Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

The Dirt

Music forum.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

The Dirt

Post by cmd24 »

Comes out today on Netflix. I'm really not sure what to think. I feel like it's going to be cheesy, but I have nothing to back that up. I've read The Dirt, however. I know I'll watch it, but I have this feeling that it's going to be a let down. Maybe Bohemian Rhapsody and Straight Outta Compton spoiled me for music bio-pics.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: The Dirt

Post by Lightning »

I know zero about it, how it looks, who's in it, etc but I'll check it out. I have visions of "Hysteria – The Def Leppard Story" though.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Lightning wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:56 am I know zero about it, how it looks, who's in it, etc but I'll check it out. I have visions of "Hysteria – The Def Leppard Story" though.
I think I do, too. That might be why I have a bad feeling about it. And maybe the Netflix only release. That shouldn't make we hesitant about it, because I know Netflix has good stuff.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Do you think they'll talk about how Vince Neil killed a dude?
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

That 'd be a huge omission if they didn't acknowledge that chapter in their run.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Night Train wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:24 pm Do you think they'll talk about how Vince Neil killed a dude?
They do. Kill a guy and do a couple weeks in the pokey.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Just watched it. It's not Def Leppard story bad, but it certainly isn't Bohemian Rhapsody. Other than the Vince Neil actor, I didn't think the casting was horrible. Beyond that, I'm not sure how much justice they could do to that book. Certainly one of the best music autobiographies that I've ever read.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

cmd24 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:47 am Just watched it. It's not Def Leppard story bad, but it certainly isn't Bohemian Rhapsody. Other than the Vince Neil actor, I didn't think the casting was horrible. Beyond that, I'm not sure how much justice they could do to that book. Certainly one of the best music autobiographies that I've ever read.
Have you been blocked from the main forum? My back can't handle the workload much longer. :doublefinger:
Ketchup can be nuancy
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Ask Not wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:27 pm
cmd24 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:47 am Just watched it. It's not Def Leppard story bad, but it certainly isn't Bohemian Rhapsody. Other than the Vince Neil actor, I didn't think the casting was horrible. Beyond that, I'm not sure how much justice they could do to that book. Certainly one of the best music autobiographies that I've ever read.
Have you been blocked from the main forum? My back can't handle the workload much longer. :doublefinger:
Some of us have a job-ish.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I kinda like the Crue, so take this in the spirit it is offered.

Vince has not aged well...

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Yikes...
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:10 pm I kinda like the Crue, so take this in the spirit it is offered.

Yikes...

That was like a legit 'shreds' video for vox. Hysterical.
-

Got Root?
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:10 pm I kinda like the Crue, so take this in the spirit it is offered.

Yikes...
The last few live performance videos of seen of them have been terrible. It’s bad enough that poor Mick Mars has to stand up there with the physical issues he has. But then you take Vince’s singing, and it’s a shame. I can’t tell if he’s out of breath, forgot the words, or both!
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

Joe Dirt was better than The Dirt.

Hell, Joe Dirt II was better.
laX

Post by laX »

watched it last night - not bad. i was entertained. had no idea mick mars had such health issues.... dude could shred
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

I appreciated the recreations of the video shoots and the different eras of duds they wore. I sorta forgot how into them I was when I was 14.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Who knew Ramsay Bolton could play guitar?
laX

Post by laX »

i thought razzle was slash for some reason - my wife kept trying to talk to me and didnt catch who he was until the obituary
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
Dude

Post by Dude »

Watched this on Saturday. It wasn't horrible, but it would be tough to recommend to anyone who wasn't a huge fan of 80's metal or Motley Crue. Nothing happened in the movie that wasn't common knowledge to fans of that genre aside from the poolside piss licking contest- which was bizarre.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Herky wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:00 pm Who knew Ramsay Bolton could play guitar?
I’m just about done with the most recent Eddie Trunk podcast, that has Nikki, Tommy, Ramsay, and the dude that played Nikki. Ramsay said he actually plays in real life. They also had to all attend a band camp, of sorts, before they started shooting the movie. Machine Gun Kelly (Tommy) is the only one that had any professional music experience.
Herky

Post by Herky »

cmd24 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:32 pm
Herky wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:00 pm Who knew Ramsay Bolton could play guitar?
I’m just about done with the most recent Eddie Trunk podcast, that has Nikki, Tommy, Ramsay, and the dude that played Nikki. Ramsay said he actually plays in real life. They also had to all attend a band camp, of sorts, before they started shooting the movie. Machine Gun Kelly (Tommy) is the only one that had any professional music experience.
I'll have to check that out.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Hard to believe any of them are still alive. I thought it was decent. Huge MC fan back in the day. Going to go see Vince in Fargo in June at Ribfest. Heard he sucks now but I’m going for the ribs more than his music
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Lies that were told in the movie
https://youtu.be/UuHvN4l6amY
Blandon

Post by Blandon »

I thought the movie was awful. Bad cast. Worse acting. The characters were all written very one-dimensionally.

If you knew the basic story, you learned nothing from watching this movie.

