Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Doug Sahm

Music forum.
realjazzguy

Doug Sahm

Post by realjazzguy »

[youtube][/youtube]
Lenny5160

Re: Doug Sahm

Post by Lenny5160 »

I only know about Doug Sahm from Uncle Tupelo playing "Give Back The Key To My Heart" on their final album, with Doug singing a verse. I recall reading that they were recording the album and happened to run into Doug in a hotel lobby, and asked him if he would come sing something.

Good little YouTube rabbit hole for the day. I dig the Ray Manzarek-style organ that really stands out on the "Live in Austin" stuff!
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

I heard Doug a couple times in Austin and also here with the Texas Tornadoes. my favorite white blues guy. The 1972 Doug Sahm and Band album (with Bob Dylan singing backup) is a classic. he heard all kinds of music growing up in San Antonio, so he had a great feel for playing all kinds of music authentically.
I met him at the keys Cafe on Nicollet; a real character, super talkative. he spent time in mpls in the '90s because he had a girlfriend who worked at Dayton's. He played at the Viking Bar blues jam a few times. A friend of mine took him to a Twins game.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Yes, this is good.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

listening to freddie sing "before the next teardrop falls" on alexa. he dedicated it to doug sahm "wherever you may be now". texas tornados.
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

weimy froob wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:52 am listening to freddie sing "before the next teardrop falls" on alexa. he dedicated it to doug sahm "wherever you may be now". texas tornados.
back in the early 70s, DOug recorded Wasted Days and Wasted Nights and did a shout out to "Freddie Fender, wherever you are".

the Tornadoes were a fantastic band, saw them at, First Avenue and the Mill City music fest around '97.
Doug brought his own band here to Duffy's and the Cabooze. and used to sit in at the Viking bar blues jam around 1999.His girlfriend worked at Daytons.