Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Not "Great" Bands that you're oddly drawn too...

Music forum.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Not "Great" Bands that you're oddly drawn too...

Post by cmd24 »

Anyone have one of those bands that you know aren't necessarily wildly popular, or some sort of innovative band, but that you find yourself being a fan of? Mine is Collective Soul. I've seen them live three times, and have most of the albums. I can acknowledge they aren't some historically great band. But damn, do I really like them. Something about their music hits me just right.

Do you have a particular band like this, froobs?
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Not "Great" Bands that you're oddly drawn too...

Post by Lightning »

Ghost. I dig the aesthetic, the tongue-in-cheekness, the melodic quality of the music. Was hyped to see them open for Maiden a couple years ago, saw them at The Place Theater last year with the fam. I just find the whole thing goofy and fun.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Would Jack White’s projects like White Stripes, Dead Weather, Raconteurs, and solo count? He’a Great to me. Ty Segall is another guy who I think is great, but kind of unknown.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

going to see Toad Friday.....and have seen Glen Phillps several times as well. There music was not my favorite, but their tunes make for a really good, fun show.....Plus, the zoo ampitheater is as good as it gets in town.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Interpol
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Lightning wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:23 am Ghost. I dig the aesthetic, the tongue-in-cheekness, the melodic quality of the music. Was hyped to see them open for Maiden a couple years ago, saw them at The Place Theater last year with the fam. I just find the whole thing goofy and fun.
This is a great call. They have that heavy sound with vey accessible pop sensibilities thing down in a very compelling way.

I also saw them open for maiden and was entertained. Not a great band, but they have carved out their niche.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I got one:

Monster Magnet.

Some mild hits in the 90s (“Negasonic Teenage Warhead” and “Space Lord”), But they’re still active and have a really good hard rock/stoner rock catalogue. Excellent covers of “Kick Out the Jams” by the MC5, “Venus in Furs” by The Velvet Underground, and “There’s No Way Out of Here” by David Gilmour as well.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

"That's like uh, your opinion man"!