Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

the 10 greatest classic rock songs of all-time!

Music forum.
weimy froob

Re: the 10 greatest classic rock songs of all-time!

Post by weimy froob »

judas priest's "breaking the law" 66. creedence's "have you ever seen the rain" 65. songs played on two very different siriusxm's channels i'm sure.

edit: "don't stand so close to me" at 64. all played on different xm channels-but part of the "classic rock song" canon.

second edit: "mrs. robinson" 63. this is played on a different channel than the other three too. this is also a promotional effort for the other stations-so they're casting with as wide a net as they can.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Smoke On The Water
Rock and Roll
Voodoo Child
Sunshine of Your Love
Riders On The Storm
Revolution
War Pigs
Runnin With The Devil
Long Time
Back In Black
Simple Man
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Qman65 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:26 pm Smoke On The Water
Rock and Roll
Voodoo Child
Sunshine of Your Love
Riders On The Storm
Revolution
War Pigs
Runnin With The Devil
Long Time
Back In Black
Simple Man
i heard "war pigs" yesterday-it's in the top 100. :thumbsup:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

third time's the charm. that's what i think we're on right now. around 888 and counting.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

playing my class song right now. i thought the folks that made this decison got it right fwiw. "time for me to fly".
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:48 pm Play some fucking Free Bird
Back in the day if we were in a bar and the band was absolutely horseshit a great way to let them know they sucked was to yell out, "Free Bird!!". Some got it and would either get pissed or pretend they didn't know what you were talking about, some didn't get it and just looked annoyed you'd ask a band playing originals to play a cover.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

This list could easily change if you asked me tomorrow - off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Comfortably Numb/Wish You Were Here
Baba O'Riley/My Generation
Hells Bells/It's a Long Way...
Sweet Home Alabama
Purple Haze
Sweet Emotion
Bohemian Rhapsody/Fat Bottomed Girls
LA Woman
Space Oddity/Fame
Go Your Own Way
Sympathy for the Devil/Gimme Shelter
A Day in the Life/Come Together/Hey Jude/Something/Let It Be/Eleanor Rigby/Revolution/Strawberry Fields../Get Back/Lady Madonna
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

allman bros. "blue sky" registers in at 778. good song to hear today.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Definitive list:
1. Lay it Down
2. Still of the Night
3. Seventeen
4. Wait
5. Miracle Man
6. Daddy, Lover, Brother, Little Boy
7. Too Young to Fall in Love
8. Play with Me
9. Turn Up the Radio
10. Down Boys
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 pm Definitive list:
1. Lay it Down
2. Still of the Night
3. Seventeen
4. Wait
5. Miracle Man
8. Play with Me
9. Turn Up the Radio
10. Down Boys
I lol'd.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

1. Lay it Down
2. Still of the Night
3. Seventeen
4. Wait
5. Miracle Man
8. Play with Me
9. Turn Up the Radio
10. Down Boys
What?

No Ugly Kid Joe?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
shatminster fuller

Post by shatminster fuller »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:29 pm allman bros. "blue sky" registers in at 778. good song to hear today.
That's usually my go-to for favorite guitar break.
Salut les Terriens!
La culture domine tout, elle est la condition sine qua non de notre civilisation…
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

shatminster fuller wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:43 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:29 pm allman bros. "blue sky" registers in at 778. good song to hear today.
That's usually my go-to for favorite guitar break.
:thumbsup:
shatminster fuller

yeah, they're trying to go rogue for some of these. Like a Rolling Stone is normally above Knockin. Gimme Shelter above Devil. No Zep?
If they have Hotel Cal, I assume we can have a little poppier things. Looks like it's more of an age question, like no Radiohead (otherwise I'd have Let Down in here, for example). I'll go:

Layla
Gimme Shelter
Day in the Life
Dream On
Stairway
God Only Knows
Baba O'Riley
Starship Troopers
Space Oddity
The Weight
Last edited by shatminster fuller on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salut les Terriens!
La culture domine tout, elle est la condition sine qua non de notre civilisation…
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

shatminster fuller wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:52 pm yeah, they're trying to go rogue for some of these. Like a Rolling Stone is normally above Knockin. Gimme Shelter above Devil. No Zep?
If they have Hotel Cal, I assume we can have a little poppier things. Looks like it's more of an age question, like no Radiohead (otherwise I'd have Let Down in here, for example). I'll go:

Layla
Gimme Shelter
Day in a Life
Dream On
Stairway
God Only Knows
Baba O'Riley
Starship Troopers
Space Oddity
The Weight
stairway was number one. you must not have opened the spoiler. but your point is taken. i couldn't believe knocking was the dylan song to make the top 10. it's all subjective and i think they put a top 700 song at 1000 to keep people focused on what they had in front of them. just to be played is the thing and it's really your vintage KQ playlist from the late 70's-early 80's on steroids. i think KQdid their all-time 500 show on the 4th of july holiday. this is 1000 songs. "no more mr. nice guy" is 701 and playing right now.

they've been doing it since march 1 and this is the third and final run-through. i've still got pockets that i haven't heard. for example i don't know where "like a rolling stone" is on the countdown because i must have been doing something in the late teens-20 playing. maybe i'll catch it on this trip through.

with it playing through the night-i'll never hear everything-but i've just kept it on channel 30 since i heard they were doing this. heard a lot of them. :coolio:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"simple man" is number 696. how is that not in the top 50? they qualify this list as "the most influental" classic rock songs of all-time-whatever that means. but that's the hook right there-you just don't know where a song you really like will end up on the list.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

This list isn't about what anyone likes though. That's what annoys me for instance when someone claims the Beatles are overrated and it's always someone that doesn't llike their music, ignoring the fact they're arguably the most influential band of all time.

Lists like this will always spark "controversy" or to a lesser extent debate because people allow their own feelings to get in the way. Plus it'd be nearly impossible to get something this immense right. There are bands that should have multiple tracks listed but it looks like they tried to limit it to one song per artist.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:04 am This list isn't about what anyone likes though. That's what annoys me for instance when someone claims the Beatles are overrated and it's always someone that doesn't llike their music, ignoring the fact they're arguably the most influential band of all time.

Lists like this will always spark "controversy" or to a lesser extent debate because people allow their own feelings to get in the way. Plus it'd be nearly impossible to get something this immense right. There are bands that should have multiple tracks listed but it looks like they tried to limit it to one song per artist.
i think they've limited songs from groups-but there's been plenty of pat benatar in the upper hundreds. plenty of the who-which is playing right now at 523, plenty of ozzie, plenty of the doors. it's the classic rock catalog from a typical AOR station in the early 80's on their holiday countdown-and then you multiply by two.

right now at 522 is grand funk's "we're an american band". that tells me i need to keep listening. :coolio:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

This is a tough one but here is mine, I think

Mama Kin
Never Been Any Reason
Fool for the City
Free Bird
Sweet Home Alabama
Cold Gin
Sweet Child O’ Mine
Paranoid
Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers
Snakeskin Cowboy
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:07 pm
1. Lay it Down
2. Still of the Night
3. Seventeen
4. Wait
5. Miracle Man
8. Play with Me
9. Turn Up the Radio
10. Down Boys
What?

No Ugly Kid Joe?
90's is not classic rock, duh!
Dude

Post by Dude »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:17 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:07 pm
1. Lay it Down
2. Still of the Night
3. Seventeen
4. Wait
5. Miracle Man
8. Play with Me
9. Turn Up the Radio
10. Down Boys
What?

No Ugly Kid Joe?
90's is not classic rock, duh!
I hate everything about you.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

lou reed's "walk on the wild side" clocks in at 499.
shatminster fuller

weimy froob wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:04 pm
shatminster fuller wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:52 pm yeah, they're trying to go rogue for some of these. Like a Rolling Stone is normally above Knockin. Gimme Shelter above Devil. No Zep?

Layla
Gimme Shelter
Day in a Life
Dream On
Stairway
God Only Knows
Baba O'Riley
Starship Troopers
Space Oddity
The Weight
stairway was number one. you must not have opened the spoiler. but your point is taken. i couldn't believe knocking was the dylan song to make the top 10. it's all subjective and i think they put a top 700 song at 1000 to keep people focused on what they had in front of them. just to be played is the thing and it's really your vintage KQ playlist from the late 70's-early 80's on steroids. i think KQdid their all-time 500 show on the 4th of july holiday. this is 1000 songs. "no more mr. nice guy" is 701 and playing right now.

they've been doing it since march 1 and this is the third and final run-through. i've still got pockets that i haven't heard. for example i don't know where "like a rolling stone" is on the countdown because i must have been doing something in the late teens-20 playing. maybe i'll catch it on this trip through.

with it playing through the night-i'll never hear everything-but i've just kept it on channel 30 since i heard they were doing this. heard a lot of them. :coolio:
Whoops. Just noticed myself that I left off Like a Rolling Stone. That has to be there.
Salut les Terriens!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the boys are back in town" at 434, "the low spark of high heeled boys" at 432 and "jukebox hero" at 431-for some more chart action flavor for you.

i tried to find the complete list on google and it's not there. someone put it on reddit-but it got removed. i hope once it's done they'll list it-i've got gaps in the listening that aren't going to get filled. this ends early a.m. on march 15.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:18 am
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:04 am This list isn't about what anyone likes though. That's what annoys me for instance when someone claims the Beatles are overrated and it's always someone that doesn't llike their music, ignoring the fact they're arguably the most influential band of all time.

i think they've limited songs from groups-but there's been plenty of pat benatar in the upper hundreds. plenty of the who-which is playing right now at 523, plenty of ozzie, plenty of the doors. it's the classic rock catalog from a typical AOR station in the early 80's on their holiday countdown-and then you multiply by two.

right now at 522 is grand funk's "we're an american band". that tells me i need to keep listening. :coolio:
Never mind. I'm not actually following along with whatever you're listening to I was looking at a Top 100 classic songs list from Rolling Stone (I think).

But my overall point remains a list like this should be more about overall influence in conjunction with staying power and prominence than personal tastes. I would never intentionally listen to Michael Jackson for instance but would never deny his impact on the industry when he was on top.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:04 pm

Never mind. I'm not actually following along with whatever you're listening to I was looking at a Top 100 classic songs list from Rolling Stone (I think).

But my overall point remains a list like this should be more about overall influence in conjunction with staying power and prominence than personal tastes. I would never intentionally listen to Michael Jackson for instance but would never deny his impact on the industry when he was on top.
It's kind of like some list saying that running with the devil or eruption/you really got me is VH's "greatest" song but a VH super-fan would say something like Unchained, Mean Streets or something like that. It's a list for the populace.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:21 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:04 pm

It's kind of like some list saying that running with the devil or eruption/you really got me is VH's "greatest" song but a VH super-fan would say something like Unchained, Mean Streets or something like that. It's a list for the populace.
It's Ice Cream Man you cretin!!
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

C'mon guys, VH should really have it's own thread for cripes sake.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Lightning wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:30 pm C'mon guys, VH should really have it's own thread for cripes sake.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm in a section of the countdown that i've heard before-why am i listening again? it's got me hooked i guess. the reward? right now jim singing "the end". good stuff.

"the west is the best"
Spoiler: