Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

bands with thee worst fan bases

Music forum.
LordNu

Re: bands with thee worst fan bases

Post by LordNu »

All this Tool fanbase hate. I Iove the band, but I actually don't know any other people that listen to them so don't get a chance to talk about them.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

And sadly, I really like Korn. At least their first couple of albums. But they’re kind of like Van Halen in the way that they were good, but they opened the door for a whole bunch of horrible bands.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

LordNu wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:31 pm All this Tool fanbase hate. I Iove the band, but I actually don't know any other people that listen to them so don't get a chance to talk about them.
I like tool and most of my friends do too, but I don’t think any of us would consider ourselves hardcore tool fans. I mean, don’t you have to put out an album more than once a decade to get that kind of following?

- Isaac Asimov
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

I'm not saying they're the worst, but there's a Kiss fan working at speedway today that had a long line waiting to check out and she's just chatting away with the customers about the Kiss concert she's going to. There were 4 people in front of me and she's taking her sweet ass time... then she tries to talk to me about Kiss (I'm not that big a fan) and I humored her and asked why they have so many farewell tours, rhetorically of course but she starts in on the history and I'm just itching to get my change and exit gracefully. She was still talking about them as I was walking out the door.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:33 pm
LordNu wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:31 pm All this Tool fanbase hate. I Iove the band, but I actually don't know any other people that listen to them so don't get a chance to talk about them.
I like tool and most of my friends do too, but I don’t think any of us would consider ourselves hardcore tool fans. I mean, don’t you have to put out an album more than once a decade to get that kind of following?
Ohh man, I listen like maybe once every six months, WHAT DOES THAT MAKE ME?!?!?!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

What are the bands with the best fanbases then?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

LordNu wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:42 pm What are the bands with the best fanbases then?
Iron Maiden.

- Isaac Asimov
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:46 pm
LordNu wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:42 pm What are the bands with the best fanbases then?
Iron Maiden.
... You know I actually thought of them first as well.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

LordNu wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:48 pm
Iron Maiden.
They are absolutely huge everywhere on earth except the good ol’ USA.

I consider that an indictment of American pop culture.

- Isaac Asimov
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:57 pm

Iron Maiden.

That's actually quite weird. Who do you have instead of Iron Maiden? Metallica?
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Iron Maiden.

There are American bands that have bigger followings overseas than they do in America. Rival Sons, Alter Bridge, Black Stone Cherry, to name a few. Granted, these are newer bands (though Alter Bridge is essentially Creed with a much better frontman), but it’s still an indication that rock and roll isn’t high on the radar in America.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

LordNu wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:48 pm

I would say the Maiden/Priest crowd. Metallica would definitely be another.

While I get NT’s point about Kiss fans, I’d also argue the opposite and say they are a pretty solid group. I’ve been to two Kiss shows, and I’ve always been impressed with the way those people act. Very much a community, oddly enough. Same way with Rush.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:11 pm

I would say the Maiden/Priest crowd. Metallica would definitely be another.

While I get NT’s point about Kiss fans, I’d also argue the opposite and say they are a pretty solid group. I’ve been to two Kiss shows, and I’ve always been impressed with the way those people act. Very much a community, oddly enough. Same way with Rush.
That's because the crowd is full of Canadians.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cmd24 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 pm

There are American bands that have bigger followings overseas than they do in America. Rival Sons, Alter Bridge, Black Stone Cherry, to name a few. Granted, these are newer bands (though Alter Bridge is essentially Creed with a much better frontman), but it’s still an indication that rock and roll isn’t high on the radar in America.
I think that's probably it. But it's a little deeper than that. America has a much more "now" culture than other countries. In other countries, it's still cool to like shit that isn't currently on the top of the charts. In American pop culture, that's frowned on. There isn't as much respect for what came before. It's a very temporary, transient, and (in my opinion) fake culture.

I'm so 2008
You're so 2000-late

-Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas in a line that was stupid when it was new and has not aged well.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Metallica is probably the biggest of the rock/metal bands in the US. Probably, but I could hear arguments for others, I guess.

