I don't see this as a "who's better" or "I like them more" between the two bands. I have my go to songs for each of them.
Vito is a beast, literally the only guy that was Eddie 2.0 in terms of phrasing, tone and just playing damn awesome.

Kirk Hammett is the most overrated guitarist in history. Idiots like Rolling Stone put him at something like #7 in rock history and he literally writes no songs or riffs. He just steps on a wah and plays a couple notes. People that even bring him up, just look at them and say, "You have no idea what you are talking about obviously, go away."
Someone split an EVH atom and got a Vito Bratta and a Nuno Bettencourt out of it.
Sounds legit.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

YBBR wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:14 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:04 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:59 pm

Vito is a beast, literally the only guy that was Eddie 2.0 in terms of phrasing, tone and just playing damn awesome.

Kirk Hammett is the most overrated guitarist in history. Idiots like Rolling Stone put him at something like #7 in rock history and he literally writes no songs or riffs. He just steps on a wah and plays a couple notes. People that even bring him up, just look at them and say, "You have no idea what you are talking about obviously, go away."
I would never consider him a virtuoso, but I think his style meshes well with James in metallica and that’s really what it’s all about. James rhythms are so strong and powerful, that Kirk’s style slides over them. I think a guy like The Psycho Friedman would make metallica sound too precise and not earthy and muscular like they do.

My $0.02. Not a great guitarist, but a great fit. Also, personality with two massive egos like James and Lars has to come into play as well. He’s the right guy for the job.
Agreed. Good points all around. Kirk's not my favorite but I enjoy his laid back demeanor as opposed to many of the rest of the band. Feels like by far the easiest guy to have a beer with of the bunch.
Yeah, Lars is so pretentious. Hard to like.

Don’t have a beer with James. You’ll send him to rehab and piss off 10 million metallica fans.

Rob seems like a cool guy to hang out with too.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Somebody like EVH for how technical and as much of a virtuoso is he is, I figure Moses would enjoy somebody like The Psycho Friedman who is indeed just awesomely technical. Not as innovative as Eddie by any means, but man he can shred.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I never viewed eddie as technical, it's his rhythm playing that makes him a god. The Psycho is a righteous dude though, so nice and humble. But his picking hand motion makes me cringe.

I know I'm bagging on Megadeth, but I obviously like them, I listen to them. It's kind of like Ratt. I listen to them occasionally, enjoy some of their tunes but there is no love in that relationship.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm I never viewed eddie as technical, it's his rhythm playing that makes him a god. The Psycho is a righteous dude though, so nice and humble. But his picking hand motion makes me cringe.

I know I'm bagging on Megadeth, but I obviously like them, I listen to them. It's kind of like Ratt. I listen to them occasionally, enjoy some of their tunes but there is no love in that relationship.
Well Eddie made music. Hes not technical just to be technical. He just did interesting things with his playing and his instrument that no one really tried before. Thats kind of what I mean. And I'm not a big guitar guy like I know most of you are more educated in that department.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

YBBR wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:33 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm I never viewed eddie as technical, it's his rhythm playing that makes him a god. The Psycho is a righteous dude though, so nice and humble. But his picking hand motion makes me cringe.

Well Eddie made music. Hes not technical just to be technical. He just did interesting things with his playing and his instrument that no one really tried before. Thats kind of what I mean. And I'm not a big guitar guy like I know most of you are more educated in that department.
Correct, he was more like, "I want it to sound like this, how do I make it happen?" instead of, "I'm gonna shred this lydian mode!"

You have kids today that can shred the faces off most pros, but their songs... :?
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

YBBR wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:17 pm Somebody like EVH for how technical and as much of a virtuoso is he is, I figure Moses would enjoy somebody like The Psycho Friedman who is indeed just awesomely technical. Not as innovative as Eddie by any means, but man he can shred.
Eddie has some slop to his playing it's part of the package. He's also one of the most natural sounding players. It's completely effortless for him.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Holy Wars is epic. No foreplay, get right to it!
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!