Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Grunge Chat

Music forum.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Grunge Chat

Post by cmd24 »

LordNu's post about STP got me thinking...what do you guys consider the top Grunge artists/albums, whatever? He mentioned he didn't consider STP as one of the main grunge bands. While I certainly don't have issue with that opinion, I've always looked at the grunge scene as being the following:
Nirvana
STP
Soundgarden
AIC (though this may be unfair because they're heavier, and probably cast in the wrong genre, but as a victim of timing)
Smashing Pumpkins (I'm not sure about these guys, but I've seen them lumped in with the above)
Pearl Jam
Temple of the Dog (by default, because they're basically parts of PJ and Soundgarden)

These seem to be the most popular. I know there are plenty that fit in this category, so give us some names that I didn't include. I need to look at some albums, again, because there were a lot of great albums released in this genre, and without going thru and looking at them all again, I don't want to just name one.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Douglas Bubbletrousers
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2018, June 2019***

Re: Grunge Chat

Post by Douglas Bubbletrousers »

I like Nirvana a shitload but couldn't ever get into Soundgarden too much.
I don't give a fig for the simplicity on this side of complexity, but I would die for the simplicity on the other side of complexity.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

They all got lumped together for better or worse.

STP is not grunge.
AIC is basically metal but it's grunge too.
Nirvana is grunge.
Soundgarden is grunge.
I have no idea what Pearl Jam is, it ain't grunge, it ain't metal, it ain't folk. Not the world biggest fan but they are their own deal.
Pumpkins, not even close to grunge. Multi-layered guitars, psychedelic sounds, etc. Not grunge.

You have the other grunge stuff like the Melvins, Mudhoney, etc that never hit huge but would be consider more true grunge I guess.

It's all rock in my book.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:05 pm They all got lumped together for better or worse.

STP is not grunge.
AIC is basically metal but it's grunge too.
Nirvana is grunge.
Soundgarden is grunge.
I have no idea what Pearl Jam is, it ain't grunge, it ain't metal, it ain't folk. Not the world biggest fan but they are their own deal.
Pumpkins, not even close to grunge. Multi-layered guitars, psychedelic sounds, etc. Not grunge.

You have the other grunge stuff like the Melvins, Mudhoney, etc that never hit huge but would be consider more true grunge I guess.

It's all rock in my book.
I can agree with STP not being considered grunge, even though I think they get lumped in there because of timing. Same with AIC. Pearl Jam was, when they first came out. Somewhere along the line, they shifted.

I can see the claim on the Pumpkins. Probably another case of timing. Kind of like what we saw with some "hair" bands and eventually Nu Metal bands. Seems like there are always a handful that get grouped in because of that. It's a bit of why I did it, here.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

For me, the album "Badmotorfinger" epitomizes "grunge." Just the slow, thick, sludgy sound to it.

Nirvana seemed a little punkier to me.
AIC was really a metal band that sludged it up a little, though "Dirt" is pretty synonymous with grunge too.
STP was just a rock band.
Pear Jam, I never got into, but they had a folk-y kind of CSNY vibe to them.

That think, slow muddy Soundgarden stuff was grunge to me.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

That opening guitar salvo... that's grunge. To me, anyway.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:09 pm For me, the album "Badmotorfinger" epitomizes "grunge." Just the slow, thick, sludgy sound to it.

AIC was really a metal band that sludged it up a little, though "Dirt" is pretty synonymous with grunge too.

SXM Lithium has been talking about Superunknown a bunch, lately. 25 year anniversary, and all.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Soul Asylum kinda got thrown into the "grunge" mix too, but they really weren't, IMHO.

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:11 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:09 pm For me, the album "Badmotorfinger" epitomizes "grunge." Just the slow, thick, sludgy sound to it.

SXM Lithium has been talking about Superunknown a bunch, lately. 25 year anniversary, and all.
Yeah, it's crazy how many of the great albums of my youth are turning 25 and 30...even 35 ("Master of Puppets" came out 33 years ago yesterday!).

