Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

STP? shit or brilliant?

Music forum.

STP? Shit or brilliant?

Crap
6%
Decent
50%
Another faux grunge band
6%
Great
39%

Total votes: 18

Tony Bongwater

STP? shit or brilliant?

Post by Tony Bongwater »

My first rock and roll love at the age of 13 listening to Core. Given the history what say you? Core was great, and Purple was made for MTV unplugged, but came out a year too late.. then chester grabbed the head and they became resurgent... meanwhile Scott made Slash relevant again.. what say you?

Be Stone Temple Pilots worthy?

Yea or nay?
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
Tommy_Hawk

Re: STP? shit or brilliant?

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Both. Depends which song.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

They were outstanding. A lot better musicians than what they’ve really been credit for. Can’t discount that Scott Weiland is one of the best frontmen of all time. That’s not to say he was one of the best singers, though. He had an extremely strong presence, however.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Saw them in 1993 with The Butthole Surfers at Trout Air, with the Meat Puppets in 94 at Roy Wilkins, at 93X Fest in 2000, and for their 2008 reunion tour also at Roy Wilkins. Wasn't disappointed with any of them and the reunion show might have even been the best one. Good luck to Jeff Gutt not having the same fate as Weiland and Chester.

btw does Trout Air even have shows any more?
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Slap Shot wrote: ↑Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 am Saw them in 1993 with The Butthole Surfers at Trout Air, with the Meat Puppets in 94 at Roy Wilkins, at 93X Fest in 2000, and for their 2008 reunion tour also at Roy Wilkins. Wasn't disappointed with any of them and the reunion show might have even been the best one. Good luck to Jeff Gutt not having the same fate as Weiland and Chester.

btw does Trout Air even have shows any more?
I was at XFest in 2000, too. Wasn’t really a fan of them, at the time. Their show that evening sold me in them, big time. Couldn’t get enough STP after that. Saw them at Roy Wilkins later that fall. You’re right, they never disappointed at a live show.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Pretty good.

Not great.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Dude

Post by Dude »

I'd put STP as one of the great rock bands of the 90s. While they didn't seem unique at the time considering everything that was coming out, they released three very good albums.

It's a shame Weiland couldn't control his addictions.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Dude wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:47 pm I'd put STP as one of the great rock bands of the 90s. While they didn't seem unique at the time considering everything that was coming out, they released three very good albums.

I'd argue four...obvi you're counting the first two. Which other do you count? Tiny Music, or No. 4?
Dude

Post by Dude »

cmd24 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:50 pm
Dude wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:47 pm I'd put STP as one of the great rock bands of the 90s. While they didn't seem unique at the time considering everything that was coming out, they released three very good albums.

I'd argue four...obvi you're counting the first two. Which other do you count? Tiny Music, or No. 4?
Tiny Music. I never got into 4 as much as the others.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Dude wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:51 pm

I always thought Tiny Music was deceptively great. Clearly not as regarded as the first two, but just "different". Much more of a groovy album.
Dude

Post by Dude »

cmd24 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:53 pm

I always thought Tiny Music was deceptively great. Clearly not as regarded as the first two, but just "different". Much more of a groovy album.
That's a good way to put it. It was different enough from the first two and while I was skeptical at first, it pulled me in and I really liked it.
laX

Post by laX »

absolutely brilliant
if scotty wouldve kept to a manageable dosage, this band wouldve had some serious staying power

rip every singer theyve ever had
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

laX wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:28 pm absolutely brilliant
if scotty wouldve kept to a manageable dosage, this band wouldve had some serious staying power

True, but then we may have missed out on Velvet Revolver had Weiland held it together. VR and STP are in a class of their own as equals.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I always thought shangra la de da was the gem everyone missed. Hell, many people never knew they even released it. Got some amazing tunes.

Robert deleo is an insane writer/bassist. Unsung bass hero.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Moses Scurry wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:37 pm

I always thought shangra la de da was the gem everyone missed. Hell, many people never knew they even released it. Got some amazing tunes.

Robert deleo is an insane writer/bassist. Unsung bass hero.
I probably didn’t give that one the listen it deserved. Hated the first release off it, and even though I have the disc, I never really gave it a fair shake. I should go back and listen.

Yes, De Leo is good. So is his brother. Underrated musicians, I think.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Decent. They aren't one of the mainstay Grunge bands that were the epitome of the era, but they were a decent band.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Definitely one of the better grunge bands, but grunge was destined for a short run. No body wants to stay that depressed and gisgruntled for very long.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

They aren't really grunge IMO, they are 95% pop-rock. I think the first record pigeon holed them as grunge. Hell, they are from San Diego and weren't even part of the grunge scene. I think it's because he sounded like Eddie Vedder a bit one the first album.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

They weren't grunge but they weren't pop-rock either.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Slap Shot wrote: ↑Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:26 pm They weren't grunge but they weren't pop-rock either.
They were a grunge-influenced glam band. They were closer to GnR than Soundgarden but were marketed as grunge when they came out due to the popularity of the genre at the time.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Dude wrote: ↑Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:00 am
Slap Shot wrote: ↑Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:26 pm They weren't grunge but they weren't pop-rock either.
They were a grunge-influenced glam band. They were closer to GnR than Soundgarden but were marketed as grunge when they came out due to the popularity of the genre at the time.
This is a good comparison. Kind of the same way GnR was lumped in with the hair bands, even though they were closer to gritty rock and roll than the hair bands.

Maybe, the real discussion should be how many grunge bands were truly that, or just lumped in with them because of timing.
Herky

Post by Herky »

STP was Alternative. Decent band that put out some good songs. Their MTV Unplugged album is really good.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

Lol. Totally forgot I made this thread. Went into a deep STP hole that night. I agree with most of what's been said here. The first two albums, to me are great rock and roll. Perhaps not great grunge, but great rock and roll. The Deleo brothers are highly underrated imo, and you get that sense from anyone who's ever tried to play their catalog or collaborated with them. Of course the drugs fucked over Scott, who was a modern day jagger in that his voice wasnt exactly breaking any ceilings, but he had that presence. Tiny music is an album much like"white pony" from the deftones for me in that it was a bit of a departure from what I expected and was so much of an evolution for a third album from the first that it took me a while to grasp it. Once I did, I did fall in love with though.

The rest is hit and miss for me, but 3 great albums puts them in rarefied space....

Fucking good band.

Btdubs.. theres hope for the future.

https://youtu.be/dGQlCrtfGik
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

I saw one of Weiland’s last shows with The Wildabouts shortly before his passing.

At one point he literally stood at the front of the stage yelling “Suckin’ On Chilidogs” for at least a minute straight.

It was pretty sad to see somebody in that state and he was dead less than six months later. My buddy and I were honestly surprised he lasted that long after what we saw.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Scott Weiland's book "Not Dead, and Not For Sale" is a pretty good read for any reading music fans. Certainly not some cutting edge thing, but still a solid read.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Wicked Garden, Sex Type Thing, Plush, Interstate Love Song, Dead and Bloated, Creep. Good stuff.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

Andy Granatelli would tell you that it's the Racer's Edge. but he's dead

Linda Vaughan looked pretty good in their T-shirts
Dude

Post by Dude »

-Jaymo- wrote: ↑Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:29 am

I saw one of Weiland’s last shows with The Wildabouts shortly before his passing.

At one point he literally stood at the front of the stage yelling “Suckin’ On Chilidogs” for at least a minute straight.

It was pretty sad to see somebody in that state and he was dead less than six months later. My buddy and I were honestly surprised he lasted that long after what we saw.
There's a live version of Crackerman on youtube that I came across from one of his last Wildabouts shows. Crackerman is one of my all time favorites, but Weiland was barely conscious during the song and was just going through the motions. It was really sad. Not surprisingly he was dead a short time later.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

This song tho...

I can't help but crank the volume to the max and put the hammer down once it kicks in