City Pages summed up their review with "bad wigs plus bad acting equals a bad movie."
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I thought it was okay. Too much material for under 2hours, though. It did a shallow wade into some deep moments (sixx’s Overdose, the death of Vince’s daughter, the car crash thing, the breakup, etc.). Those are heavy life moments that didn’t hit hard in the movie because it was trying to tell everything and didn’t properly set up those moments or give them the time they are due.

Probably would have been a better movie if they didn’t try to go ‘81 all the way to the mid-90’s. Too much story to tell and they did a disservice by just dabbling in everything and not really digging into anything. Made for a shallow story.

But it was kind of funny at times. I didn’t hate it.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:31 pm Hard to believe any of them are still alive. I thought it was decent. Huge MC fan back in the day. Going to go see Vince in Fargo in June at Ribfest. Heard he sucks now but I’m going for the ribs more than his music
Zoltan is worth the price of admission alone.

cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Blandon wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:34 pm I thought the movie was awful. Bad cast. Worse acting. The characters were all written very one-dimensionally.

City Pages summed up their review with "bad wigs plus bad acting equals a bad movie."
How do you propose writing the characters, when they’re coming from the book/real life?

And, what did you expect to learn from it, that you didn’t already know? If you’ve read the book, of course you’d learn nothing. If you haven’t read the book, there wasn’t much more you could learn that wasn’t on Behind The Music. Nobody is going to watch this movie, that isn’t really a fan of the Crue.

At least this wasn’t as bad as the Def Leppard movie.
Blandon

Post by Blandon »

cmd24 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:16 pm
Blandon wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:34 pm I thought the movie was awful. Bad cast. Worse acting. The characters were all written very one-dimensionally.

How do you propose writing the characters, when they’re coming from the book/real life?

And, what did you expect to learn from it, that you didn’t already know? If you’ve read the book, of course you’d learn nothing. If you haven’t read the book, there wasn’t much more you could learn that wasn’t on Behind The Music. Nobody is going to watch this movie, that isn’t really a fan of the Crue.

For example: Mick Mars is portrayed as physically ill and grumpy. That's it. Completely flat character.

How to do better? Maybe ask Mick Mars "is there something we should know about you apart from what's in the book or Behind the Music? Then include that info in the movie. Is that expecting too much?

I hoped to learn something I didn't know about Mars or the others. And I didn't.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

I'm not much of a Crue fan but watched this last night.

The lifestyle of Rock & Roll excess and debauchary is intriguing and revolting at the same time. Kind of like a car crash. I would call the movie the same, cool & gross (cool story to tell, gross lifestyle).
There is nothing redeemable from a cinematic critique standpoint. The only good acting performance was from David Costabile (Doc McGhee) and not much was even asked of him. MGK as Tommy Lee was pretty likable and certainly had a visual similarity as they aged, but was still just a decent at best debut acting performance.

2/5 dongs.
Lampin'
Herky

Post by Herky »

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:31 pm Hard to believe any of them are still alive. I thought it was decent. Huge MC fan back in the day. Going to go see Vince in Fargo in June at Ribfest. Heard he sucks now but I’m going for the ribs more than his music
I think he's up and down but when he's down he's really bad. He still parties from what I've heard so maybe that hinders his singing along with age.

He filled in at the last minute for Lynyrd Skynyrd at the fair here 2 years ago when they pulled out due to a member getting sick. He seriously kicked ass that night. I had heard all the stories and seen the You Tube clips of bad performances but he was on the night I saw him. Might have been rare and it was 2 years ago but I had fun.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Blandon wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:38 am
cmd24 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:16 pm

For example: Mick Mars is portrayed as physically ill and grumpy. That's it. Completely flat character.

How to do better? Maybe ask Mick Mars "is there something we should know about you apart from what's in the book or Behind the Music? Then include that info in the movie. Is that expecting too much?

I hoped to learn something I didn't know about Mars or the others. And I didn't.
Pretty much all of Mars' story is in the the book. Mick Mars was a physically ill and grumpy person, that stayed out of the public. You got the basis of Mars in that era. The meat of his story came later in life, in a stage of the band that they didn't put in the movie. This show was destined to be a hot or cold show because they tried to squeeze a pretty damn good book in to two hours. It wasn't possible. They took some liberties with some of the story lines, but again, if anyone that read the book was expecting something more out of the movie, then that's on the viewer. I didn't have "Bohemian Rhapsody" expectations of this movie because of that. Iwan spent a fair amount of time on the phone with Mick, per Tommy and Nikki during an Eddie Trunk interview, and garnered quite a bit of info from him. And again, he was a very private member of the band, even back then. I don't know how much more they could've got out of him for the time that the movie covers.

Movies are never as good as the books, either. If you haven't read it, I would highly suggest doing so. It's a lot better than what was portrayed.

For the record, I don't think it was a great movie, by any means. I was entertained, but I didn't have high hopes going in to it, so maybe that helped. I would've like to see it go in some of the shit they dealt with coming in to the early 2000's.