Damn, I'm old!

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

FYI, Black Sabbath's first album turns 50 next year!

Heavy Metal is almost 50 years old...

- Carl Jung
laX

Post by laX »

pearl jam?
silverchair, bush, sonic youth
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

laX wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:16 pm pearl jam?
One of my absolute favorites!

Frogstomp is one of those albums that I always listen to from start to finish, and not skip songs.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:19 pm

Frogstomp is one of those albums that I always listen to from start to finish, and not skip songs.
Have to part ways with you on that one.

My friends and I used to call them "Silver Highchair."

'cause they were kids... get it?

- Carl Jung
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:26 pm
cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:19 pm

Have to part ways with you on that one.

My friends and I used to call them "Silver Highchair."

'cause they were kids... get it?
Lol...yes, I get it.

I give them credit. They made a pretty gritty album for that first one.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Smashing Pumpkins
Alice In Chains
Sound Garden

STP is a tweener but not 'grungy' enough.

Sure, all those bands fit different criteria, but are ultimatey considered "Grunge" collectively as a
proper noun, and not an adjective. Or is it the other way around? Either way, collectively, they ended the hair band/arena rock era of Rock together, and ushered in a new generation of music, with the forementioned bands sitting on top of the throne.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

The big Seattle four were the original grunge bands:

AIC
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Nirvana

They all knew each other and used to perform with each other. Pearl Jam has evovled but was a grunge band (Eddie Vedder makes jokes about how he doesn't want to bring back the grunge era at times).

Smashing Pumpkins I don't really consider grunge, but they were around at the time I guess. STP were a grungey sort of band. Temple of the Dog was just a precursor for PJ and Soungarden. Mad Season was a All-star lineup. May as well mention Screaming Trees.

You also had the pre-grunge bands like Mother Love Bone, Green River, Mudhoney (who were also in the grunge period).

Silverchair was a grunge band that evolved, they were 13 years old when Frogstomp came out!
laX

Post by laX »

seriously? i thought maybe 15,16.... 13???
impressive
really, their songs arent all THAT basic either.
Herky

Post by Herky »

A lot of that music was Alternative but was labeled Grunge. Grunge artists to me were.....

Mudhoney
Alice In Chains
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

Some people say Bush was grunge but I don't think so.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Herky wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:56 pm A lot of that music was Alternative but was labeled Grunge. Grunge artists to me were.....

Mudhoney
Alice In Chains
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

I hated the "alternative" label. Alternative to what? Other music? Isn't all music an alternative to other music?

It became such a hipster thing to do, back before being a hipster was a thing. As though you were smarter and better than anyone because you listened to "alternative" music. So much more refined and sophisticated than "regular" music for the drooling masses.

Brought to you by David Geffen.

- Carl Jung
Herky

Post by Herky »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:15 pm
Herky wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:56 pm A lot of that music was Alternative but was labeled Grunge. Grunge artists to me were.....

Mudhoney
Alice In Chains
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

I hated the "alternative" label. Alternative to what? Other music? Isn't all music an alternative to other music?

It became such a hipster thing to do, back before being a hipster was a thing. As though you were smarter and better than anyone because you listened to "alternative" music. So much more refined and sophisticated than "regular" music for the drooling masses.

To me alternative music has been happening for decades. True alternative music was the stuff that college radio played and wasn't popular with the mainstream. But the "pop alternative" bands of the 90's and 2000's did achieve commercial and radio success. I remember my local rock station playing "Back In Black" by AC/DC and then going into "Possum Kingdom" by The Toadies. Then they would play The Rolling Stones and go into Seven Mary Three. 120 Minutes on MTV allowed a lot of those bands to get noticed by the mainstream. Then like hair metal, there were so many "alternative" bands out there it just sort of killed that genre off per say. I still think alternative music is out there, but am talking about the bands in the 90's and 2000's that defined that era. I'm sure in the 80's New Wave started out as alternative as well and then they got big with radio and MTV play.

