Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 concert thread

Music forum.
Dude

Re: 2020 concert thread

Post by Dude »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:08 am
Dude wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:12 am
Angry Waters wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:54 pm Tool June 6th @ Target Center. Also in Sioux Falls on June 7th and Madison, Wi on the 9th of June.

My God, as far as 'A-listers' in the rock/metal world, this year's calendar is absolutely ridiculous.
Fucking. Shit.

Godddammit. I've been looking forward to a local tool show announcement since last summer's release. Wouldn't you know it, June 6th is my wife's fucking birthday. Guess what? She doesn't really give a shit about tool.

It literally could have been any other day and I'd be going. Any. Other. Day.
Madison ain’t that far, bro.
Sioux Falls is closer so I'm looking into that.

Not a deal breaker but now I'll have to get a hotel and take Monday off of work. And hope my buddies are up to it. Saturday night in Minneapolis would be so much easier.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Dude wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:15 pm
Dude wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:12 am

Fucking. Shit.

Godddammit. I've been looking forward to a local tool show announcement since last summer's release. Wouldn't you know it, June 6th is my wife's fucking birthday. Guess what? She doesn't really give a shit about tool.

It literally could have been any other day and I'd be going. Any. Other. Day.

Not a deal breaker but now I'll have to get a hotel and take Monday off of work. And hope my buddies are up to it. Saturday night in Minneapolis would be so much easier.
I don't know exactly where you're coming from. I live in 'Kato. We made it to Sioux Falls for the Slayer/Anselmo show last fall in exactly 2 hours and 5 minutes. It is literally all 4 lane highway, including interstate for the last half-hour. If you're south/west metro, you should be able to get to Sioux Falls in well under 4 hours--you can do that drive both ways without getting a hotel. And, it's a smaller arena so there's really not a terrible seat in the house. Granted, a Saturday night would probably be preferable! I guess what I'm saying is that if seeing Tool is that important, you'll be there.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Angry Waters wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:18 am
Dude wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:15 pm

I don't know exactly where you're coming from. I live in 'Kato. We made it to Sioux Falls for the Slayer/Anselmo show last fall in exactly 2 hours and 5 minutes. It is literally all 4 lane highway, including interstate for the last half-hour. If you're south/west metro, you should be able to get to Sioux Falls in well under 4 hours--you can do that drive both ways without getting a hotel. And, it's a smaller arena so there's really not a terrible seat in the house. Granted, a Saturday night would probably be preferable! I guess what I'm saying is that if seeing Tool is that important, you'll be there.
Shit, I bet that was an awesome show.

I'm in Owatonna so it's a 3 hour-ish drive for me. That's not a big deal in itself but it being on a Sunday night with a 3 hr drive is a huge difference from a Saturday night and a one hour drive when I have to work on Monday morning. It's just bad luck and I'm over it, but I'd still rather be able to make the Saturday show at TC.

Good news (not that anyone here cares), I talked to my wife and she "says" she'd be cool with it if I went to the Minneapolis show and made it up to her on Sunday.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Robert Plant May 12th Pantages Theatre
The parade of heavyweights continues! I'm gonna do my best to make this one--sadly, I've never seen Plant.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Angry Waters wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:12 pm Robert Plant May 12th Pantages Theatre
The parade of heavyweights continues! I'm gonna do my best to make this one--sadly, I've never seen Plant.
Saw him in the mid-90s with Jimmy on the Page & Plant tour. He was fantastic! Granted, that was about 25 years ago now!

Page sounded fine, but his energy was low and he was sitting down half the show.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:43 pm
Angry Waters wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:12 pm Robert Plant May 12th Pantages Theatre
Saw him in the mid-90s with Jimmy on the Page & Plant tour. He was fantastic! Granted, that was about 25 years ago now!

Page sounded fine, but his energy was low and he was sitting down half the show.
Jealous, in hindsight. We're about the same age. Sadly, I didn't have the appreciation for most of that stuff that I do now. Although I was still listening to the stuff that makes up a large portion of my current musical diet, I was also listening to a lot of BAD music during that time. I sometimes shake my head...

Since I went down this worm hole, I'll share a dirty little secret. During the mid-90s I guess I was searching for a "missing sound" so I got into lots of fad bands--Limp Bizkit, etc... It was literally the day I bought Tommy Lee's Methods of Mayhem where I had my 'Come to Jesus' moment. I put on that disc and sat with bewilderment. This was the same guy who played drums on "Shout at the Devil"? Thankfully, something didn't sit well in my stomach--and it's been better since then. Thankfully, during that same time, I still found time for the usual staples--Alice In Chains, etc...
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Angry Waters wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:24 am

Jealous, in hindsight. We're about the same age. Sadly, I didn't have the appreciation for most of that stuff that I do now. Although I was still listening to the stuff that makes up a large portion of my current musical diet, I was also listening to a lot of BAD music during that time. I sometimes shake my head...

Since I went down this worm hole, I'll share a dirty little secret. During the mid-90s I guess I was searching for a "missing sound" so I got into lots of fad bands--Limp Bizkit, etc... It was literally the day I bought Tommy Lee's Methods of Mayhem where I had my 'Come to Jesus' moment. I put on that disc and sat with bewilderment. This was the same guy who played drums on "Shout at the Devil"? Thankfully, something didn't sit well in my stomach--and it's been better since then. Thankfully, during that same time, I still found time for the usual staples--Alice In Chains, etc...
We all have our skeletons. The first lump Bizkit album was something I hadn’t heard before. I didn’t hate it immediately either. For me, it was when bands like papa roach and disturbed came out. I didn’t hate everything they did, but I was like, “is this what heavy music is becoming?” Definitely a buzzkill moment of heavy rock/metal music for me.

- Carl Jung
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

How many of the shows listed above will actually happen, as scheduled??? Feels like everything is gonna grind to a complete halt starting...now. The first one I've got tix for is The Stones.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Angry Waters wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:42 am How many of the shows listed above will actually happen, as scheduled??? Feels like everything is gonna grind to a complete halt starting...now. The first one I've got tix for is The Stones.
The only one I’ve got a ticket for is nick cave in September. I’m cautiously optimistic that show will go on as scheduled.

But Cave is notoriously skiddish. He cancelled his show in Minneapolis a few months after 9/11 because he couldn’t will himself to step foot on a plane.

- Carl Jung
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 am
Angry Waters wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:24 am

We all have our skeletons. The first lump Bizkit album was something I hadn’t heard before. I didn’t hate it immediately either. For me, it was when bands like papa roach and disturbed came out. I didn’t hate everything they did, but I was like, “is this what heavy music is becoming?” Definitely a buzzkill moment of heavy rock/metal music for me.
In around 2000-2001, Nu Metal became what Hair Metal was in the early 90's. 3 Dollar Bill, Y'all was a freaking great album. Even Significant Other was pretty damn good, but you could feel them going too far with the "pop" sound, or something. Staind was the same way, and I'd even say that Korn got that way after they released Issues. But I digress...
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Angry Waters wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:42 am How many of the shows listed above will actually happen, as scheduled??? Feels like everything is gonna grind to a complete halt starting...now. The first one I've got tix for is The Stones.
Rage has postponed all shows thru the first leg, May 20.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cmd24 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:47 pm
Rage has postponed all shows thru the first leg, May 20.
Tool has cancelled at least one show and is “evaluating” their tour.

- Carl Jung
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Devin Townsend was supposed to play first ave March 19th. Stupid Chinamen.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:45 pm Devin Townsend was supposed to play first ave March 19th. Stupid Chinamen.
The saying 'A musician's musician' could not be truer with this guy. I probably throw the word genius around too much when it comes to music. Well, the label fits this guy. Keep in mind, I'm still a rather casual fan though I truly appreciate and recognize the talent. A buddy I play with is a huge Townsend freak so he's turned me onto a lot of the post-SYL stuff. I really enjoy the 'Project' stuff, fwiw.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Angry Waters wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:45 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:45 pm Devin Townsend was supposed to play first ave March 19th. Stupid Chinamen.
The saying 'A musician's musician' could not be truer with this guy. I probably throw the word genius around too much when it comes to music. Well, the label fits this guy. Keep in mind, I'm still a rather casual fan though I truly appreciate and recognize the talent. A buddy I play with is a huge Townsend freak so he's turned me onto a lot of the post-SYL stuff. I really enjoy the 'Project' stuff, fwiw.
Dig this song and this chicks voice.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/NEVOEWRGdCM[/youtube]
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

The Summer of 2020 concert scene was looking pretty good until recently.
What is your prediction ? I think many of these big shows will go overseas to countries where the carona virus has already ran it's course. They can't play here unless it's August/Sept and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hummdrum wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:16 pm The Summer of 2020 concert scene was looking pretty good until recently.
What is your prediction ? I think many of these big shows will go overseas to countries where the carona virus has already ran it's course. They can't play here unless it's August/Sept and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
yep.