Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Guitar Froobs: Epiphone vs Gibson

Music forum.
Beef Supreme

Guitar Froobs: Epiphone vs Gibson

Post by Beef Supreme »

In the market for a new axe. I’m an intermediate player and I’m not super rich. I’ve been reading that the quality gap between Epiphones and Gibsons has narrowed in the last decade or so, especially with regards to the pickups they use.

Anyone have first-hand experience with this? How much better are Gibsons than Epiphones these days? It’s a moot point in some ways as I cannot justify springing for a legit Gibson anyway. But I’m just curious. Or is there a better economy guitar maker than Epiphone that you’d recommend?

Looking at a Les Paul Custom with a silver burst finish.

Thanks!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
LordNu

Re: Guitar Froobs: Epiphone vs Gibson

Post by LordNu »

I am a purist, so I will always say Gibson. In saying that, I haven't actually handled an Epiphone.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

LordNu wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:15 pm I am a purist, so I will always say Gibson. In saying that, I haven't actually handled an Epiphone.
That didn’t help me much. But thanks for replying!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

The nicer Epiphones might be a bit better than the cheaper Gibsons like you seem to understand already. I had a 76 Gibson Deluxe when I was a kid, traded in for a Charvel because I was stupid.

My opinion would be to skip both and get an SE Standard 24 (budget PRS - Paul Reed Smith). This guitar around 500-600 used is a better guitar than a lot of the 1000 - 1500 Les Pauls. They stay in tune and the intonation is superior to the lower grade Les Pauls, imo and the tonal range is wider.

I strayed from the question a bit sorry.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Gibson. No contest.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
focker

Post by focker »

I've owned and played both extensively. I own a Epiphone Sheraton II right now that is my main guitar. Love it. The high end Epiphone's are great guitars. Good pickups, solid construction, etc. Excellent tuners also which is nice as they stay in tune well. For the money a $600 Epiphone is hard guitar to beat value-wise. I like semi-hollow electric guitars the most so this one was perfect for me.

Low end Gibsons IMO aren't all that great and the high end ones are super over-priced. If you have the money a les paul studio is a good guitar.

My son (17) also plays and we recently bought him his real new electric. After playing basically every $200-500 guitar in Guitar Center he ended up buying a Schecter Bad Omen. Pretty sick guitar. Bolt on neck, but maple capped mahogany body like a les paul. It sounds great and has coil tapping as well which is a nice feature. I think he paid $400 for it. Has a really great clean tone also. The volume pots are a little more touchy than my Epiphone's are.

The biggest thing I recommend with guitars under $1,000 is to play them a ton before you buy. The quality from guitar to guitar can vary somewhat on budget guitars. Things to watch out for would be neck shape, buzzing frets and frets that are too wide for the fret board. Nothing is worse than running you hand down the neck and feeling the end of every fret. I like bound fretboards as they solve this problem.
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

John lee Hooker played an Epiphone, probably because he was poor. so did John lennon

my first axe was a Teisco Del Ray I bought for $50 (plastic amp included) at a store in Dinkytown
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Who can afford a Gibson? I’ve got an Epiphone Dot, but I usually just play my beat up 1977 Yamaha acoustic. Everything is shaved down and customized for an amazing sound.

I am more into pedals than the pick ups, but I’ve been eyeing a Strat for a while to play around more.

Ever played that Guitar Smith game? Kinda fun with an electric guitar.
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:22 pm In the market for a new axe. I’m an intermediate player and I’m not super rich. I’ve been reading that the quality gap between Epiphones and Gibsons has narrowed in the last decade or so, especially with regards to the pickups they use.

Anyone have first-hand experience with this? How much better are Gibsons than Epiphones these days? It’s a moot point in some ways as I cannot justify springing for a legit Gibson anyway. But I’m just curious. Or is there a better economy guitar maker than Epiphone that you’d recommend?

Looking at a Les Paul Custom with a silver burst finish.

Thanks!
If you’re dead set on the Les Paul style guitar, I highly recommend Agile guitars. Absolutely incredible value for the dollar, especially if it’s just going to be a “house” guitar. Check out the specs.

I’m a Fender/GJ2 guy through and through, but felt I needed a Les Paul....just because. Picked up a brand new Agile after playing several Epi’s and Paul’s and I was floored by the quality.

I’ve had it on stage a few times as a back up and I’m constantly asked, “Dude! Why aren’t you playing the Les Paul?”

Check ‘em out.

https://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomus ... a8d614cc26
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Fuckit, get an Epiphone. They've been making guitars longer than Gibson.

Hell, even Les Paul used an Epiphone for recording even after his signature model came out.
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays