Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Concert memories?

Music forum.
bubu dubu.

Concert memories?

Post by bubu dubu. »

A couple of mine

Cypress Hill opening for The Offspring:
Cypress Hill was awesome. They called some people on stage for some stage diving, and one guy wussed out. The members of Cypress got the crowd to boo him, as they threw their water bottles at him. In front of us was a couple rolling a joint on their infant sons head...the Offspring was awful, we left about half way through their performance.

Green Day/Blink 182:
A buddy and me jumped to the floor from our seats. Got caught by security and kicked out. Found a scalper selling tickets for full price, even though the concert was half over. Told him we only had $10, he told us no deal. Walked around the block, came back to him and he asked us if we still had that $10. Got back into the concert, and down on the floor.

Bob Dylan:
Got real high off of our own stuff, as well as endless amounts being passed around. I was like 16 or 17 at the time, and then noticed one of my teachers sitting a row in front of me to the left, and my uncle in the same row a little to the right. All of a sudden got paranoid thinking they probably saw me smoking, which they may or may not have. Then all of a sudden started feeling like they were paranoid that I may have saw them smoking (which I never did). Throughout the rest of the concert, I noticed them both trying to make subtle looks back toward me, to see if it was actually me, always looking worried. Ended up running into the teacher after the concert, in line to buy some merchandise. We talked a bit about the concert, and class, etc...never bringing up that we were sitting pretty near to each other.
Slap Shot

Re: Concert memories?

Post by Slap Shot »

I've been to a LOT of fucking shows. I mean a LOT OF FUCKING shows. Not as a brag but everybody had something they were really into and for me it was music and sports.

I was 10 in August 1978 and my brother was 16. My parents were out of town and he was tasked with taking care of me and my younger sister. When he had a chance to see the Eagles, Steve Miller and Pablo Cruise at Met Stadium he pawned my sister off to a neighborhood friend and instead of doing the same with me got 1 extra ticket and brought me along. 65,000 people, a shit ton of rain and my first experience with that smell (smell only). Luckily I was into all 3 bands so the music wasn't just a sideshow for me. Never forget it.

The Who Civic Center 1980. Sadly I didn't get to see them with Keith Moon but even with Kenny Jones on drums The Who were in peak form. When they played Baba O'Riley the place blew up.

KISS and Judas Priest Met Center 1979. My aunt brought me and my cousin for my 12th birthday (a month early but hey it's a great present) and I mean come on KISS was 100% in my wheelhouse at that age and before they jumped the shark. Has to pretend in front of my aunt that I didn't know what that smell was. Great time.

U2 Met Center Joshua Tree tour 1991? The last time I remember camping out on Nicollet avenue for tickets at Daytons. We bought tickets for both nights and it was a true rock spectacle.

Grateful Dead, Alpine Valley, 3 shows July 1989. In what is considered one of the best string of shows ever by the Dead these shows were part of a long trip I took that summer to 6 different cities. I remember the long line of cars before reaching entry into the AV compound with shirtless dudes walking up and down the street asking/selling tickets and barking out, "DOSES, mushrooms, KIND BUD!!". Fatty Circle back stage with a few members of the band after the first show. It rained a shit ton the 2nd night. For the 3rd show I remember walking down the path that runs along the golf course. There's this very large tree just before the entrance into the venue with a huge limb running vertically several feet above the ground. Some guy is perched up there and offering free liquid to anyone willing to open their mouth as they walked by. I did and the evening was glorious.

REM Green Tour, Alpine Valley, September 1989 just a few months after the Dead shows. REM at its peak and they really did rock the place out. Also saw REM once at 7th St Entry, First Avenue and under a fake name at an after bar show at the 400. Got high with Peter Buck and Mike Mills between sets.

Pink Floyd Live 8 reunion, Hyde Park, London 2005. Don't think anything more needs to be said.

Roger Waters In the Flesh Tour 2000 Target Center. We were properly buzzed and I couldn't have gone with a better set of friends that appreciated Roger's music. We were 5th round center stage and although TC wasn't known for it's sound quality but his crew managed to put it together and it is easily one of the best large venue shows I've ever been to.

Summit Beer Party at Harriet Island 2006. Cake, Soul Asylum, The Suburbs, Richard Thompson, Tapes n Tapes, sun, beer, coke and dozen friends from college having a good time.

Prince Purple Rain tour, front row 2nd night (I think Prince did 4 shows that year). The dad of a friend from high school was a hot shot promoter and secured 20 tickets for a group of us 10 seats each in the middle of rows 1 and 2. Purple Rain was basically our school's soundtrack that year and this was fucking awesome.

The Cure - Wish Tour July 1992 at Target Center. Tripped my ass off and there was some flash flooding that night in Uptown making getting back to the apartment an experience.

AC/DC Xcel 2008. Obviously late into their tenure but Brian Johnson hadn't really started declining yet and Angus/Malcolm were still in pretty solid form. A great blast from the past show.

The first Lollapalooza Harriet Island 1991. Jane's Addiction, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Living Colour, Nine Inch Nails, Violent Femmes , Fishbone, Ice T, Butthole Surfers and Rollins Band. Probably forgot a few. Security wasn't all that much in those days. We found a spot on the grounds 2 days before the concert and buried a ton of weed, vodka and whiskey in a spot we could easily find. When we got there we dug up the bags and bottles and tore that shit up.

Sting Nothing Like the Sun Tour, Harriet Island 1988. General attendance show which was bizarre for such a big name act even then but we managed to secure a bunch of seats up front early on which kind of sucked. It was really fucking hot/sunny and we had to take turns going to get beer/water and take piss breaks but once the show started it was awesome. He played several Police songs to my delight.

Kaiser Chiefs, Weezer, Foo Figthers. You fucking kidding me? Another old school rock and roll show start to finish.

Foo Fighters. Every show I've seen has been as good or better than the first. Just an incredible live band.

Pearl Jam, Tom Petty at the X 2006. Old school rock and roll show. Pearl Jam killed it and the buzz was incredible. I wasn't sure how the crowd (mix of old and young but younger than I expected) would react to Petty but the atmosphere was even more electric with the crowd singing every word to every song start to finish.

Lenny Kravitz, Tom Petty, Met Center 1991. Played drinking games in a room at the Thunderbird before the show and a lot of people got wasted. The only time anyone I've been at a show with got tossed (other than from a bar) and 4 of us got kicked out. Not me though I can hold my shit.

Any bar show by Garbage, The Dandy Warhols, The Suburbs, The Replacements, Husker Du, The Flaming O's, Violent Femmes, Echo & the Bunnymen, Soul Asylum, Midnight Oil, The Church and great shows at 1st Ave, Fine Line, CC Club, The 400, Orpheum, 7th St Entry, Liquor Lyle's, The Cabooze...

This list doesn't even do justice to so many others but I only got so much time for this.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

good write ups.

1980 ACDC

1982 the who

1984 springsteen

numerous dylan concerts. dylan and the dead with joan osborne instead of a dead jerry at apple river. dylan and joni mitchell at target center. dylan and willie and mellencamp on the minor league baseball park tour. dylan and merle. and just dylan shows.

the rolling stones on one of their early 90's tours.

plenty of country acts. i like country.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Dropped acid, Blue Oyster Cult concert, fourteen years old,
And I thought them lasers were a spider chasing me.
On my way home, got pulled over in Rogersville Alabama,
With a half-ounce of weed and a case of Sterling Big Mouth.
My buddy Gene was driving, he just barely turned sixteen.
And I'd like to say, "I'm sorry", but we lived to tell about it
And we lived to do a whole lot more crazy, stupid, shit.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet
With 38 Special and the Johnny Van Zant Band.

One night when I was seventeen, I drank a fifth of vodka,
On an empty stomach, then drove over to a friend's house.
And I backed my car between his parent's Cadillac's without a scratch.
Then crawled to the back door and slithered threw the key hole,
And sneaked up the stares
And puked in the toilet.
I passed out and nearly drowned but his sister, Dedee pulled me out.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet
And the band that I was in played "The Boy's are Back in Town.”

Skynyrd was set to play Huntsville,
Alabama, in the spring of 77, I had a ticket but it got canceled.
So, the show, it was rescheduled for the "Street Survivors Tour.”
And the rest, as they say, is history.

So I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd
But I sure saw Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads in 82
Right before that plane crash.
And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw AC/DC
With Bon Scott singing, "Let There Be Rock Tour".
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:43 pm I've been to a LOT of fucking shows. I mean a LOT OF FUCKING shows. Not as a brag but everybody had something they were really into and for me it was music and sports.

I was 10 in August 1978 and my brother was 16. My parents were out of town and he was tasked with taking care of me and my younger sister. When he had a chance to see the Eagles, Steve Miller and Pablo Cruise at Met Stadium he pawned my sister off to a neighborhood friend and instead of doing the same with me got 1 extra ticket and brought me along. 65,000 people, a shit ton of rain and my first experience with that smell (smell only). Luckily I was into all 3 bands so the music wasn't just a sideshow for me. Never forget it.

The Who Civic Center 1980. Sadly I didn't get to see them with Keith Moon but even with Kenny Jones on drums The Who were in peak form. When they played Baba O'Riley the place blew up.

KISS and Judas Priest Met Center 1979. My aunt brought me and my cousin for my 12th birthday (a month early but hey it's a great present) and I mean come on KISS was 100% in my wheelhouse at that age and before they jumped the shark. Has to pretend in front of my aunt that I didn't know what that smell was. Great time.

U2 Met Center Joshua Tree tour 1991? The last time I remember camping out on Nicollet avenue for tickets at Daytons. We bought tickets for both nights and it was a true rock spectacle.

Grateful Dead, Alpine Valley, 3 shows July 1989. In what is considered one of the best string of shows ever by the Dead these shows were part of a long trip I took that summer to 6 different cities. I remember the long line of cars before reaching entry into the AV compound with shirtless dudes walking up and down the street asking/selling tickets and barking out, "DOSES, mushrooms, KIND BUD!!". Fatty Circle back stage with a few members of the band after the first show. It rained a shit ton the 2nd night. For the 3rd show I remember walking down the path that runs along the golf course. There's this very large tree just before the entrance into the venue with a huge limb running vertically several feet above the ground. Some guy is perched up there and offering free liquid to anyone willing to open their mouth as they walked by. I did and the evening was glorious.

REM Green Tour, Alpine Valley, September 1989 just a few months after the Dead shows. REM at its peak and they really did rock the place out. Also saw REM once at 7th St Entry, First Avenue and under a fake name at an after bar show at the 400. Got high with Peter Buck and Mike Mills between sets.

Pink Floyd Live 8 reunion, Hyde Park, London 2005. Don't think anything more needs to be said.

Roger Waters In the Flesh Tour 2000 Target Center. We were properly buzzed and I couldn't have gone with a better set of friends that appreciated Roger's music. We were 5th round center stage and although TC wasn't known for it's sound quality but his crew managed to put it together and it is easily one of the best large venue shows I've ever been to.

Summit Beer Party at Harriet Island 2006. Cake, Soul Asylum, The Suburbs, Richard Thompson, Tapes n Tapes, sun, beer, coke and dozen friends from college having a good time.

Prince Purple Rain tour, front row 2nd night (I think Prince did 4 shows that year). The dad of a friend from high school was a hot shot promoter and secured 20 tickets for a group of us 10 seats each in the middle of rows 1 and 2. Purple Rain was basically our school's soundtrack that year and this was fucking awesome.

The Cure - Wish Tour July 1992 at Target Center. Tripped my ass off and there was some flash flooding that night in Uptown making getting back to the apartment an experience.

AC/DC Xcel 2008. Obviously late into their tenure but Brian Johnson hadn't really started declining yet and Angus/Malcolm were still in pretty solid form. A great blast from the past show.

The first Lollapalooza Harriet Island 1991. Jane's Addiction, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Living Colour, Nine Inch Nails, Violent Femmes , Fishbone, Ice T, Butthole Surfers and Rollins Band. Probably forgot a few. Security wasn't all that much in those days. We found a spot on the grounds 2 days before the concert and buried a ton of weed, vodka and whiskey in a spot we could easily find. When we got there we dug up the bags and bottles and tore that shit up.

Sting Nothing Like the Sun Tour, Harriet Island 1988. General attendance show which was bizarre for such a big name act even then but we managed to secure a bunch of seats up front early on which kind of sucked. It was really fucking hot/sunny and we had to take turns going to get beer/water and take piss breaks but once the show started it was awesome. He played several Police songs to my delight.

Kaiser Chiefs, Weezer, Foo Figthers. You fucking kidding me? Another old school rock and roll show start to finish.

Foo Fighters. Every show I've seen has been as good or better than the first. Just an incredible live band.

Pearl Jam, Tom Petty at the X 2006. Old school rock and roll show. Pearl Jam killed it and the buzz was incredible. I wasn't sure how the crowd (mix of old and young but younger than I expected) would react to Petty but the atmosphere was even more electric with the crowd singing every word to every song start to finish.

Lenny Kravitz, Tom Petty, Met Center 1991. Played drinking games in a room at the Thunderbird before the show and a lot of people got wasted. The only time anyone I've been at a show with got tossed (other than from a bar) and 4 of us got kicked out. Not me though I can hold my shit.