Remember the band Lit? They are bro country now. They gave up their original sound and moved into a different type of music.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Herky wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Mudhoney
Alice In Chains
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

To me alternative music has been happening for decades. True Alternative music was the stuff that college radio played and wasn't popular with the mainstream. But the "alternative" bands of the 90's and 2000's did achieve commercial and radio success. I remember my local rock station playing "Back In Black" by AC/DC and then going into "Possum Kingdom" by The Toadies. 120 Minutes on MTV allowed a lot of those bands to get noticed by the mainstream. Then like hair metal, there were so many "alternative" bands out there it just sort of killed that genre off per say. I still think alternative music is out there, but am talking about the bands in the 90's and 2000's that defined that era. I'm sure in the 80's New Wave started out as alternative as well and then they got big with radio and MTV play.

Remember the band Lit? They are bro country now. They gave up their original sound and moved into a different type of music.
I remember Lit. Didn't much care for them, but didn't hate them or anything. I'd probably hate them now... bro country? Ish!

Isn't it stupid that going from one completely awesome song like "Back in Black" to another like "Possum Kingdom" (a top-10 all-time song for me... seriously) is some sort of outlandish move by that station? I mean, they're both absolute bangers for different reasons. Both are on my phone. Why shouldn't they be played back-to-back?

- Carl Jung
Herky

Post by Herky »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:35 pm
Herky wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:31 pm

To me alternative music has been happening for decades. True Alternative music was the stuff that college radio played and wasn't popular with the mainstream. But the "alternative" bands of the 90's and 2000's did achieve commercial and radio success. I remember my local rock station playing "Back In Black" by AC/DC and then going into "Possum Kingdom" by The Toadies. 120 Minutes on MTV allowed a lot of those bands to get noticed by the mainstream. Then like hair metal, there were so many "alternative" bands out there it just sort of killed that genre off per say. I still think alternative music is out there, but am talking about the bands in the 90's and 2000's that defined that era. I'm sure in the 80's New Wave started out as alternative as well and then they got big with radio and MTV play.

I remember Lit. Didn't much care for them, but didn't hate them or anything. I'd probably hate them now... bro country? Ish!

Isn't it stupid that going from one completely awesome song like "Back in Black" to another like "Possum Kingdom" (a top-10 all-time song for me... seriously) is some sort of outlandish move by that station? I mean, they're both absolute bangers for different reasons. Both are on my phone. Why shouldn't they be played back-to-back?
There defiantly was a mix of people requesting songs back when people still called in and did that. The "older" crowd clamored for the classic rock and the "younger" crowd all wanted that new alternative sound. I was in college from 1995-2000 and it was a strange time but I liked the music. Rock radio had to include the new stuff to survive.

The weird thing is they never played Iron Maiden. They had a all Metallica show Sunday nights, played Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, but I never once heard that station play Maiden. Rock 108 out of Waterloo was the station.
laX

Post by laX »

Mudhoney
Alice In Chains
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

nah, there's a lot more to "grunge" than that. you just listed bands from seattle. bush is definitely grunge. people tend to bank on where it began and draw the line there. or draw it up to fashion.
this has been a good thread...
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

laX wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:34 pm

Mudhoney
Alice In Chains
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

nah, there's a lot more to "grunge" than that. you just listed bands from seattle. bush is definitely grunge. people tend to bank on where it began and draw the line there. or draw it up to fashion.
Bush was grunge, but it's like there is this "pure" grunge which only the Seattle 4 were part of.
laX

Post by laX »

LordNu wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:12 pm
laX wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:34 pm

Mudhoney
Alice In Chains
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

Bush was grunge, but it's like there is this "pure" grunge which only the Seattle 4 were part of.
yep - i think a good percentage of people just go to seattle when trying to think of this genre
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Where do Husker Du and the Replacements fall into the mix? They are the precursors to Seattle.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Dude

