Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Bob Dylan is 78 today

Music forum.
Dan33185

Bob Dylan is 78 today

Post by Dan33185 »

Happy birthday to Zimmy, a Minnesota kid who made it big

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
weimy froob

Re: Bob Dylan is 78 today

Post by weimy froob »

:bday:

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i listened to this one this afternoon in honor of bob's b-day. even on his lesser albums he's got some phrases that are pure dylan.

Bob Dylan with Allen Ginsberg at the grave of Jack Kerouac, 1975
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

weimy froob wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:19 pm i listened to this one this afternoon in honor of bob's b-day. even on his lesser albums he's got some phrases that are pure dylan.

Agreed. I think “Oh, Mercy” might be his most underrated album.

But the 80s were not a good fit for Dylan.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:38 am
weimy froob wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:19 pm i listened to this one this afternoon in honor of bob's b-day. even on his lesser albums he's got some phrases that are pure dylan.

Agreed. I think “Oh, Mercy” might be his most underrated album.

But the 80s were not a good fit for Dylan.
oh that one isn't underrated to anybody who has listened to it. some great dylan songs on that one.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

The times they're are still changin.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Herky

Post by Herky »

I just can't get into his music no matter how hard I try.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Herky wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:56 am I just can't get into his music no matter how hard I try.
I've heard people say that before, and I get it. His voice doesn't appeal to everyone, and his lyrics can be out there sometimes. For those who get into his music, being a fan becomes an obsession, but he's definitely not for everyone.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:38 am I think “Oh, Mercy” might be his most underrated album.
i think "planet waves" gets short shrift. overshadowed by his next one, BOTT.
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

back in '78-'79I went to the Cabooze to hear Luther Allison and Dylan showed up. he was sitting in the sound box at the back of the room. by the end of the night the whole crowd was facing him, chanting ZIM-EE ZIM-EE ZIM-EE. Dylan looked like a caged animal
another time I went to hear Hubert Sumlin at the old Artistds Quarter and Dylan was there. nothing memorable happened.
Everybody knows that Dylan did some recording at Sound 80 back in '74. He also recorded some stuff with Willie and the Bees back in the early '80s, at a house in Burnsville or Lakeville. those tapes were never used for anything.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

The Trailer for Martin Scorsese's Bob Dylan Documentary Is a Rare Look at a Legend

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 pm The Trailer for Martin Scorsese's Bob Dylan Documentary Is a Rare Look at a Legend

i finally got around to watching this last night. real good archival footage of the tour. the footage many times lined up with the songs they put on the live 75 bootleg series. i knew it would be interesting to me because i read ratso's book earlier and live 75 might be the most played compilations in my dylan collection. actually i have to put it just behind the first two gospel bob albums-but certainly next. he's in such a cool place in his life. scarlet rivera is the hidden jewel of the movie. seeing her and bob play those songs you can see how much she brought to the tour.

i didn't know the sharon stone anecdote before seeing this. bob had his eyes on her when she was a fetching teenage model. asked her to join the tour and she did. later he told her he wrote a song for her and broke into just like a woman. sharon started crying she was so touched. later t-bone burnett told her that bob had written the song 10 years earlier. :lol:

this sequence was in the movie too. bob and ginsberg at kerouc's tomb.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

nevermind.

In Netflix's 'Rolling Thunder Revue,' Dylan and Scorsese Blur Fact and Fiction
This Netflix collaboration between Bob Dylan and Martin Scorsese may look like a documentary, but its main premise is a lie

Simon Spungin
Jun 25, 2019 6:46 PM

Scorsese dips into the footage from “Renaldo and Clara” – which combined concert footage with improvised scenes starring Dylan and his tour-mates – throughout “Rolling Thunder Revue.” This makes it impossible to know what is genuine and what is invention. Did Sharon Stone really join the tour, ironing Joan Baez’s shirt and inspiring Dylan to paint his face white by introducing him to the glam metal band Kiss? Did President Jimmy Carter really call Dylan to get Rep. Jack Tanner, “one of the youngest members of the Congress,” into a small-town concert, after the Democrat was stranded in the same small town where the tour happened to be? The answer to both these questions is no. Stone would only have been 17 at the time and, in any case, the Rolling Thunder Revue never came to her home state. And there was no “Jack Tanner” in Congress; the character was lifted from a 1988 mockumentary by Garry Trudeau and reprised here by Michael Murphy.

good one bob. you got me.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:16 am nevermind.

This Netflix collaboration between Bob Dylan and Martin Scorsese may look like a documentary, but its main premise is a lie

Simon Spungin

Scorsese dips into the footage from “Renaldo and Clara” – which combined concert footage with improvised scenes starring Dylan and his tour-mates – throughout “Rolling Thunder Revue.” This makes it impossible to know what is genuine and what is invention. Did Sharon Stone really join the tour, ironing Joan Baez’s shirt and inspiring Dylan to paint his face white by introducing him to the glam metal band Kiss? Did President Jimmy Carter really call Dylan to get Rep. Jack Tanner, “one of the youngest members of the Congress,” into a small-town concert, after the Democrat was stranded in the same small town where the tour happened to be? The answer to both these questions is no. Stone would only have been 17 at the time and, in any case, the Rolling Thunder Revue never came to her home state. And there was no “Jack Tanner” in Congress; the character was lifted from a 1988 mockumentary by Garry Trudeau and reprised here by Michael Murphy.

