Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Concert Thread***

Music forum.
j2j

***Official Concert Thread***

Post by j2j »

Post about concerts you've recently been to or are going to, and then how they were.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
j2j

Re: ***Official Concert Thread***

Post by j2j »

I went to Luke Combs up at Amsoil Arena in Duluth on Thursday. I'd only known a couple of his songs that the played on the radio, hadn't listened to much else. I'm now a pretty big fan. The stuff they don't play on the radio is even better than the stuff that they do.

It's very infrequent that a musician sounds as good live as they do on CD, but he sounds EXACTLY the same. No help needed. Great story teller, comes off as very genuine. Has some older country in him.

I'd recommend checking him out if you like country, but not the poppy shit they play now-a-days.

Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

I'm going to AIC this Friday! Last time I saw them live was at Lollapalooza 1993.

Looking back that was one hell of a ticket. Primus, AIC, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Dinosaur Jr, Fishbone, and Arrested Development.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:05 pm I'm going to AIC this Friday! Last time I saw them live was at Lollapalooza 1993.

Looking back that was one hell of a ticket. Primus, AIC, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Dinosaur Jr, Fishbone, and Arrested Development.
That's an absolutely ridiculous lineup.

cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Saw Styx in February in Mankato. Blackberry Smoke a few weeks ago in Medina. Going to Rival Sons in 10 days, at First Ave!

Styx was pretty much the same as always. A great live band. No opener, so they played about 75-80 minutes, took a 20 minute break, and then played for another hour or so. More "newer" stuff than what I cared for, but still really good.

Blackberry Smoke was dynamite, even for an acoustic show. Charlie Starr is such an awesome front man. Played well with the audience, given it required more talking, due to being acoustic. The drummer played his full kit, but blended in so well, that it seemed as though each of the songs were written exactly that way. Same with the keyboard/piano player. Went with a buddy who hadn't heard anything of theirs, and he absolutely fell in love. Plus, they did their cover of Petty's "You Got Lucky".

Extremely excited for Rival Sons. Been a fan for quite a few years, now.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

j2j wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:28 am
Jimi_Thing wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:05 pm I'm going to AIC this Friday! Last time I saw them live was at Lollapalooza 1993.

That's an absolutely ridiculous lineup.
Sucks that I have little to no memory of that concert stored in my memory bank.
Badbeat

Post by Badbeat »

my 6 year old is making me go see Joan Jett and the Steve Miller Band July 12th in Prior Lake
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

cmd24 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:41 am Saw Styx in February in Mankato. Blackberry Smoke a few weeks ago in Medina. Going to Rival Sons in 10 days, at First Ave!

Styx was pretty much the same as always. A great live band. No opener, so they played about 75-80 minutes, took a 20 minute break, and then played for another hour or so. More "newer" stuff than what I cared for, but still really good.

Blackberry Smoke was dynamite, even for an acoustic show. Charlie Starr is such an awesome front man. Played well with the audience, given it required more talking, due to being acoustic. The drummer played his full kit, but blended in so well, that it seemed as though each of the songs were written exactly that way. Same with the keyboard/piano player. Went with a buddy who hadn't heard anything of theirs, and he absolutely fell in love. Plus, they did their cover of Petty's "You Got Lucky".

Does Styx still play a cover of I am the Walrus at their shows?

I have seen them 3 or 4 times and I swear, it's the same set in the same order every time. Blue Collar Man kicks it off, somewhere in the middle they play I am the Walrus and Mr. Roboto and they end it with Come Sail Away
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Cobey wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:24 pm
cmd24 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:41 am Saw Styx in February in Mankato. Blackberry Smoke a few weeks ago in Medina. Going to Rival Sons in 10 days, at First Ave!

Does Styx still play a cover of I am the Walrus at their shows?

I have seen them 3 or 4 times and I swear, it's the same set in the same order every time. Blue Collar Man kicks it off, somewhere in the middle they play I am the Walrus and Mr. Roboto and they end it with Come Sail Away
They did not play Walrus this time. Honestly, I was disappointed in that. This is the fourth time I’ve seen them, and the fourth different set. But, each time I’ve seen them, they’ve played at a different time in the set. I’ve seen them open for REO, play in the middle of a show with REO and Journey, headline a show with Mickey Thomas and REO, and now this one which they were the only act.
Paul Fuggasol

Post by Paul Fuggasol »

I am a huge fan of live music. Next week I am headed to Chicago to see Van Morrison two nights at the famed Chicago Theatre.

On the horizon:

Dead & Co. Boulder, Co 7/5 & 6
Phish 7/12, 13 & 14 @ Alpine Valley
Tedeschi Trucks Band @ Beacon Theatre in NYC 9/27 & 28
Van Morrison 10/4 Greek Theatre @ Berkeley
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Maiden in August.

Thinking about seeing Clutch and The Dropkick Murphys in October.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Went to Judas Priest and Deep Purple last Oct at the Island. I have video footage to confirm if you don't believe me.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Alice in Chains was fucking awesome last night! I absolutely love their last couple of albums.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Paul Fuggasol wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:11 pm I am a huge fan of live music. Next week I am headed to Chicago to see Van Morrison two nights at the famed Chicago Theatre.
:thumbsup: i hope you get a couple songs off of "astral weeks".
Paul Fuggasol

Post by Paul Fuggasol »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:20 pm
Paul Fuggasol wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:11 pm I am a huge fan of live music. Next week I am headed to Chicago to see Van Morrison two nights at the famed Chicago Theatre.
:thumbsup: i hope you get a couple songs off of "astral weeks".
If Van played Cyprus Avenue, I’d be over the moon, but i’m not holding my breath. No matter what he plays, I’ll be happy. He is a music icon.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I might be going to see Rodrigo y Gabriela in Bayfield this July.

Anyone familiar with them?

- Carl Jung
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Took in the Rival Sons show last night. Absolutely awesome show. The Sheepdogs opened for them, but I wasn't able to get there in time. Many a person raved about their show last night, though.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:29 pm I might be going to see Rodrigo y Gabriela in Bayfield this July.

No. Hope they are a bucket list thing for you.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Dude

Post by Dude »

Going to Tool in Des Moines in a couple weeks. Hoping there's an album release announcement and they play some of their new tunes. I'll keep you posted!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

:thumbsup:
Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:29 pm I might be going to see Rodrigo y Gabriela in Bayfield this July.

There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

saw molly tuttle at the dakota last month. only heard about her for the first time about a week before, but she was great. i'm not a big fan of bluegrass - just a big fan of talent. and she's just a fucking ridiculous guitarist. first woman ever to be awarded best guitarist by the bluegrass assoc of america - two years in a row now. probably mid-20s, but she's had to have spent thousands of hours just sitting around getting her technique down. put her in a trio with chet atkins and doc watson and she'd completely hold her own.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Going to see OAR in August. Been about 10 years since I've seen them live, but they're a fun festival and puff, puff, pass band.

RC3

Post by RC3 »

Saw Sammy Haggar & The Circle w/ Vince Neil at Mystic Lake a month or so ago. Sammy was very good! Vince needs to go away.

Going to Iron Maiden in August. Will be my first time seeing them. Pretty stoked.
reddish?

I will have my vengeance.
focker

Post by focker »

I honestly think the concerts in the cities this year are pretty awful. Lots of washed up crap.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
Dude

Post by Dude »

Dude wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:13 pm Going to Tool in Des Moines in a couple weeks. Hoping there's an album release announcement and they play some of their new tunes. I'll keep you posted!!
Forgot all about this thread...

Tool puts on a great show and this wasn't an exception. They played two songs off of their new album- Descending and Invincible. They're both slower (but still heavy) songs and I'm really looking forward to their new album. I remember thinking the new tunes had a Pink Floyd-ish kind of feel to it, but it might have been the light show and the contact buzz.

It was my fourth Tool show and they never disappoint. They didn't play Lateralus or Eulogy, but overall the setlist was pretty solid with several high points- they opened with Aenema, hit 46/2, Jambi, and closed it out with Vicarious and Stinkfist.

Hopefully they make another run through the cities after the new album comes out in August.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

RC3 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:21 am Saw Sammy Haggar & The Circle w/ Vince Neil at Mystic Lake a month or so ago. Sammy was very good! Vince needs to go away.

Going to Iron Maiden in August. Will be my first time seeing them. Pretty stoked.
Setlist:

. “Aces High”
2. “Where Eagles Dare”
3. “2 Minutes To Midnight”
4. “The Clansman”
5. “The Trooper”
6. “Revelations”
7. “For The Greater Good Of God”
8. “The Wicker Man”
9. “Sign Of The Cross”
10. ‘Flight Of Icarus”
11. “Fear Of The Dark”
12. “The Number Of The Beast”
13. “Iron Maiden”

Encore:

14. “The Evil That Men Do”
15. “Hallowed Be They Name”
16. “Run To The Hills”

- Carl Jung
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Going to Mumford and Sons and Lord Huron at Fiddler's Green on August 15th! Should be a fun trip to Colorado. Make a couple weed stops along the way, go out to eat, go to the show, get back to the hotel, and party until the morning and head back the next day.

Mumford put out a new album recently so I happened to look up their tour dates, and in doing so saw they were playing with Lord Huron. Hell, I'd go just to see Lord Huron on their own, so I was more than happy to shell out double for the tickets. Besides, it's about a 6 hour trip for me, so that makes me care less about price. The entire experience is worth it. I'll update after the show :thumbsup:
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
RC3

Post by RC3 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 pm
RC3 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:21 am Saw Sammy Haggar & The Circle w/ Vince Neil at Mystic Lake a month or so ago. Sammy was very good! Vince needs to go away.

Setlist:

. “Aces High”
2. “Where Eagles Dare”
3. “2 Minutes To Midnight”
4. “The Clansman”
5. “The Trooper”
6. “Revelations”
7. “For The Greater Good Of God”
8. “The Wicker Man”
9. “Sign Of The Cross”
10. ‘Flight Of Icarus”
11. “Fear Of The Dark”
12. “The Number Of The Beast”
13. “Iron Maiden”

Encore:

14. “The Evil That Men Do”
15. “Hallowed Be They Name”
16. “Run To The Hills”
reddish?

I will have my vengeance.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:22 pm :thumbsup:

I did not end up seeing them, unfortunately. I dig their shit, though.

- Carl Jung