And Maiden is popular here. They tour the US and sell out arenas very consistently. But it's definitely outside the mainstream. Maiden has plenty of US fans, but the US has never really embraced Maiden in full. They never really crossed over in terms of radio play or MTV (aside from the very early years of MTV when it was a niche network) or anything like that. They're almost like this huge, massively successful underground phenomenon in the US. It's weird.

- Isaac Asimov
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:04 pm

Metallica is probably the biggest of the rock/metal bands in the US. Probably, but I could hear arguments for others, I guess.

And Maiden is popular here. They tour the US and sell out arenas very consistently. But it's definitely outside the mainstream. Maiden has plenty of US fans, but the US has never really embraced Maiden in full. They never really crossed over in terms of radio play or MTV (aside from the very early years of MTV when it was a niche network) or anything like that. They're almost like this huge, massively successful underground phenomenon in the US. It's weird.
I listen to a community radio station here, and a few months ago they played Rhime of the Ancient Mariner in full, just because they could.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

LordNu wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:28 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:04 pm

I listen to a community radio station here, and a few months ago they played Rhime of the Ancient Mariner in full, just because they could.
That is a good song, but Rick Dees would never let that happen on commercial US radio!

- Isaac Asimov
Herky

Post by Herky »

Metallica fans are so divided. You have different segments of fans that only like certain eras. The most vocal seem to be the ones who think the only good Metallica albums stop when The Black album came out.

Maiden fans celebrate pretty much all of their albums.
laX

Post by laX »

this fanbase is pretty fucking annoying, too

i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Herky wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:39 am Metallica fans are so divided. You have different segments of fans that only like certain eras. The most vocal seem to be the ones who think the only good Metallica albums stop when The Black album came out.

Disagree. The “Blaze Bayley” Maiden albums are not highly regarded by Maiden fans.

It was only two albums out of a 40 year, 16 or 17 album career, but that era is best left forgotten.

The Paul D’Anno albums are loved and embraced, but not the Bayley ones. Underrated in that discussion is that Adrian Smith was also not with the band during the Bayley era. He went solo too and worked with Bruce Dickinson. In some ways, solo Bruce Dickinson was more Maiden than Maiden during the second half of the 90s.

***EDIT***
I guess I don’t disagree that much. Maiden fans are united, unlike Metallica fans, and I think that was your point. So take my post as commentary on yours, not necessarily disagreement.

- Isaac Asimov
Herky

Post by Herky »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:46 am
Herky wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:39 am Metallica fans are so divided. You have different segments of fans that only like certain eras. The most vocal seem to be the ones who think the only good Metallica albums stop when The Black album came out.

Disagree. The “Blaze Bayley” Maiden albums are not highly regarded by Maiden fans.

It was only two albums out of a 40 year, 16 or 17 album career, but that era is best left forgotten.

The Paul D’Anno albums are loved and embraced, but not the Bayley ones. Underrated in that discussion is that Adrian Smith was also not with the band during the Bayley era. He went solo too and worked with Bruce Dickinson. In some ways, solo Bruce Dickinson was more Maiden than Maiden during the second half of the 90s.

***EDIT***
I guess I don’t disagree that much. Maiden fans are united, unlike Metallica fans, and I think that was your point. So take my post as commentary on yours, not necessarily disagreement.
We are on the same page. :thumbsup:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’m all for the good-natured ribbing back and forth and all, but those videos were both terrible.

- Isaac Asimov
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:32 pm And sadly, I really like Korn. At least their first couple of albums. But they’re kind of like Van Halen in the way that they were good, but they opened the door for a whole bunch of horrible bands.
Korn was trash but a couple bands that came after were a lot better. Deftones were basically at the same time and a MUCH better band. Slipknot is better than Korn, Mudvayne is better than Korn. But yeah, a lot of Nu Metal is crap.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

laX wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:20 pm i'd dick punch fans of the following:

*any country band
* dave matthews
* phish, dead, for some reason kenny chesney
* dirty hippy progressive blue grass folk - i.e. trampled by turtles
You mind is closed.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!