This one makes no sense. I don't think the doc ever claimed she was over 17, nor that the show was in her home state.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Dan33185 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:45 am
weimy froob wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:16 am nevermind.

Simon Spungin

This one makes no sense. I don't think the doc ever claimed she was over 17, nor that the show was in her home state.
no it didn't. but it sounded like she said she went to a show with her mom in the northeast. it was a good spoof that fooled me. also if you find that article it let's you in on the lie of the guy who was supposed to be filming the program. i should have known better because there wasn't one mention of renaldo and clara or sara in the whole show. that's what they were filming and bob was in charge of that.

the joni scene where she's singing coyote? that song is supposedly about her hooking up with sam shepard on the tour.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Nobody cares but the lame MN rubes who claim him. Genius? If he is such a genius why has he sold less records than John Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen? Same guy IMO!
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Qman65 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:12 pm Nobody cares but the lame MN rubes who claim him. Genius? If he is such a genius why has he sold less records than John Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen? Same guy IMO!
Well, he is the only signer/songwriter to win the Nobel Prize. But I guess record sales are more important :roll:
Last edited by Dan33185 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

check out Elston Gunn on Facebook. some people think it's the real Bob
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Qman65 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:12 pm Nobody cares but the lame MN rubes who claim him. Genius? If he is such a genius why has he sold less records than John Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen? Same guy IMO!
Mellencamp?

Good lord...

Why has One Direction sold more records than Jimi Hendrix?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:20 am
Mellencamp?

Good lord...

Why has One Direction sold more records than Jimi Hendrix?
Hendrix once opened for the Monkees**

** Geezer Chat
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Remember that time you tried to tell people that it's okay to like what they like, and that no one should rip them for it? Do you? You can't enter a single thread without ragging on people about music.

Fuck off, man.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

cmd24 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:05 am
Remember that time you tried to tell people that it's okay to like what they like, and that no one should rip them for it? Do you? You can't enter a single thread without ragging on people about music.

Fuck off, man.
He really is a miserable fuck.

I'm listening to Bob's podcast about Christmas/New Years this morning at work. :thumbsup: Lots of deep Christmas tracks so far, love it.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:07 am

Fuck off, man.

I'm listening to Bob's podcast about Christmas/New Years this morning at work. :thumbsup: Lots of deep Christmas tracks so far, love it.
love theme time radio hour. have you heard all the shows yet?
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:44 am

Fuck off, man.

Nope, not even close. I've listened to a few and sought out the Christmas one just for this week. I'm slowly working my way up the list, so many podcasts, so little time.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:48 am

Nope, not even close. I've listened to a few and sought out the Christmas one just for this week. I'm slowly working my way up the list, so many podcasts, so little time.
not bragging-but i've probably heard every episode at least 4-5 times with maybe the kiss episode as an exception. that was a "lost" episode that got added after the program ended. i started when the shows started up-and i never get sick of them. i used to listen every day to one at 10 a.m. on dylanradio.com-but i've gotten away from that a couple of years ago. still do though from time to time. some of the best radio out there imo.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:52 am

not bragging-but i've probably heard every episode at least 4-5 times with maybe the kiss episode as an exception. that was a "lost" episode that got added after the program ended. i started when the shows started up-and i never get sick of them. i used to listen every day to one at 10 a.m. on dylanradio.com-but i've gotten away from that a couple of years ago. still do though from time to time. some of the best radio out there imo.
I didn't even know about them until a month or so ago, so trying to get through them as best I can. I still have to listen to my OTR shows and I found a new show about OTR radio that I really like too and those are usually 2-3 hours long.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:58 am
weimy froob wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:52 am

I didn't even know about them until a month or so ago, so trying to get through them as best I can. I still have to listen to my OTR shows and I found a new show about OTR radio that I really like too and those are usually 2-3 hours long.
they became good background for me after a couple of listens-but from time to time a song would stand out that i didn't really remember or i found something out about the artist and it caught my ear in a different way. i'd start from one and work your way through the order. you will see how much more comfortable he gets with the show as he enters late into season one and then going forward. even if you heard an episode before-it won't hurt to hear it again. you'll probably listen to one of the songs in a different way then you did the first time anyways. :coolio:
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

And those who love him are all over the internet with platitudes. Frankly, just being from Mn isn't reason to gush. The only MN person to gush on is Mitch Hedberg.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Qman65 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:11 pm Frankly, just being from Mn isn't reason to gush.
Do you think its only Minnesotans that hold Dylan in such high regard? The dude is a legend, not just locally, but nationally.

Maybe you don't like his music, that's fine...but to think that Minnesotans are the only people that gush over him is a terrible take.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

You judge music based on who sells more records? You must be a big Bieber and Britney Spears fan.