Any bar show by Garbage, The Dandy Warhols, The Suburbs, The Replacements, Husker Du, The Flaming O's, Violent Femmes, Echo & the Bunnymen, Soul Asylum, Midnight Oil, The Church and great shows at 1st Ave, Fine Line, CC Club, The 400, Orpheum, 7th St Entry, Liquor Lyle's, The Cabooze...

This list doesn't even do justice to so many others but I only got so much time for this.
I was at the Roger Waters and the ac/dc shows you mentioned.

Both were excellent. I got into a fight with a friend after te Waters show, lol.

- Carl Jung
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

oddly enough most of mine happened in bars, except for a few at N.O. Jazzfest and Chicago bluesfest (Chuck Berry and Keith Richards together)

Bars: James Brown, Miles Davis, Freddie King, Albert King, B.B. King, Earl King, Buddy Guy & Junior wells, Gregg Allman, Dr. John, Sun Ra, Sonny Rollins,

took this at the '86 Chicago blues festival
berry.jpg
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Numerous Springsteen shows
Michael Jackson
Jimmy Buffett
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Couple great memories for me:

The first real club show I saw was Sepultura on the "Chaos AD" at First Ave. in March of '94. I was 4 days past my 18th birthday. Fear Factory and Clutch opened for them. I was familiar with both bands, but Clutch blew me away. I became a lifelong fan and still am. I was with a couple friends and we got right up front against the wall. They bailed out after Clutch, but I stayed there for Sep. At the end of the show, Andreas Kisser (guitarist) put his pick in my hand. I still have it. My buddies had a cool experience too, meeting Clutch in the depths of the club.

The very next night, we saw Green Day, also at First Ave. This was before "Basket Case" came out and they blew up, but the album "Dookie" had come out and "Longview" was a mild hit, so I sort of knew who they were. We paid $4 for those tickets. I wasn't a huge fan (way more of a metalhead then), but they put on a good show and I can say that I saw they before they got big, etc. A few months later, they played the Saint Paul Civic Center for like $30/ticket or something. Didn't go to that one!

Two years later, I saw Clutch open for Marilyn Manson. Clutch was great. Manson was cool too. I'm not as into shock rock/goth rock, but I liked some of his music. I was right up front again for Clutch and stayed there for Manson. A goth chick asked me if I'd move so she could be up front. I said no. So she bit me on the shoulder. She drew blood and I had teeth marks for days. I stomped on her foot as hard as I could. I think something crunched. Anyway, she left. Halfway through the show, Manson breaks a beer bottle over his head and stands up on the monitor right in front of me, just a few feet away. He starts to cut his chest with the broken bottle (legit, he had a bunch of scars from doing this before) and tells the crowd "Okay, you sick motherfuckers, I want you all to spit in my open wounds!" Oh shit, I thought as the spittle from a few hundred goth kids comes raining down on me. Oh, well. Gross, but good show and good story.

I saw Metallica later that summer in Somerset, WI with Suicidal Tendencies and Danzig. It was an outdoor show and about 10 of us caravaned down and camped out. Lots of fun. The show was great. Suicidal always puts on a good show. Danzig kind of blew. It wasn't really their crowd. People were milling about, going to the bathroom and getting beers and merch and stuff. Then they played the opening chords to "Mother" and everyone charges the stage and rocks out. Next song: everyone walks away again and goes about their business. Funny. Metallica took the stage at dusk and it gradually got darker as their set went on. If memory serves, they played about 3 hours worth of stuff! Their set ended and it was night. Almost pitch black. Then the encore... the first echoing notes of "One" pierce the night... oh, man... that was cool. The show was awesome, but the shit that happened at the campground was probably even more of a story... I've seen Metallica 3x since then, but never that good.

There was a Nine Inch Nails concert at the Target Center where a crowd-surfer kicked me in the head, so I grabbed his boot off his foot and threw it on stage...

Saw Radiohead twice at First Ave. Both times they were promoting "The Bends," which is my favorite record of theirs. Once, Thom York had a bad cold, but you couldn't tell when he sang, but he was coughing and wheezing between songs. The other time, I bought a vinyl copy of "The Bends" that they were selling at the show (it wasn't released on vinyl in the states until a re-release in 2008) and got the band to sign it. I've only played it once or twice and similar autographed records are listen on eBay for $1-2K. It's still in really good shape, but I suppose I'd have to get the signatures authenticated if I ever wanted to sell it. But I don't!

David Bowie at Roy Wilkins, late 90s. Started out with a solo acoustic version of "Quicksand" that gave me chills. Amazing performer who's voice just got better and better with age.

Saw Iron Maiden in Chicago a couple years ago and a friend of mine caught Eddie's heart after Bruce Dickinson ripped it out of his chest and threw it into the crowd. I have a picture somewhere...

I've seen Clutch headline at least 15 times. My favorite live band. I've met them and talked to them a couple times. I remember talking to (singer) Neil Fallon outside of First Ave after a show (not the show I referenced above). Some chicks interrupted and asked him if he wanted to come party with them in their hotel room. He was gracious and polite in his denial of their request (family man, apparently). When they walked away, he turned to us and gave a "hell yeah" fist pump. Funny.

Also at First Ave. (seen a lot of great shows there!), I saw Valiant Thorr, open for Foxy Shazam and The Darkness. Probably the most unapologetic fun night of Rock n' Roll in my life. All three bands (especially the last two) can really bring it, but don't take themselves or rock music very seriously. Just a good time.

I saw Korn at First Ave about a decade ago. This was after Head left the band, so that's too bad, but they were still very popular and for a band like that to do a club tour was amazing. The opening act was a super-lame DJ thing who spun metal records over dance beats and stuff. Stupid.

In addition to the above-mentioned Roger Waters show, I saw the David Gilmour-led Pink Floyd at the Metrodome in '94, I think. So between those two shows (6 years apart), I can argue that I kind of saw the classic Pink Floyd lineup...

Saw the Jesus Lizard at (guess where) First Ave. David Yow came stumbling onto the stage and fell right into the crowd from the jump. He spent most of the show crowd-surfing. Drunk as hell.

Also saw Page and Plant at the Target Center. I think that was '96. Good show. Plant was better than Page. Jimmy had to sit down for most of the show, but Plant was still bringing the energy. Enjoyable, but it did not bring the bombast that Led Zep was legendary for back in the day.

Saw The Sword at the Triple Rock before it shut down. That was cool. I saw Firewater there too. I got to meet The Sword after the show. Lead singer/guitarist dude is tiny and has very small hands. Not sure how he plays guitar with those tiny things. But they were nice. This was before they totally immersed themselves in the marijuana culture.

Trying to remember what else... I'm sure there's more!

- Carl Jung
Douglas Bubbletrousers
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2018, June 2019***

Post by Douglas Bubbletrousers »

Green Day at Xcel, April 2017.

We got all high before and then stopped in a bar for a couple quick shots, and met a guy there eating a burger by himself with a Misfits shirt on. He was heading to Green Day too. We talked about how the Misfits rule and so does Green Day.

I'm a lifelong Green Day fan and was seeing them live for the first time.
I don't give a fig for the simplicity on this side of complexity, but I would die for the simplicity on the other side of complexity.
Badbeat

Post by Badbeat »

[quote="Slap Shot" post_id=511899 time=1547761411 user_id=160]
I've been to a LOT of fucking shows. I mean a LOT OF FUCKING shows. Not as a brag but everybody had something they were really into and for me it was music and sports.

funny I was 16 when I went to that concert and my brother was 10 but I don't think he was there....

my friend worked at the met center all through the 80's and we went to so many concerts, bob seger, styx, ac/dc, etc etc

foreigner Juke Box hero tour was an odd one for me as I had a bad experience with drugs and became super paranoid. My friends had a way of slipping harder drugs into something a bit more "safe"
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Speaking of connections at Met Center my friend's girlfriend worked in the bar, ("O Club?") and she could get us in there and served regularly even before we were 21.

One time we went there for Prince Lovesexy and a crazy thing happened on the way to the arena. Driving on 494 just after the turn in Eden Prairie around 3 p.m. and traffic was really bad even for a weekday. At one point near an exit (Bush Rd?) traffic from the right light was diverted off 494, over the bridge and back down onto 494. There was an accident just before the bridge and as we got closer we could see a semi had smashed into the back of a car. The car was on fire and you could see someone trapped in the driver's seat.

Not a great mood setter for a rock concert. :(
Verle

Post by Verle »

Johnny and Edgar Winter at the old labor temple in Mpls. Jimi Hendrix at St.Paul auditorium.
Retreat but never cower
Hey good lookin' we'll be back to pick you up later!
I like to get out and dance, and just take over the nightclub. T.J.
Slaying quality Anoka puss on the reg.