Post by Dude »

zeitgeist wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:01 am Where do Husker Du and the Replacements fall into the mix? They are the precursors to Seattle.
They were part of what started it. Mudhoney and the Melvins brought it to the Northwest, which inspired the bands listed above that brought it mainstream.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Blast from the past, on this thread...I picked up the Mother Love Bone album Apple last night. Got thru just about all of it today. Very, very good album. Definitely fits that PJ/Soundgarden sound.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

cmd24 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:02 pm Blast from the past, on this thread...I picked up the Mother Love Bone album Apple last night. Got thru just about all of it today. Very, very good album. Definitely fits that PJ/Soundgarden sound.
I've been making a habit of grabbing a few random discs every night while I'm out working. I listened to their compilation disc a few times last week. I forgot how good it was/they were. Under the assumption that Seattle would've still 'blew up' like it did, I have no doubts they would've achieved nearly the same level of success as Pearl Jam had Wood not passed away. One of my all-time favorite albums is the 'Temple of the Dog' disc--that probably wouldn't have happened had it not been for Andrew's untimely death.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Angry Waters wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:58 pm
cmd24 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:02 pm Blast from the past, on this thread...I picked up the Mother Love Bone album Apple last night. Got thru just about all of it today. Very, very good album. Definitely fits that PJ/Soundgarden sound.
I've been making a habit of grabbing a few random discs every night while I'm out working. I listened to their compilation disc a few times last week. I forgot how good it was/they were. Under the assumption that Seattle would've still 'blew up' like it did, I have no doubts they would've achieved nearly the same level of success as Pearl Jam had Wood not passed away. One of my all-time favorite albums is the 'Temple of the Dog' disc--that probably wouldn't have happened had it not been for Andrew's untimely death.
I’m in the middle of a book about Alice In Chains, and that’s what led me to pick this up. One thing I caught during the song Man Of Golden Words, is that the lyrics reference living in the temple of the dog. Without doubt g a deep dive on the band, I’m assuming that’s where they got the name. Also, I didn’t realize there were three songs to come out of that era, dedicated to Andrew Wood. Obviously “Say Hello 2 Heaven”. The other two were “Would?”, and then Candlebox’s “Far Behind.” This is according to that book anyway.

Oddly enough, I hadn’t thought of Candlebox being in that grunge genre, but it makes sense. No idea why I would’ve missed that. They really don’t fit any other sound, right now.

The AIC book is interesting in that it’s not an official biography, and the band wouldn’t do any interviews for it. It’s all done thru mutual friends/connections. It’s good, so far, but it does leave me wondering how accurate it really is. There are some timeline things that seem to be rather vague.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

cmd24 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:08 pm
Angry Waters wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:58 pm
I’m in the middle of a book about Alice In Chains, and that’s what led me to pick this up. One thing I caught during the song Man Of Golden Words, is that the lyrics reference living in the temple of the dog. Without doubt g a deep dive on the band, I’m assuming that’s where they got the name. Also, I didn’t realize there were three songs to come out of that era, dedicated to Andrew Wood. Obviously “Say Hello 2 Heaven”. The other two were “Would?”, and then Candlebox’s “Far Behind.” This is according to that book anyway.

Oddly enough, I hadn’t thought of Candlebox being in that grunge genre, but it makes sense. No idea why I would’ve missed that. They really don’t fit any other sound, right now.

The AIC book is interesting in that it’s not an official biography, and the band wouldn’t do any interviews for it. It’s all done thru mutual friends/connections. It’s good, so far, but it does leave me wondering how accurate it really is. There are some timeline things that seem to be rather vague.
What's the name of the book? I didn't realize that about the song 'Golden Words'. I guess I never really thought about where they got the name Temple of the Dog. Cool little tidbit, though. I read a book on Layne "Layne Staley: Angry Chair" several years ago. It was arguably one of the saddest things I've ever laid eyes on. He actually contributed to the book. Needless to say, it was an excruciating read, knowing he was deep in the throes of addiction. For anyone considering to shoot heroin for the first time, this book should be a required read. Not trying to compare the two, but reading parts of that book was the equivalent to watching Shindler's List. Good read, though, for anyone who is a fan of Chains/Staley.