Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Grand Funk Railroad

Music forum.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Grand Funk Railroad

Post by cmd24 »

Overrated? Underratted? Rated just right? What are your thoughts?

I've always been a fan, but I can't decide if they are a "great" band, or not. Got to see them open for the Doobie Brothers, at the State Fair, in 02 or 03(?). Enjoyable show, for sure. Don Brewer did some touring around 05-06 with Bob Seger, as well. We're An American Band is certainly a great song, but they've had some other bangers as well. But are they some sort of classic great, in the eyes of the general public?
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
weimy froob

Re: Grand Funk Railroad

Post by weimy froob »

i'll tell you that my friend's older brother would never call them overrated. he always cranked up the GFR when we were partying in the basement-then he'd pass out the instruments and we'd take part. the bongos, the tamberine or any other percussive thing he had around.

and this is the guy that told me when i was 16 years old that there was "no such thing as a bad skynyrd song". i don't think he was wrong on skynyrd-so i'll go with him on GFR too. :coolio:
Spoiler:
on another note-i've been listening to lots of classic vinyl lately. as long as the spirit moves me. anyways i certainly wish they'd open up the playlist a little. three different time periods in the last 3 days and i heard "no more mr. nice guy". i like the song-so i pay attention when it gets played-but if i'm hearing it that frequently in less than 72 hours and at random times how many times is it getting played every day? or the other songs in the playlist?
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:55 am i'll tell you that my friend's older brother would never call them overrated. he always cranked up the GFR when we were partying in the basement-then he'd pass out the instruments and we'd take part. the bongos, the tamberine or any other percussive thing he had around.

and this is the guy that told me when i was 16 years old that there was "no such thing as a bad skynyrd song". i don't think he was wrong on skynyrd-so i'll go with him on GFR too. :coolio:
Spoiler:
on another note-i've been listening to lots of classic vinyl lately. as long as the spirit moves me. anyways i certainly wish they'd open up the playlist a little. three different time periods in the last 3 days and i heard "no more mr. nice guy". i like the song-so i pay attention when it gets played-but if i'm hearing it that frequently in less than 72 hours and at random times how many times is it getting played every day? or the other songs in the playlist?
Classic Vinyl on SXM? If you haven't noticed, by now, they just run their stuff on a loop. Pretty much all the channels do that. Give it a week or so, and then you won't here that song again. That's what I've noticed from them, in the last 10-15 years, anyway.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

cmd24 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 am
weimy froob wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:55 am i'll tell you that my friend's older brother would never call them overrated. he always cranked up the GFR when we were partying in the basement-then he'd pass out the instruments and we'd take part. the bongos, the tamberine or any other percussive thing he had around.

Spoiler:
Classic Vinyl on SXM? If you haven't noticed, by now, they just run their stuff on a loop. Pretty much all the channels do that. Give it a week or so, and then you won't here that song again. That's what I've noticed from them, in the last 10-15 years, anyway.
yeah. explain that loop thing. they have a loop for a 10 days and then change the loop to another one they have pre-recorded? and it had been awhile since i had heard that one until this week. before that it was "eighteen" by alice.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Well, I originally noticed it on a road trip. I think what it is, is that they have a certain number of songs queued. It seems they played the same order, and everything. The DJ isn't on that loop, so when they break in, it's legit. I just think they just repeat a few days, and then move on to a new set.

I have nothing firm to back this up, other than being stuck in the vehicle for a few days, and noticing it. I couldn't prove this in a court of law, if I had to!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

cmd24 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 am Well, I originally noticed it on a road trip. I think what it is, is that they have a certain number of songs queued. It seems they played the same order, and everything. The DJ isn't on that loop, so when they break in, it's legit. I just think they just repeat a few days, and then move on to a new set.

I have nothing firm to back this up, other than being stuck in the vehicle for a few days, and noticing it. I couldn't prove this in a court of law, if I had to!
i figure the DJ's are live for most of the shows because they're mentioning things that would be relevant in real time. but they also put in lots of hours so i wondered if they taped some of those programs. everything is niche-so the playlists are truncated. but it sounds like they've made stations with much more diverse playlists on the new ones they created for the app.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

and "we're an american band" is one of the greatest classic rock-n-rollers ever-no matter how you view the rest of GFR's catalog.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:20 am
cmd24 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 am Well, I originally noticed it on a road trip. I think what it is, is that they have a certain number of songs queued. It seems they played the same order, and everything. The DJ isn't on that loop, so when they break in, it's legit. I just think they just repeat a few days, and then move on to a new set.

i figure the DJ's are live for most of the shows because they're mentioning things that would be relevant in real time. but they also put in lots of hours so i wondered if they taped some of those programs. everything is niche-so the playlists are truncated. but it sounds like they've made stations with much more diverse playlists on the new ones they created for the app.
Very much so. I've been using some of the stations on the app, when I'm working out. No DJ's and most of them.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

They have the word “funk” in their name and don’t play funk at all.

Boo.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Badbeat

Post by Badbeat »

There are a lot of bands in the "grand funk" range... Bands like Rare Earth where you say "thats a cool song" and then you move on...
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

Badbeat wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:14 pm There are a lot of bands in the "grand funk" range... Bands like Rare Earth where you say "thats a cool song" and then you move on...
A lot of bands with 13 gold albums, 10 platinum albums, and 25M+ in record sales when you actually had to drive too a record store to buy an album?

I think you might be selling them a wee bit short.
Badbeat

Post by Badbeat »

-Jaymo- wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:13 pm
Badbeat wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:14 pm There are a lot of bands in the "grand funk" range... Bands like Rare Earth where you say "thats a cool song" and then you move on...
A lot of bands with 13 gold albums, 10 platinum albums, and 25M+ in record sales when you actually had to drive too a record store to buy an album?

I think you might be selling them a wee bit short.
Rare Earth had over 20 million in sales.. just saying these are the type of bands that are overlooked
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

GFR's heyday was before my time so i have to rely on their music and in that i wouldn't consider them very memorable. but as i said earlier to the kids who were 5-8 years older they had a much greater influence. i think that their legacy is that they were a cultural force within that subset of baby boomers who enjoyed their music and went to their concerts. the first couple of sentences from their wikipedia page.

Grand Funk Railroad, sometimes shortened as Grand Funk, is an American rock band popular during the 1970s, when they toured extensively and played to packed arenas worldwide. David Fricke of Rolling Stone magazine once said, "You cannot talk about rock in the 1970s without talking about Grand Funk Railroad!"[1][2] Known for their crowd-pleasing arena rock style, the band was well-regarded by audiences despite a relative lack of critical acclaim.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

GFR is the epitome of the 70's Classic Rock genre. Much like BTO, and Bad Company, GFR was good music to grow up with and fill a radio play list but they didn't do anything special or different. They are who they are, and sometimes that's enough.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

They got more radio play than Thin Lizzy.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

on the classic vinyl front? "no more mr. nice guy" still in the loop. queued up and playing right now. :mrgreen:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

'love is the drug" by roxy music is in the "classic vinyl" loop these days. i've heard it a couple of times lately. this station has been the go-to for me since they did that 1000 song countdown show. i don't know when the spirit is going to move me to something different in the afternoon listening. but it will at sometime.

lots of siriusly sinatra in the mornings lately too.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:47 am on the classic vinyl front? "no more mr. nice guy" still in the loop. queued up and playing right now. :mrgreen:
still in the loop. when am i going to hear "i'm 18" by alice instead again?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"we're an american band"
Spoiler:
classic vinyl. :coolio:
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »