Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Historically underrated bands

Music forum.
Lenny5160

Re: Historically underrated bands

Post by Lenny5160 »

cmd24 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:01 pm
Nancy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:59 am Toad The Wet Sprocket
I hated these guys, when I was younger. I've found, as I get older, I'm really starting to dig them. I can't honestly call them under/overrated, because I haven't followed them long enough. I can tell you when they come on the SXM or Pandora, I do NOT change the station. Rather, I catch myself singing along.
I like TTWS also. The phenomenon above, I had that with Oasis. I didn't like them when they blew up probably because everybody liked them. Many years later, I got Dish Network installed at my house and came across an Oasis show while exploring HDTV for the very first time. I couldn't turn the channel. Recorded that show and watched it several times.

I'm sort of doing that with Wilco right now. Didn't catch the hype train and I haven't listened to anything remotely new yet. Started at the beginning and giving those early albums and shows a few listens.
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Lenny5160 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:46 pm
Nancy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:59 am Toad The Wet Sprocket
I hated these guys, when I was younger. I've found, as I get older, I'm really starting to dig them. I can't honestly call them under/overrated, because I haven't followed them long enough. I can tell you when they come on the SXM or Pandora, I do NOT change the station. Rather, I catch myself singing along.
I like TTWS also. The phenomenon above, I had that with Oasis. I didn't like them when they blew up probably because everybody liked them. Many years later, I got Dish Network installed at my house and came across an Oasis show while exploring HDTV for the very first time. I couldn't turn the channel. Recorded that show and watched it several times.

I'm sort of doing that with Wilco right now. Didn't catch the hype train and I haven't listened to anything remotely new yet. Started at the beginning and giving those early albums and shows a few listens.
Tweedy was in Uncle Tupelo before Wilco. You might want to check them out. After they split up, the other two members started the band Son Volt. Their first album Trace was pretty good.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:43 pm

Tweedy was in Uncle Tupelo before Wilco. You might want to check them out. After they split up, the other two members started the band Son Volt. Their first album Trace was pretty good.
HUGE Uncle Tupelo fan. Was more of a fan of Jay's songs so gravitated toward Son Volt and didn't pay attention to Wilco. Just getting there now and I like the early stuff best when it was a more simple sound.

Saw Son Volt at the zoo last August and already have my ticket for First Ave in April.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Lenny5160 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:42 pm

HUGE Uncle Tupelo fan. Was more of a fan of Jay's songs so gravitated toward Son Volt and didn't pay attention to Wilco. Just getting there now and I like the early stuff best when it was a more simple sound.

Saw Son Volt at the zoo last August and already have my ticket for First Ave in April.
Lol, that's awesome. I saw you were listening to the early Wilco stuff, so thought you may be into SV and UT.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:55 pm
Lenny5160 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:42 pm

Lol, that's awesome. I saw you were listening to the early Wilco stuff, so thought you may be into SV and UT.
What really got me started with Wilco was reading the book about them "Learning How To Die" just for the Uncle Tupelo part of the story, but then goes through making all the albums up through Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. So as long as I was reading about the albums I started listening along.

Fun Fact: May 1, 1994 is the day Uncle Tupelo played their last show and broke up immediately after. Same day, earlier, my favorite historical F1 driver Ayrton Senna was killed in a crash.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I love all of it - Son Volt, UT and Wilco although I haven't listened to a ton of Wilco since probably Sky Blue Sky.

I assume you guys already know of the following but I'd also recommend The Jayhawks and Golden Smog.

I wish Chris Mars was still making music. I thought Handshoes and Hand Grenades as well as 75% Less Fat were excellent records.
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 am I love all of it - Son Volt, UT and Wilco although I haven't listened to a ton of Wilco since probably Sky Blue Sky.

I assume you guys already know of the following but I'd also recommend The Jayhawks and Golden Smog.

I wish Chris Mars was still making music. I thought Handshoes and Hand Grenades as well as 75% Less Fat were excellent records.
One of my roommates in college had Tomorrow the Green Grass and I still play and love that whole album. Haven't gotten too deep into the Hawks otherwise and haven't really explored Golden Smog either. Never even heard of Chris Mars but might need to throw some on.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Lenny5160 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:37 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 am I love all of it - Son Volt, UT and Wilco although I haven't listened to a ton of Wilco since probably Sky Blue Sky.

One of my roommates in college had Tomorrow the Green Grass and I still play and love that whole album. Haven't gotten too deep into the Hawks otherwise and haven't really explored Golden Smog either. Never even heard of Chris Mars but might need to throw some on.
Golden Smog was sort of an "all-star" lineup that at one time or another has included Kraig Johnson (Run Westy Run), Gary Louris (Jayhawks), Dan Murphy (Soul Asylum), Chris Mars (The Replacements), Marc Perlman (Jayhawks), Noah Levy (Bodeans), Jeff Tweedy and Jody Stephens (Big Star). Incidentally Big Star (and member Alex Chilton) had a huge influence on Paul Westerburg.
laX

Post by laX »

did anyone say radiohead yet?
also matthew sweet is terribly underrated. he's huge now. like fat.
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

laX wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:45 pm did anyone say radiohead yet?
Great call on Radiohead although they were pretty fucking big for a while especially since OK Computer. They've had 6 albums reach Top 3 in at least one chart position since that one.

I enjoyed Matthew Sweet but didn't listen much after 100% Fun.

For local bands on a national level:

Trip Shakespeare
Flaming O's
The Suburbs
Tapes 'n Tapes
Lenny5160

Post by Lenny5160 »

laX wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:45 pm also matthew sweet is terribly underrated. he's huge now. like fat.
Good call on Matthew Sweet. He and Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles have done a couple albums of covers songs. Pretty good!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

The Who

Apparently a lot of people on the main board think they suck.

cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:09 pm The Who

Apparently a lot of people on the main board think they suck.
Even if people over there think The Who sucks, I don’t know that you could say that they’re underrated. Way to influential.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Tony Bongwater wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:33 pm Soul Coughing: theres not a bad song on any of those three albums.

Deftones: though they get plenty of love they get filed under chick music by the uninitiated and their influence is titan. Not to mention they've stayed true to themselves and their sound while other bands keep trying to "go back to the first album".

Fugazi: those of us who know them know better but they've been forgotten by the masses.. which they probably love.

Fiona Apple: went the opposite way of most artists and used her pop album to fund becoming an excellent jazz singer.

Tal Wilkenfeld: was introduced to her as a 14 year old bassist playing with Jeff beck, and ripping shit apart.

https://youtu.be/blp7hPFaIfU

But shes pretty good on her own

https://youtu.be/iyLDSNPWZb0
You need mental help with this crew. I understand that you like shitty music but to each his own. :roll:
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

Norah Jones, i effing love this woman
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

Qman65 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:08 am
Tony Bongwater wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:33 pm Soul Coughing: theres not a bad song on any of those three albums.

Deftones: though they get plenty of love they get filed under chick music by the uninitiated and their influence is titan. Not to mention they've stayed true to themselves and their sound while other bands keep trying to "go back to the first album".

Fugazi: those of us who know them know better but they've been forgotten by the masses.. which they probably love.

Fiona Apple: went the opposite way of most artists and used her pop album to fund becoming an excellent jazz singer.

Tal Wilkenfeld: was introduced to her as a 14 year old bassist playing with Jeff beck, and ripping shit apart.

https://youtu.be/blp7hPFaIfU

But shes pretty good on her own

https://youtu.be/iyLDSNPWZb0
You need mental help with this crew. I understand that you like shitty music but to each his own. :roll:
:lol: nothing like critically acclaimed/ ground breaking/ genre defining/ technically elite talent that says shitty music.

Whats your vibe lumpy? Motley crue?
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
Herky

Post by Herky »

RALPH MALPH wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:14 am Norah Jones, i effing love this woman
My brother saw her preform in a bar in Iowa City shortly before she got big. He said it was awesome and then a few months later they were hearing songs she played there on the radio. I remember him texting me the next day saying how amazing she was.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Black Star Riders is really good if you like Thin Lizzy. Scott Gorham is in it and they have a lot of elements of Thin Lizzy to it.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I like Mathew Sweet. Girlfriend, Sick of Myself, Come to California, Where You Get Love, etc. all really good pop/rock songs.

I think Radiohead is too big to be underrated. But I’d argue that their album “The Bends” is criminally underrated. I think that’s a top-10 90s record. Easy. Just perfect song after perfect song. They became critics’ darlings with OK Computer and everything after, but I kinda thought they got a little too artsy and avant-garde for my tastes. But “The Bends” is just a beautiful album start to finish.

Incidentally, I have a vinyl copy of it that I got autographed by the whole band at First Ave after a show in the 90s. Similar records are listed for $1K on eBay!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

I love radiohead, but I dont think they can be considered underrated. Very few bands can boast of 3 albums on par with "The Bends" "Ok Computer" and "Kid A".
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:55 pm King's X. Musician's love them, some say they are the original grunge band. Acquired taste I supposed.

"Jerry Gaskill has a vivid memory of being chased down the street by Layne Staley of Alice In Chains. Gaskill’s band, the Texan trio King’s X, had rolled into Seattle on the tour to promote their debut album, 1988’s Out Of The Silent Planet. Many of the leading players in the city’s nascent grunge scene had turned out to see them, including members of Soundgarden and Mother Love Bone as well as Alice In Chains.

It was after the show that Gaskill found himself accosted by Staley. The Kings’s X drummer was on his way to get some food when he heard footsteps hammering behind him.

“I see this guy hurtling down the street towards me, going: ‘Jerry! Jerry! I love your band, man!’” remembers Gaskill, as softly spoken and modest a man as you could ever hope to meet. “It was Layne. For some reason they all were really supportive of us up there. We became friends with a lot of those guys.”

Staley wasn’t the only superstar besotted with King’s X. In the early 90s, at the height of his own band’s success, Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament declared on MTV that “King’s X invented grunge”."
This
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

Stork311 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:47 amThe Kinks.

Yes....
And Qman65's choice of Thin Lizzy..
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

jakazz30 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:13 pm
Stork311 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:47 amThe Kinks.

Yes....
And Qman65's choice of Thin Lizzy..
Thanks Jazz, they Montrose, UFO and Humble Pie were the most underrated IMO.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:14 am Dire Straits- Mark Knopfler; an all time Iconic guitarists/frontman. He has the riffs we all know by heart to prove it.

Talking Heads- David Byrne: True Original. The fuckin' Talking Heads. Listener's Choice Top Acclaimed Band of the 80's. Chris Frantz's drum echoing off the walls of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Yet, you never hear their name brought up in conversation.

Zz Top- Gibbons, Hill, and Beard. One of the best trios in Rock & Roll history. They taught us all that ever girl's crazy about a sharp dressed man. Not afraid to be themselves.

Men at Work- They're like Toto, but good. Colin Hay; get to know him.
Colin Hay is getting a ton of play in my house recently. A few years back I’d listen to Men at Work and his name kept popping up as a suggestion (me not knowing he was the lead for MAW). I ignored it for months.

“Waiting for my new life begin” phenomenal