Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

vinyl

Music forum.
laX

vinyl

Post by laX »

i seriously dont get it.
we have millions of digital options, but there's a large part of the population who are buying these pizza sized albums to play on a space taking machine.
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
Bull

Re: vinyl

Post by Bull »

It's fun. It makes me happy.
mlhouse wrote: Rudy Guiliani is an American hero.
mlhouse wrote: I am a bleeding heart liberal.
mlhouse wrote: Donald Trump was teh most successful one term President in the history of the United States.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

It relaxes me and gives me enjoyment.
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

laX wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:03 am i seriously dont get it.

You don’t listen.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Get a joint, maybe some booze. Turn on the turntable and put on Led Zeppelin 1 and Your time is gonna come. Magic. The little pops and crackles add, they do not detract.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I grew up with vinyl as a kid. I remember my parents spinning classics like Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the USA.” I also remember Christmas albums and some local folk music in vinyl (Gordon Lightfoot, Charlie Maguire, etc.).

I, of course had cassette tapes for my Billy Idol and Duran Duran years. But by the time I was a teenager and getting into more serious rock music, CDs had come out and I went right into them (first CD: “The Razor’s Edge” by AC/DC) I never owned any of my favorite albums from my formative years on vinyl. I had CDs. But I liked having something. Digital music is great. It’s inctedibily convenient. I mean, comparing a smartphone with a hundred gigs of memory half full of music with a Sony Walkman from 1987 is laughable. Convenience, quality, and selection is amazing today compared to then.

But I found that I missed the feeling of buying something and having a physical representation of that music in my hands. CDs were a thing. Vinyl records are an even greater “thing” with better art (album art is not close to what it used to be), and sometimes cool extras (like the zipper on “Sticky Fingers” or the banana sticker on “The Velvet Underground amd Nico”). I dig that. A Vinyl record encourages you to listen to a whole album start to finish and not to jump around with a pre-set playlist. You find yourself liking songs that you didn’t like a year ago and that you might have never put on a playlist. It’s a collaborative experience with the artist. It’s like going to a fancy restaurant where they serve you the food the way they intend and not like the cafeteria style of digital music. Sitting and listening to vinyl is it’s own experience. It’s not a background thing while you workout or do your taxes or paint your bathroom. It’s a thing all to itself. Maybe with a beverage or a smokable if that’s your thing (not a smoker myself and ironically, smoke is bad for vinyl records).

I’m not an audiophile snob. I’m an experiantialist and vinyl is an experience that is different from iTunes.

I dig it.

I now have a modest collection of about 200 of my favorite albums of all time. It’s cool, imho. I can see it. I can touch it. I can show it to friends. My wife is even kind of learning to appreciate it.

Is the parallel to scroll down your iTunes library? That’s just not a thing to me. Maybe I’m just old and of a certain generation where the physical nature of vinyl matters to me. I doubt millennials care and that’s fine. I dig it.

I sill have about 700 CDs. In my basement. In storage.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Double albums were awesome. Great way to clean your weed back in the day and weed then had plenty of seeds to get rid of. Oh the memories
laX

Post by laX »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:05 pm I grew up with vinyl as a kid. I remember my parents spinning classics like Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the USA.” I also remember Christmas albums and some local folk music in vinyl (Gordon Lightfoot, Charlie Maguire, etc.).

I, of course had cassette tapes for my Billy Idol and Duran Duran years. But by the time I was a teenager and getting into more serious rock music, CDs had come out and I went right into them (first CD: “The Razor’s Edge” by AC/DC) I never owned any of my favorite albums from my formative years on vinyl. I had CDs. But I liked having something. Digital music is great. It’s inctedibily convenient. I mean, comparing a smartphone with a hundred gigs of memory half full of music with a Sony Walkman from 1987 is laughable. Convenience, quality, and selection is amazing today compared to then.

But I found that I missed the feeling of buying something and having a physical representation of that music in my hands. CDs were a thing. Vinyl records are an even greater “thing” with better art (album art is not close to what it used to be), and sometimes cool extras (like the zipper on “Sticky Fingers” or the banana sticker on “The Velvet Underground amd Nico”). I dig that. A Vinyl record encourages you to listen to a whole album start to finish and not to jump around with a pre-set playlist. You find yourself liking songs that you didn’t like a year ago and that you might have never put on a playlist. It’s a collaborative experience with the artist. It’s like going to a fancy restaurant where they serve you the food the way they intend and not like the cafeteria style of digital music. Sitting and listening to vinyl is it’s own experience. It’s not a background thing while you workout or do your taxes or paint your bathroom. It’s a thing all to itself. Maybe with a beverage or a smokable if that’s your thing (not a smoker myself and ironically, smoke is bad for vinyl records).

I’m not an audiophile snob. I’m an experiantialist and vinyl is an experience that is different from iTunes.

I dig it.

I now have a modest collection of about 200 of my favorite albums of all time. It’s cool, imho. I can see it. I can touch it. I can show it to friends. My wife is even kind of learning to appreciate it.

Is the parallel to scroll down your iTunes library? That’s just not a thing to me. Maybe I’m just old and of a certain generation where the physical nature of vinyl matters to me. I doubt millennials care and that’s fine. I dig it.

I sill have about 700 CDs. In my basement. In storage.
very cool reply - thanks :)
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

I was too lazy to clean teh weed. so all my sweaters had burn holes from popping seeds -- a mini fireworks show every time I lit up (circa 1970s)